Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Tire dressing

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-04, 08:27 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tire dressing

Is there a product that is best for tire dressing? I'm currently using a product called Premium Clear which I get from an auto paint shop, made of silicon which is not supposed to dry out the tires like Armor All. Or are all tire dressings bad for tires and dry them out?
Old 06-21-04, 08:36 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I heard Black Magic is the best out there. Most of the tire dressers out there work great like they're supposed to (such as Armor All, Turtle Wax, Meguiar's, etc). They're all priced pretty much the same, so not a difficult product to shop around
Old 06-21-04, 09:25 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks!

Do tire dressings shorten tire duration life (sidewalls)?

Previous cars of mine & others I've taken care of have developed small, very fine hairline cracks between the sidewall & tread pattern. Not sure if it's cause of the dressing or just age (35-40K miles).
Old 06-21-04, 11:20 PM
LexFather

Default Re: Tire dressing

Originally posted by msilverIS
Is there a product that is best for tire dressing? I'm currently using a product called Premium Clear which I get from an auto paint shop, made of silicon which is not supposed to dry out the tires like Armor All. Or are all tire dressings bad for tires and dry them out?
After 6 years of tire dressing/wiping sraying on different tires brands, sizes and wheel finishes, here is my method.
1. When u wash the car, wipe the tire with a "tire towel" (the same towel u use on the tires). You want to get the grime off but not all the tire shine.
2. Wipe excess water off (water and tire shine does not mix).
3. First I spray the tires with either Black Majic, Eagle one or Meguiars.
4. Make sure you spray closely and don't over do it.
5. With a tire shine brush (you can get them in the store, they are shaped like the sidewall), you Meguiars Tire shine. It comes with the brush actually. This is a thick gel that lasts a long time. Wipe the entire tire.
6. If you show your car, make sure you wipe the ENTIRE tire.
7. Use some plastic gloves and that grime gets in your nails easily.

Whatever the dealer uses is good stuff too. But you CANNOT just spray on and drive crazy. The tire shine will then go ALL OVER the side of your car. If you don't wipe right off the lower Lexus plastic panels, it will be a BIATCH to clean off later. It can possibly stain.

I stay away from that foam tire spray, it's for truly lazy people and does a 1/2 **** job.
Old 06-21-04, 11:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i have been using maguiers and i love it
Old 06-22-04, 07:34 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also use meguiars, its good stuff. One thing I do that seems to work is apply the dressing at night or when you arent going to drive the car for 8hrs or so. I do mine usually sunday nt and then 11 hrs later when I leave there is no spin off. Also the tire shine lasts the whole week until I wash the car again.
Old 06-22-04, 08:10 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by GS300Rich
I also use meguiars, its good stuff. One thing I do that seems to work is apply the dressing at night or when you arent going to drive the car for 8hrs or so. I do mine usually sunday nt and then 11 hrs later when I leave there is no spin off. Also the tire shine lasts the whole week until I wash the car again.
I do exactly the same thing too I dress up the tires after a lazy Sunday wash, usually in the late afternoon before I turn in for the day. The tires shine out the greatest the next morning, and after a few days to a week, the tires still look solid black
Old 06-22-04, 09:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by GS300Rich
oh yeah, definitely let the dressing dry, otherwise good luck cleaning up your car the week after
Old 06-22-04, 07:32 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: Tire dressing

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
After 6 years of tire dressing/wiping sraying on different tires brands, sizes and wheel finishes, here is my method.
Thanks!
Old 08-29-04, 04:32 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the best tire dressing out there bar none is more shine less time by stoner. you spray it on for a black look and once youve gone around your car do it one more time for a glossy coat. a third time which is not necessary at all but if done gives a very glossy almost fake looking shine. and it doesnt run and it wont spin off if you let it sit for 5 minutes or so. and if you dont run thru puddles it will last at least a week with just one coat. I have used this on my ml 320. my 04 acura tl and my current vehicle my 01 ls 430. theres no comparison. when I took my car home from the dealer the crap they used which looked really good ended up all over the lower rear of my car. yeah I am sure you can relate. its ****. but more shine is killer. if you buy it and use it correctly and dont like it I will be shocked. I am so confident of it I have given cans to friends to prove what I say. you can get it from stoner online at moreshinelesstime.com . I buy it by the case from them for 35 bucks. free shipping. I love it.
Old 08-29-04, 06:26 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Meguiers is the worse IMO. I'm trying to use it up and try something new!
Old 08-29-04, 06:56 PM
The_Hitman
Lexus Champion

I dont like Black Magic at all... Well it looks good, but I dont like the foam action it has. I bought it on accident, meant to get Meguirs, so I'm trying to use it up.. The Meguirs I used to have just sprayed on and no foam.
Old 08-30-04, 12:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by The_Hitman
I dont like Black Magic at all... Well it looks good, but I dont like the foam action it has. I bought it on accident, meant to get Meguirs, so I'm trying to use it up.. The Meguirs I used to have just sprayed on and no foam.
well you bought the foam type that's why. i have the black magic gel type, it's ok. i like my mcguirs more though
Old 08-30-04, 12:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by LexAristo
Meguiers is the worse IMO. I'm trying to use it up and try something new!
hahah what's wrong with it?
Old 08-30-04, 12:34 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its not as good as more shine less time.

Quick Reply: Tire dressing