Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

20" rims ,What i need 2 know? Need HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-04, 07:48 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 20" rims ,What i need 2 know? Need HELP!!

Hi,

i have a 98 GS300 and i want to put 20" wheels/tires on my car....

Now do i have to get different sizes on my front and back, (i think its called diameter or Wheel offset) can i get the same size in my fron and rear?

and what will i need to know as far as lowering..is it needed??

Thanks for any help.
This is the only thing holding me back from getting my rims so Quick help is great!!
Old 06-05-04, 08:04 PM
lightwave76
Lexus Test Driver

rominl wrote up a nice fitment guide. here is the link https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=115165

This should help with what you need.

Chris
Old 06-05-04, 09:24 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks!!!

ok i read the post but i still dont under understand it!!
i got this out of it

20x8.5 +38 20x9.5 +38 conservative
20x8.5 +38 20x10 +44 conservative

but what difference will this make on the rims??? (dont understand) Can someone just tell me a size that will work..this is too hard

Thanks
Old 06-05-04, 09:34 PM
minnyminh
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 20 inch rims

you can get the same size all around. its all up to your preference. if you want a small lip in front and big lip in the rears then that would really look good. but if you get the same size it will still look good!!! good luck
Old 06-05-04, 09:51 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

ok

that is a little better

but what is the "lip" ??

also when i purchase the rims i usually only see the size lik 19",20" where would i select the offsets ect... or do they know when i tell them the car, or do i just tell them?

So what would be a good size for 20" rims... to give you a idea of "me" so i can get better help,

i am a Young woman, I AM NOT INTO the "performance" look (ex. Kits ,racing parts,lights ect..)
i just added 20% tint to my car today, i will get a new system and change the bumper side markers, along with RIMS....Thats it!!

i KNOW i want 20" rims probably with spinners, but i want to know the best dimensions for the rims!!

I hope this helps u guys to HELP ME!!!

Thanks Again~
Old 06-05-04, 10:09 PM
R.U. IN AW?
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: 20" rims ,What i need 2 know? Need HELP!!

Originally posted by Alexus-Kia
Hi,

i have a 98 GS300 and i want to put 20" wheels/tires on my car....

Now do i have to get different sizes on my front and back, (i think its called diameter or Wheel offset) can i get the same size in my fron and rear?

and what will i need to know as far as lowering..is it needed??

Thanks for any help.
This is the only thing holding me back from getting my rims so Quick help is great!!

Kia,

Hopefully I can help you out. First, welcome to the club.....20's will look really good on the car, that's a good start, beside tinting which you already done. The "offset" will determine if you can put a "Big Brake" system in the front, and it also determines if the rear wheel will rub against the fender well. An offset of +37 will clear a big brake kit, but seeing your other post you are not interested in doing that! Yes, you can get the same size wheels all around, i.e. 20x8.5, 20x9 etc....however the biggest I would do for the front is 20x9, the rear you can go as high as 20x10, and some have had 20x11, but with some modification to the rear wheel well. As far as lowering, you can lower the car to about 1.5" and maybe 2" depending on the width of the wheel and the offset(there's that word again), it is not needed, however inorder to get rid of the left over gap, lowering would take care of that. But then you get into worrying about alignment issues, and tread wear....which is another can of worms! A "LIP" is the term used for the outer portion of the wheel that extends past from the inner wheel....I hope I didn't confuse you? To make it clearer, look at your wheel and from where the wheel extends out to the inside of the wheel base is your lip. So, I hope I was able to clear things up for you, PM me if you should have any further questions.....

-R-

Last edited by R.U. IN AW?; 06-05-04 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-05-04, 10:11 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alexus-Kia: Welcome to Club Lexus... I'm going to move your question to the wheels and tires section so you can get as much info as you can. We have several members there who have tons of info to help you out.

Good luck with your wheel purchase....
Old 06-05-04, 10:12 PM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

hey alot of people dont like spinners on CL .
BUT i use to run a set of GEN-x matrix wheels (20x8.5) all the way around my 2000 gs3.. it has a 38 offset.. with 245-35-20 tires on them.. i had a spinner on it as well and i liked it.. the LIP is the dish of the rim.. ill show you a pic of a LIP then ill show you my old gs with the spinners. in the pic of my car i didnt have a drop or any suspension work so you can see if y ou like it.... here are they pics HOPE they help.

the lip is the width from the face of the wheel to the end of the wheel (ie.. the thickness of the dollar bill)

ok ill show you 2 pics.. one of the wheels on the car before spinners and one after spinners.. (no suspension work at all )
HERE IS A NICE ON OF THE LIP AS WELL AS THE WHOLE CAR

SPINNERS

well there you go.. im not a wheel expert BUT they spinners were no good .. if you are going to buy some spinners DONT buy the add-ons... buy some DAVINs or DUB spinners... those are a few good ones.. aslo FOOSE makes a couple nice built in spinners as well... dont waste your money on the addons...
Old 06-05-04, 10:13 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Alexus-Kia

i KNOW i want 20" rims probably with spinners, but i want to know the best dimensions for the rims!!

as the saying goes, to each his own, but you will prob. get chewed out for spinners here on CL... the lip you ask about is the thickness/length of the "deep-dish" look on rims (idk if that helps)... as for offset, i have NO CLUE, and you will DEFINITELY have to drop your car if you get 20's... your car will look like an SUV. also, dropping the car will help you car drive better... to get a general idea on dropping the car, got to the Suspension forum within the GS forum for ALL the info you will need. the search tool is your friend, so use it!!! and WELCOME to CL
Old 06-05-04, 10:24 PM
4double0
Driver

Alexus-Kia,

In my opinion, I would go with a staggered setup(f 20x9/38mm offset, r 20x10/42mm offset) keep in mind that this will be considered an aggressive look, and as rominl stated; might require your fenders having to be rolled or modified a bit. The only down side to going with a staggered setup is that you won't be able to rotate your tires. But I consider this a minor trade off compared to how great it will make your car look.
Old 06-05-04, 10:31 PM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by 4double0
Alexus-Kia,

In my opinion, I would go with a staggered setup(f 20x9/38mm offset, r 20x10/42mm offset) keep in mind that this will be considered an aggressive look, and as rominl stated; might require your fenders having to be rolled or modified a bit. The only down side to going with a staggered setup is that you won't be able to rotate your tires. But I consider this a minor trade off compared to how great it will make your car look.
agreed i am gettin 20x8.5 in the front and 20x10 in the rear on my new GS
Old 06-05-04, 10:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

welcome to the forum. seems like other guys are helping you, if you got more questions i will try to help you more
Old 06-06-04, 06:11 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Oh my....did she say spinners?
Old 06-06-04, 06:32 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Spinners???? :
Old 06-06-04, 07:00 AM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

ya... she said spinners... i guess its a good thing i dont got spinners anymore.. they looked out of place on my gs ... my new gs is gonna be a little different

Quick Reply: 20" rims ,What i need 2 know? Need HELP!!