Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

245 for 9" , 275 for 10" too Narrow????

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-04, 08:27 PM
BatKing
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 245 for 9" , 275 for 10" too Narrow????

Mods I know this should go into wheels section but since my car is GS and this maybe my cars problem please leave it here for a while

My 98GS4 is having vibrate problem on freeway speed recently. ( I never felt the vibration when the tires was new). Then after reading all those vibration threads I thought maybe I need to tighten my steering rack. and my car is up for 60K service so that will be the time to do it. But in the mean while since I got life-time balance I thought re-balance the tires may fix my problem or at least reduce my problem for temp solution.

but when the guys at America Tire Co take my wheels off, they find out that all four tires has inner thread uneven wear. It is not my camber alignment went bad. it is uneven wear like waves. I don't know how to explain but camber problem will cause thread in left-right (outer-inner) uneven. this is front-rear uneven. and the worse part is for the two left tires, the inner side walls has something like bubbles. it is not very serious but u can see it. and it is not just one bubble. there is bubbles everywhere.

The guys told me that there is nothing they can do. and they even refused to re-balance my tires because they say the tires are already damanged and is unsafe to drive with them. They say the cause of this is due to my tires are too narrow for the wheels. I got 19X9 front 19X10 rear both offset +39. the tires sizes are 245/35/19 front 275/30/19 rear. they say I need 265/35/19 front, 295/30/19 rear. I am like WTF. isn't that my tires' size is standard for my wheels size?

the tires only has about 10k miles on them and still has tons thread left. Anyone has this problem? is it the tire or my car? why I only get bulb on left tires? Sorry for the long writing.

Last edited by BatKing; 07-01-04 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-01-04, 08:40 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

I have the same size rims and am running 245 and 285. any larger in the front and you will have big time rubbing if the car is lowered a bit. 265 in front will only fit if you have a wide body kit.

As far as the "waves" that you mentioned, the problem may actually be that your shocks are dead. I had that problem with my previous car and this resolved when the shocks were replaced.

hope this helps
Old 07-01-04, 08:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

thats BS, that size will work no problem on the wheel size man....

how about alignment, are they off? besides camber, how about toe?

Last edited by rominl; 07-01-04 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-01-04, 08:47 PM
BatKing
Rookie

Thanks for the reply, I got Tien CS which is about 20K miles old. I don't know if it is bad but I don't hear any sound when passing speed bump. also the ride is still firm and solid but not too bounce. which is typical CS feeling.
Old 07-01-04, 08:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

oh and btw, are you sure the tq values on the lug nuts are all the same and within spec?
Old 07-01-04, 08:59 PM
BatKing
Rookie

Originally posted by rominl
thats BS, that size will work no problem on the wheel size man....

how about alignment, are they off? besides camber, how about toe?
I did the alignment when I put on the new wheels and tires(10k miles ago). but this uneven wear is actually always there . Since my tire is none directional. when the tire was about 5K miles, I did exchange left and right, it seems right tires are always better then left.
Old 07-01-04, 09:02 PM
BatKing
Rookie

Originally posted by rominl
oh and btw, are you sure the tq values on the lug nuts are all the same and within spec?
Noop. I didn't get a toqure Wrench. and I did over toqure some lug nuts. that is why today I bought myself a toqure wrench and re-toqure all the nuts to 80-lb-ft. I also put the right wheels to the left again.

Is this the problem?

PS: rominl, are you in San Jose? I always want to meet you and see your car because your car is like my dream car. I always wanted my car look exactly like yours. maybe we should meet sometime. BTW I am from Macau so cantonese....... no communication problems.

Last edited by BatKing; 07-01-04 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-02-04, 12:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by BatKing
Noop. I didn't get a toqure Wrench. and I did over toqure some lug nuts. that is why today I bought myself a toqure wrench and re-toqure all the nuts to 80-lb-ft. I also put the right wheels to the left again.

Is this the problem?

PS: rominl, are you in San Jose? I always want to meet you and see your car because your car is like my dream car. I always wanted my car look exactly like yours. maybe we should meet sometime. BTW I am from Macau so cantonese....... no communication problems.
oh gosh, talk about being close. i live in santa clara and work in san jose. rmmgs4 lives like 5 mins away from me (and i mean it). definitely some weekends when we have little get togethers you should come out! maybe you can just buy my car as is, so you don't have to worry about anything?

about the tq values, yes, that COULD be a problem. if you tightened them too much or didn't tighten them correctly (correct values all around), the wheels could spin differently and causing the wheel to shake a bit. this could definitely contribute to the uneven tire wear you experiencing. not saying it has to be the case, but it can be.

