Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

The Best Tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-01, 10:18 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

About Tires ~

I am thinking about getting new tires, which ones are the best? I want something that make the least noise and something that is good for everyday city driving and weekly highway driving at around 90mph. I love acceleration and so I tend to floor my gs a lot especially when I am just getting onto a highway. I don't ever spin tires, atleast not intentionally, and safety is number one priority. With all the information, which tires would you guys recommend? Sears told me Michelin Pilot XGT-24B ZR (i think that is the right number), what do you guys recommend?

thanks in advance
Old 04-14-01, 10:34 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb not bad...

take a look at tirerack.com, tons of car dudes feedback.

pilot xgt-z4, not bad. i would also consider:

bridgestone re730
TOYO T1-S
DUNLOPS SP9000

they are all long lasting, quite tyres with reasonable price.(except may be the dunlops)
Old 04-14-01, 10:55 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Default addition to question...

price is not a big issue, my ultimate issue is ride quality/comfort and QUIETNESS !! My stock tires are not quiet ! They produce a roaring sound as if I was driving a racing car on a track. I want it to feel like I am driving a fast lexus on a road.
Old 04-14-01, 11:55 PM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool Bridgestone S-03 Pole Position tires

Wait for the new Bridgestone S-03 Pole Position that will be release first week of May. For more info check Bridgestone website at www.bridgestone-usa.com and select "Technology" then "UNI-T AQII".

I for one am waiting for these tires to be install on my special ordered 18" Lowenhart BR5 next month.

Chu...
Old 04-15-01, 12:01 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Default 17" factory chrome

I only have 17" factory chrome wheels and am not going to upgrade, so for those of you who are going to recommend tires, please keep that in mind, thanks.
Old 04-15-01, 12:03 AM
zz231
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the michelin pilot xgts are excellent tires as far as performance. i have them on my gs and they stick to the road like glue. they are real quite compared to the bridgestones i had on it before. but i heard that the dunlop 9000 are quiter although performance wise they're not as good as the michelins. the tread wear rating on the michelins is better than the dunlops, i think. so they should last longer.
Old 04-15-01, 12:31 AM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool Quiet ride and better traction

One main advantage of Bridgestone S-02 and the new S-03 are the fact that as tire wears down a softer rubber compound is exposed. In normal tires rubber tends to harden at it ages dues to heat therefore lost of good traction. I had Bridgestone S-02 Pole position on my SC400 before I sold it and they were quieter than the Dunlop SP8000 I had before it. Traction and comfort were also better with the S-02. With the upcoming S-03 it should improve even further.

I'm sure you will be able to find the right size for the stock rims you have. Call up TireRack or check their website at www.tirerack.com. Prices and advertisement for the the S-03 is not shown yet but if you call Tirerack they can give you a quote. S-03 price is at the same price as current S-02. Most likely they will drop the price for the S-02 when the S-03 is release. Don't know if they will be discontinuing S-02 right away.

Chu...
Old 04-15-01, 12:43 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Default ~ Q U I E T N E S S ~

if I was going for quietness only, without looking at traction, performance, price, handling, tread, etc, then which ones would be the best, or simply, which tires are the quietest for a gs4 with 17" rims?
Old 04-15-01, 12:51 AM
zz231
Pole Position

the bridgestones would be the quitest
Old 04-15-01, 08:27 AM
GS - T.O.
Driver

I think someone in this forum have Yokohama AVS dB on their ride. How about the quietness on that set of tires? and the performance?
Old 04-15-01, 10:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Default Re: ~ Q U I E T N E S S ~

Originally posted by nanotech
which tires are the quietest for a gs4 with 17" rims?
How is ANYONE supposed to know, except a tire dealer, who may not give you the real answer anyway?

No one here has driven all these different tires. At best GS owners might have had 3 sets of tires.

FYI, I went from the stock Bridgestones on the stock 17s to Nitto 555s on after market 18s, and the Nittos are LOUDER than the Potenzas were. Good traction though, but that might come from a bigger footprint I now have.

I've *heard* (not experienced) good things about SP9000, Toyos, and Yokohama Dbs(?) as far as quietness. My high end tire dealer said Toyos are the way to go because they make the belts tighter than other tires according to him, and that makes the roll smoother and quiet. Could be full of it, too.

Old 04-15-01, 12:04 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

I know no one can give me a straight out answer, but they can atleast tell me which one they think is the quietest, and then I can decide for myself later.

So far, you guys are recommending these:

Bridgestone S-03 Pole Position
Dunlop SP9000
Yokohama AVS dB
Toyos

any others I need to consider? I am also going to talk to several tire dealers sometime this week to see what all they say.

Do you guys recommend snow tires for snow and summer tires for summer or all-seasons? I would think two different tire sets would be better, right? So we continue looking for the quietest and the best ! :-)
Old 04-15-01, 12:22 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

I know no one can give me a straight out answer, but they can atleast tell me which one they think is the quietest, and then I can decide for myself later.

So far, you guys are recommending these:

Bridgestone S-03 Pole Position
Dunlop SP9000
Yokohama AVS dB
Toyos

any others I need to consider? I am also going to talk to several tire dealers sometime this week to see what all they say.

Do you guys recommend snow tires for snow and summer tires for summer or all-seasons? I would think two different tire sets would be better, right? So we continue looking for the quietest and the best ! :-)
Old 04-15-01, 12:43 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Nitto NT 555 Extreme ZR

300AA
Old 04-15-01, 01:15 PM
nikogs400
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Due to a recent run in with potholes and Brooklyn and an moon surface like Belt Pkwy I blew out 3 of my 4 Pirrellis P7000 (which I was very dissatisfied with...they were quiet but wet traction sucked and dry traction didnt get going unless tires were very hot)

So I purchased a set of the Bridgstones re730 which are just as quiet as the Pirellis and thus far all around traction is excellent (Blows away Pirellis)

And not a bad price to boot 160 per tire installed and speed balanced.

So I would reccommend the Bridgestones

NikoGS400

Quick Reply: The Best Tires