Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Is bridgestone SO3s too noisy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-04, 11:39 PM
kapdori
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is bridgestone SO3s too noisy?

quick question.
I am having a problem with tires being too noisy and I am replacing my rear ones with yokohama avs db2s since my rear ones are almost bare. My front ones are still good but I feel noise coming from tires and if its going to help I might just decide to replace fronts ones too. Anybody had any experience with bridgestones SO3s?
thanks
Old 07-10-04, 12:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i had so3, as they started to wear, noisy as hell. still better than the avs sport i got before that, but still, the so3 was pretty bad
Old 07-10-04, 01:20 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
so3, as they started to wear, noisy as hell.
From what I can remember, this seems to be the general feeling of other members here too.
Old 07-10-04, 01:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

for sure redgs4 had the same feeling
Old 07-10-04, 11:03 AM
kapdori
Lead Lap

I see. Since my rear ones are almost bare do you guys think that is causing the noise that I am getting now? I hope getting the yokohama's will make difference.
Old 07-10-04, 08:56 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by kapdori
I see. Since my rear ones are almost bare do you guys think that is causing the noise that I am getting now? I hope getting the yokohama's will make difference.
oh ya if u'r so-3's rgoing bald they will b noisy as hell. it reallt dpends on camber a lot 2 me...the reason i had such issues with them was i was driveing around with a real bad negative camber from being so low and not getting it checked after mt coils settle more. they were real loud, i would sing along with them, the song went like this ,can u "woo woo woooo" ya its was bad. i bought 2 new fronts raised the car 2 even camber and they r as quiet as walking on a rug, but we never lean do we? i slammed the car back down 2 negative camber, i couldn't take the high look hope this helps a little....
Old 07-10-04, 09:43 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for sure redgs4 had the same feeling
Yep, when they wear they are noisy as heck. But I was out of alignment and the tires started to cup which contributed significantly to the noise. While I'm satisfied with the replacement Good Year GSD3's, IMO the S03's were far superior in the handling department.

Next time around I may get the S03's again.
Old 07-10-04, 10:04 PM
kapdori
Lead Lap

Thanks guys,
I hope replacing rear ones will make difference. Since I have SO3s for front ones also, I hope it won't be too noisy, if so I might just replace the front ones too. My dealer didn't do alignment after my l tuned shocks and eibach springs being installed. Car seems fine for alignment issue but should I get alignment checked anyways? would that make difference?
thanks
Old 07-10-04, 11:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by redgs4
Yep, when they wear they are noisy as heck. But I was out of alignment and the tires started to cup which contributed significantly to the noise. While I'm satisfied with the replacement Good Year GSD3's, IMO the S03's were far superior in the handling department.

Next time around I may get the S03's again.
even with all the cracking stories?
Old 07-11-04, 01:00 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

I'd have to check, but I don't recall anyone reporting problems with 18's and smaller. Lot of people with 20's, though.
Old 07-11-04, 01:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by redgs4
I'd have to check, but I don't recall anyone reporting problems with 18's and smaller. Lot of people with 20's, though.
i know 19s got problems too
Old 07-15-04, 08:38 PM
kapdori
Lead Lap

Default I just replaced my rear ones to yokohamas

replaced rear ones but the noise is still there.
I think it helped a little but I guess most of noise is coming from my front ones. I ordered ones for front now. I hope these will help. Since front ones are pretty new I am thinking its not due to tire being bare.
The sound is like if there is a hump on tire and it whooshes faster as speed goes up. You know if there was something stuck to the tire or something. I hope its not something with wheels. could it be because I dealer didn't do a new alignment when I lowered the car? the alignment seems to be fine but I don't want to take any chance. this problem is annoying and I have to get rid of it. I guess I will do a new four wheel alignment when I get the new front tire but what if there is still same noise? do any of you guys know if something like this could be caused by suspension part? or brake or maybe with wheels?
Please help.
thanks
Old 07-16-04, 08:56 PM
Blk04AMG
Driver School Candidate

i had so3, as they started to wear, noisy as hell. still better than the avs sport i got before that, but still, the so3 was pretty bad
true...id recommened them...but only for a short period of time...
Old 07-17-04, 02:09 PM
herragge
Pole Position

I have the SO-3's on my SC430 and yes they are certainly loud. And mine are still new. But the soft compound on the SO-3's compared to the stiffness of the stock runflats made this decision a no-brainer. Still nonetheless a great tire, would definetly get it again.

Michelin and BFGoodrich also have great ultra high performance tires in the same category as the SO-3.
Old 07-18-04, 08:12 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

I have cracking problems. S03 IMO is pure crap.

Stick with Toyos.

Quick Reply: Is bridgestone SO3s too noisy?