but yes, definitely meet up some time i can use some practice on my cantonese

Last edited by rominl; 07-02-04 at 12:36 AM.
Old 07-03-04, 09:02 AM
blueGS400
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default thats perfect

dude i sale rims and tires for a living the setup u have is perfect and i have it myself except for i have 20" ld1's..... i have 20x9 and 20x10 with 245 front and 275 rear.....absolutely perfect.....u did neglect to mention what kind of tires u have....tell me what brand and model u have....maybe i can be of assistance.....u need to find a shop in your area that has a roadforce balancer like we have....may be hard though, balancer alone is like 15 thousand bucks..... it is made by hunter.... this balancer will tell u if u have a rim that is out of round.... a tire that is an egg (though sometimes u cant see it with naked eye) or if the tire needs to be rotated on the rims to a different degree for a smoother ride..... very few companies that sale rims have this machine because it sometimes means they have to double work and switch out product with manufacturer if problem found... they just prefer to go by old saying "you mount them, you own them".... well i dont do business that way and dont appreciate those who do.... my machine has caught problems before the wheel and tire ever goes on the vehicle and i have dealt with problems before the customer ever has a problem....check into toyo T1s tire, it is the best ive ever had, the nitto nt555 is a close second.......hope ive been of some assistance to you..... let me know if i can be more......in future if anyone is interested in wheels/tires look up rhudy's car audio in fayetteville, nc and ask for mike 910-630-2020 ext 134.....i can ship them to you at good price already mounted/balanced & ROADFORCED!!!!!!
Old 07-03-04, 09:58 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the correct FT. LBS. that the lugs on wheels should be tightened???

Last edited by johnee78; 07-03-04 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-03-04, 10:44 AM
tytgs300
Lead Lap

Question

blueGS400 or anyone

what offset should it be for the rims if I go with 20x8.5 front/ 20x9 rear and Im using Eibach 1" lowering springs f/r ? Also, would the Eibach make my setup look ok, or would it still give me the 4x4 looks with them 20s on ? anyone has pic of 20s on Eibach kit i can look at ? tks
Old 07-03-04, 10:55 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by tytgs300
blueGS400 or anyone

what offset should it be for the rims if I go with 20x8.5 front/ 20x9 rear and Im using Eibach 1" lowering springs f/r ? Also, would the Eibach make my setup look ok, or would it still give me the 4x4 looks with them 20s on ? anyone has pic of 20s on Eibach kit i can look at ? tks
A +38 offset all the way around would work fine and you will get closure in your wheel gap with eibach springs, but I would suggest saving your money and getting coilovers instead..You can still get a great ride and the adjustibilty in your ride height.. Hope this helps..
Old 07-03-04, 11:34 AM
tytgs300
Lead Lap

I aggreed with johnee78. Also after reading the wheel fitment thread by rominl, it looks like this setup 20x8.5 +38 F, 20x9.5 +38 R is best w/o modification. I donno about 20x8.5 +32 F, 20x10 + 43 R . I have Eibach on right now and dont want to spend anymore $$ on suspension as I need wheels new rollers for now. I was wondering if 20x8.5 +32 F, 20x10 +43 R would look nicer ? I want it to line up nicely with the fender but at the same time does not want it to rub on the Eibach 1" drop on turns or over bumbs.

Last edited by tytgs300; 07-03-04 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-03-04, 11:47 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by tytgs300
I aggreed with johnee78. Also after reading the wheel fitment thread by rominl, it looks like this setup 20x8.5 +38 F, 20x9.5 +38 R is best w/o modification. I donno about 20x8.5 +32 F, 20x10 + 43 R . I have Eibach on right now and dont want to spend anymore $$ on suspension as I need wheels new rollers for now. I was wondering if 20x8.5 +32 F, 20x10 +43 R would look nicer ? I want it to line up nicely with the fender but at the same time does not want it to rub on the Eibach 1" drop on turns or over bumbs.
This set-up would be more aggresive but you will need to do some fender modifications in the front to avoid rubbing..To play it safe I would run the +38...
Old 07-03-04, 12:32 PM
blueGS400
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 20" wheels

what kind of rims are u interested in first of all, not all rims are able to be ordered in custom offsets.... u may need to see the offset they are already made in and if it is able to be custom ordered for you... next why 20 x 8.5 and 20 x 9..... thats not gonna appear staggered if thats what you are trying to do.... if going for custom look u need to at least have a 1 inch difference in front and rear rim.... my offset on my 20x9 front is 37, my offset on my 20x10 rear is 44... worked perfect , no scrubbing/rubbing.....vehicle does have a kit and is stock height though....im about to buy hks hipermax adjustable,,,,will let u know if it scrubs when lowered if u still need to know......if u want some good looking wheels call me..... i can hook u up.......3 piece wheels with different widths can get pretty pricey..... i do know some that are available in different widths but are single piece at half the price of multipiece wheels.... let me know, i can hook u up

Quick Reply: 245 for 9" , 275 for 10" too Narrow????