Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

RIM Knockoffs questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-04, 12:09 PM
SC40096
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RIM Knockoffs questions

Any brands you guys know that are notorious for copying other rims or are infamous for making CHEAP rims? Cheap as in "they will break, bend etc withing a couple of months.
Old 08-19-04, 03:50 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, "Panther" rims suck. But I don't care if the design is copied as long as the rim is strong. All rims companies copy off of each other BTW, that's just the business. With this thread you've started you're gonna get all sorts of answers...some will be from guy's who've spent $2500+ on a set of rims...others will be from guys who have spent $1000 or less on a set. I'd say to find some rims you actually like in your price range and then gather opinions on THOSE particular rims

Last edited by mikeloc24; 08-19-04 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-19-04, 04:07 PM
SC40096
Rookie

Well, yeah, I know rim Companies copy each other. I guess I should've just directed my questions more towards "Which Rims will benk, crack etc within a few weeks after you buy them?"
Old 08-19-04, 04:33 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by SC40096
Well, yeah, I know rim Companies copy each other. I guess I should've just directed my questions more towards "Which Rims will benk, crack etc within a few weeks after you buy them?"
I would say the knock offs are not more prone to rim bending but they probably are more prone to have a poor finish that does not last as long. I've bent JDM Weld rims, Manaray Hyper rims, SSR rims, Fittipaldi rims, Axis rims, basically every rim I owned on various pot holes over the years. I also know people running rims like Konig and other knock off brands that have never bent a rim, but their finish seems more likely to chip, or have the clear coat lift, or chrome peel and what not.
Old 08-19-04, 04:50 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Konigs arent knockoffs!

On the other hand, I had Excel rims on my Jetta....pieces of ****!!!!
Old 08-19-04, 07:07 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default knock-offs?

Originally posted by SC40096

Any rim can break regardless of cost. It's how you drive that determine breakage. I hang around the wheel shop enough to have seen the most expensive wheels bent and broken more than the cheaper rims. I don't know if it's because of the rim as much as the attitude of the driver. Guys with money tend to care a little less when they can buy whenever and whatever they want. High end wheels usually have a better warranty also...2yrs versus 1 yr for regular stuff.
As far as copying....wait around long enough and you'll see a design you've seen before. The new Lowenhart LSR is a good example. I like the tri split spoke design but it reminds me of the early ES300 wheels from the early 1990's. Almost identical. As others have said the biggest concern about cheaper wheels is the finish or surface. I had wheels that looked good to me, Zenetti Five...19 inch staggered chrome. Cost $1350. Chrome started peeling off within weeks. Now I have 3 piece JDM wheels of excellent quality. If you search well, you can find wheels that will last that don't cost $3500. Axis, Kaotic, Alba, several others have wheels in the $1500 range that have no finish problems and look pretty good....and they won't break more than any other wheel. Don't be concerned about bending or breaking. Be concerned about getting the best wheel you can afford. My recommendation is save enough money to do it right the first time. I usually buy a set of rims every 2 years. That's part of the modding bug.

Last edited by Ice350; 08-19-04 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-19-04, 09:29 PM
SC40096
Rookie

Thank you gents.
Old 08-19-04, 10:50 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by mteele
My Konigs arent knockoffs!

On the other hand, I had Excel rims on my Jetta....pieces of ****!!!!
Well, I didn't mean it that way I actually like Konig as they make nice looking rims at good prices. Remember, I'm one of the guys defending the more affordable rims
Old 08-20-04, 05:06 AM
jcm3
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ADR..ADR..and ADR..they love to copy all the newer volk styles. They are not very strong and the finish is terrible but what do you expect for a 100 dollar rim. I currently run 18" volk racings after coming from 20" Lsportline (which are very expensive but still bent easily). The volks have hit everything thrown at them and never bent (Chicago roads suck). If you want a cheaper rim then is decently strong look at AXIS they are reasonably priced and pretty sturdy.
Old 08-20-04, 06:18 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rota Subzero rims = the only set of wheels I've ever bent. It bent in 3 places within the 1st week. I wasn't rough on them, I didn't hit any bumps, took it nice and slow...

Konigs Villains = best KNOCK OFF (notice the sarcasm ) wheels I've ever had. No bends or nothing. It did however crack when my rear tire completely disintegrated off my wheel at around 80mph. No bends but it did have a 3/4" crack on the lip which was easily repaired for $40

OZ Saturn Plus = (I only put it here because the design was originally for a Lotus) Best set hands down. Forged, sturdy, strong.
Old 08-20-04, 09:52 AM
The_Hitman
Lexus Champion

Anyone had trouble with, or heard of trouble with 5Zigen rims?
Old 08-20-04, 10:00 AM
kidcapp
Lead Lap

lowenhart wheels bend real easy
Old 08-20-04, 10:51 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i agree with some of the guys, it doesn't matter jow much u spend u can bend most anything out there depending the roads and how u drive, but cheaper wheels tend 2 bend easier but kiddcap made a good point lowenharts do bend fast and they cost a lot of money. u will get cheaper finishes and heavier wheels with lesser companies...i had kongs too and they didn't bend on me when i road on some bad roads in NJ
Old 08-20-04, 11:50 AM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by The_Hitman
From what I have heard they are quality JDM wheels.

-Anthony
Old 08-20-04, 11:59 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default knock offs

Originally posted by The_Hitman

5Zigen is cool.

Quick Reply: RIM Knockoffs questions