Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

will a 45 offset look right on an SC?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-04, 02:02 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default will a 45 offset look right on an SC?

Ok, here's the situation: I have a chance to get a set of wheels, 19X8 with a 45 offset for a really good price. The thing is they're coming off a 1st gen GS where spacers were used (5mm up front and 15mm in the back). My question is will these wheels work for me? I want the wheels to meet the fenders flush and NOT be tucked inside unless it's extremely minimal. I know the rims being only 8" wide is a little skinny, I'm okay with that. What I need to know is how will the rims look in terms of the offset, will I too need to use spacers? will the spacers cause stress on my axle? Let me know what you have to say. Rmember, the wheels came off a 1st gen GS and are going on a 92 SC3. Thanks guys/gals.
Old 06-10-04, 04:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

it will be pretty inset unfortunately
Old 06-15-04, 09:45 PM
drnkcarlos
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well one question you need to ask is what size tire will you use? Before I was running 9J+24 10J +28 (+ 5 mm spacer) 18's. But I had to use 225/40-18's for the front and 235/40-18's for the rear to get the wheels to fit without rubbing. Plus in order to flush it out you will most likely need to roll your fenders a little. The front isn't flush, could use about 10mm of space to make it look better, The rear wasn't flush either but it was closer than the fronts, but now I am using a 25mm spacer in the rear and had to pound out the fender a bit but it sits flush with the fender now. I have always believed in making the car fit the wheels... Its hard to find a set of wheels to fit your car that look the way that you would like them to look. Thats why I make the car fit the wheels, whether it be a smaller tire or adjustment to the body... it ends up looking the way I like it to look. Anyways thats me... but heres what my rear looks like... Its still a work in progress not ready for paint yet but it will give you an idea. Its a 10J +28off 18in. with a 235/40-18 with a 25mm spacer.
Attached Thumbnails will a 45 offset look right on an SC?-p1000081.jpg  
Old 06-16-04, 11:24 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

I'm using 245/35/19's...and I won't "make the car fit the wheels" unfortunately, that's not even a possibility. I don't like wheels enough to go bending my fenders to make them work. It's just not my stlye is all. Share more of your thoughts though, I welcome them. What I did find out is that I will most likely need 10mm spacers all around, but H&R only makes 5mm and 15mm so I may have to go with 5mm up front and 15mm in the rear. I'll know more when I test fit the wheels tonite...hopefully.
Old 06-16-04, 05:33 PM
drnkcarlos
Driver

I know what you mean about "making the car fit the wheels..." Its kinda permanent but once you've done what needs to be done, your done... My cars getting repainted soon so figure best time to flare the fenders out you know. Yeah the 5mm spacer is a slip on type, right? You could also order longer lugstuds(10mm longer do they sell these in the US?) and place 2-5mm spacers (or if you have access to a single 10mm spacer as well), thus giving you your 10mm for the front and the 15mm (are the 15mm spacers bolt on?) for the rear should be good. if you have access to 15mm I'd try to use 15mm in both front and rear... I think you'll be happy with that. Hope you like the wheels... I love putting new wheels on my car Good luck anxious to hear how it works out.

Last edited by drnkcarlos; 06-16-04 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-16-04, 05:51 PM
drnkcarlos
Driver

I know what you mean about "making the car fit the wheels..." Its kinda permanent but once you've done what need your done... My cars getting repainted soon so figure best time to flare the fenders out you know. Yeah the 5mm spacer is a slip on type, right? you could order longer lugstuds(10mm longer do they sell these in the US?) and place 2-5mm spacers(or if you have access to a single 10mm spacer as well), thus giving you your 10mm for the front and the 15mm for the rear should be good. if you have access to 15mm I'd try to use 15mm in both front and rear... I think you'll be happy with that. Hope you like the wheels... I love putting new wheels on my car Good luck anxious to hear how it works out.
Old 06-17-04, 12:27 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by drnkcarlos
I know what you mean about "making the car fit the wheels..." Its kinda permanent but once you've done what need your done... My cars getting repainted soon so figure best time to flare the fenders out you know. Yeah the 5mm spacer is a slip on type, right? you could order longer lugstuds(10mm longer do they sell these in the US?) and place 2-5mm spacers(or if you have access to a single 10mm spacer as well), thus giving you your 10mm for the front and the 15mm for the rear should be good. if you have access to 15mm I'd try to use 15mm in both front and rear... I think you'll be happy with that. Hope you like the wheels... I love putting new wheels on my car Good luck anxious to hear how it works out.
Carlos, I like your rims a lot, I'd just hate to have to modify my fenders to accommodate them. I believe the 5mm spacer I'm interested in is a bolt on type, made by H&R. I want to get something I'll have faith in, not just a cheapie metal disk...from what I understand those things (cheapie spacers) cause massive vibrations because they're not hubcentric. Yes they sell longer studs here in the US, lol. Why do you say to try to use both 15mm in front and back? I'm just curious. I like my wheels so far, even though I have absolutely no concept of what they'll look like on my car, lol. I know that sounds ridiculous but I want to suprise myself. They're just some silver 5 spoke wheels, nothing majorly fancy. I like my car and I like the wheels so all should work out fine if fittament is good. My first thought was I didn't want them to look too small, like 18's sometimes do. But I had to tell myself, "that's why you bought 19's..with no lip...they'll look plenty big enough without being obnoxious, don't worry"...ha ha ha, I know...I'm crazy...but it's the little pleasures that make life worth living right? I want to do everything within a week once I gather all my parts. I still need springs and spacers then I'll be set.
Old 06-18-04, 01:57 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

issue resolved, I test fit the wheels last night and I don't need spacers at all!! My rims meet both front and rear fenders flush, so all is well!! ha ha!