Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Need help with 20's and rubbing

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-04, 01:21 AM
durightman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need help with 20's and rubbing

Wassup members,

I have just put a new set of 20x9 rims on stock suspension. I am having a problem with my passenger side rubbing. My tire size is 245/35/20. When there is someone sitting in the passenger side of my car, and I hit a dip in the road there is a loud scrap sound. I cannot tell what is hitting the tire other than the bolt from the upper control arm. This only happens when I have a passenger and my front end dips in the road. Is it a worn spring/strut or what? It doesn't happen on the drivers side. I just put these rims and tires on my ride, so any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-22-04, 02:15 AM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sup dude..

If you are rolling on stock suspension then you should not rub your tires at all. However if you have dropped springs or coilovers it is normal for the tires to rub on the fenderwells whenever u roll over a big dip.

Guys with dubs here with lowered springs rub tires sometimes and it is normal.
Old 08-22-04, 08:50 AM
legendary
Racer

what is your wheel offset?

If you do not know it, it should be stamped on the inner portion of the wheel
Old 08-22-04, 09:28 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Need help with 20's and rubbing

Originally posted by durightman
Wassup members,

I have just put a new set of 20x9 rims on stock suspension. I am having a problem with my passenger side rubbing. My tire size is 245/35/20. When there is someone sitting in the passenger side of my car, and I hit a dip in the road there is a loud scrap sound. I cannot tell what is hitting the tire other than the bolt from the upper control arm. This only happens when I have a passenger and my front end dips in the road. Is it a worn spring/strut or what? It doesn't happen on the drivers side. I just put these rims and tires on my ride, so any help would be appreciated.

I had a similar problem when I changed wheels. Over time, it went away. If it doesn't, you may have to roll the fenders. If the offset is too low, your wheels may be sticking out too far.
Old 08-22-04, 04:59 PM
dagr8tsthustla
Lexus Test Driver

If it's on stock suspension it should'nt be doing that....I have 20x9 on my GS and I only rub b/c I have close to a 2" drop....I rolled my fenders and it still rubs a little on steep driveways....I guess just check the offset.....check suspension...I would recommend upgrading regardless to either coilovers or a good suspension combo...and definately roll your fenders!!! Do it know before you tear them up!!!

Good luck!
Danny
Old 08-22-04, 05:45 PM
durightman
Driver School Candidate

My wheel offset is 35mm. I called my local rim shop where I had them put on and explained the problem I was having. He tells me that I am gonna have a little rubbing because they are 20's. I tried to explain that it only happens when its a pasenger in the front seat, and his advice was that I need to put a spacer on the wheel so the spring doesnt compress as much when I hit a dip. He wants me to bring it up to the shop tomorrow.

Also that front passenger rim seems to stick out a little more than the others. I asked the wheel guy about it and he says that its normal on a lexus. Is this true?

Could my oem spring be worn on that side causing it to compress too much when someone's in the front seat and I hit a dip?

Could the wheel be mounted on the wrong lug hole?

Let me know if I should get the spacer put on.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 08-22-04, 09:32 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't understand. How can a spacer on the wheel (which will push the wheel out even more) help the spring compress less? I have seen mods to the springs to control the compression but I would never do that on my car. And the thing about the passenger side sticking out more is being normal on Lexus, B.S. I've never heard or seen that.

I'm a little nervous about the answers this dealer is giving you.
Old 08-23-04, 02:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

first of all i think you should re-think about trusting what the shop says again. personally i don't see how putting a spacer is going to help anything about the spring compressing

and in fact, from what you just told me here, putting a spacer of any kind would just make things a lot worse. 20x9 +35, that sticks out a lot. considering how soft the stock springs/shocks are, when you hit a deep fast enough and the car dips down enough, it will rub the outside fender. it's rare but it can happen, that's because your wheel sticks out so bad.

i have 20x8.5 +32, that's same as 20x9 +38, and my wheels are so flush with the fender already. with another extra 3mm offset on yours, i can only imagine how far they stick out
Old 08-23-04, 05:44 AM
durightman
Driver School Candidate

You guys are right I did some research on what a spacer is, and that definetly would not work. WTF I am never going to that shop again. I will take it to another shop possibly today. Can this be fixed is my question to you guys I guess?

I believe the wheel is hitting the front fender, but why only on the passenger side. I cannot figure this out. when I'm in the car by myself I never rub.

my rims are 20x9 all the way around. 245/35/20 with a 35m offset. 5x114.3/12

This is frustrating.
Old 08-23-04, 09:11 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It is probably just hitting the plastic fender liner at the top outer portion. You should be able to see the abrasion marks left by the tire contact. I would suggest trimming the plastic out of this area a bit if it bothers you that much.

Have you had the alignment done? Has the car ever been in an accident?
Factors like this can make the car a bit different left-to-right.

I would not suggest a spacer as a fix for this.

BTW, I run 20x9 in front with 255/35-20 and it rubbed a bit on both sides. It was nothing a pair of snips couldn't fix...

Last edited by SoCalSC4; 08-23-04 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-23-04, 10:13 AM
dagr8tsthustla
Lexus Test Driver

My wheel offset is 35mm. I called my local rim shop where I had them put on and explained the problem I was having. He tells me that I am gonna have a little rubbing because they are 20's. I tried to explain that it only happens when its a pasenger in the front seat, and his advice was that I need to put a spacer on the wheel so the spring doesnt compress as much when I hit a dip. He wants me to bring it up to the shop tomorrow.

Also that front passenger rim seems to stick out a little more than the others. I asked the wheel guy about it and he says that its normal on a lexus. Is this true?

Could my oem spring be worn on that side causing it to compress too much when someone's in the front seat and I hit a dip?

Could the wheel be mounted on the wrong lug hole?

Let me know if I should get the spacer put on.

Thanks for the help guys.
Okay....not to defend the guy at the shop b/c he was wrong about this "normal" answer he gave....there is nothing "normal" about the GS....it is in a class all by itself....anyways....what the guy didn't specify was...what kind of spacer???? Spring spacers do exist...but you would not use these on a Lexus....furthermore....if only one wheel is sticking out then check the off set on that one wheel.....it IS possible that while mounting these wheels...they never paid attention to the offset....3 of the wheels could have the right offset and this one wheel could be the wrong one...check it out and see...also what wheels do you have anyways...just to get an idea of how accurate their offsets are..

Also if your car "dips" that much...look into a suspension upgrade....if its stock...then you probably have a monster truck look and you really should'nt be rubbing at all...245/35/20 is only over by a few mm of the OEM wheel diameter...

That's my .02

Danny

Last edited by dagr8tsthustla; 08-23-04 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-23-04, 11:01 AM
durightman
Driver School Candidate

Thx for the info Danny, I will pull the wheel off and look at it today. How do I know which lug holes to mount the wheel on? Could this be the problem as well?
Attached Images  

Last edited by durightman; 08-23-04 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-23-04, 11:07 AM
durightman
Driver School Candidate

The rims are Kaizer Pyramids. Here is what they look like on my car with stock suspension. Its siting so high so how can it rub?
Attached Thumbnails Need help with 20's and rubbing-car.jpg  
Old 08-24-04, 12:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

You guys are right I did some research on what a spacer is, and that definetly would not work. WTF I am never going to that shop again. I will take it to another shop possibly today. Can this be fixed is my question to you guys I guess?

I believe the wheel is hitting the front fender, but why only on the passenger side. I cannot figure this out. when I'm in the car by myself I never rub.

my rims are 20x9 all the way around. 245/35/20 with a 35m offset. 5x114.3/12

This is frustrating.
well every stock GS, when they come in, the left and right sides are not the same height actually. that's why for those with coilovers, you always have different number of coils left and right. could well be the case that the pessenger side is a tad lower than the driver side to begin with?
Old 08-24-04, 10:21 AM
dagr8tsthustla
Lexus Test Driver

Thx for the info Danny, I will pull the wheel off and look at it today. How do I know which lug holes to mount the wheel on? Could this be the problem as well?
The problem won't lie within the bolt pattern....our cars are 5x114.3 and that wheel is the right bolt pattern....it is dual drilled 5x114.3/112 so that it will fit most MB's as well....check the offset on the wheel...if that isn't the problem...i don't know what is???

Quick Reply: Need help with 20's and rubbing