Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

michelin mxv4+ vs. toyo proxes tpt

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-04, 02:45 PM
Lexus97ES
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default michelin mxv4+ vs. toyo proxes tpt

I am in need of a new set of tires to replace my original mxv4+. I did a thorough search of this forum and what I found is a lot of good comments on the toyo tpt tires. And now I'm really torn between michelin and toyo. What's high on my list of criteria is comfort and road noise. Handling only comes third. So considerating all these three criteria what tire you do think is better? By the way, I live in the area where driving conditions are pretty much everything - dry, snow, rain, etc. I know the mxv4+ tires are overpriced, but I don' mind to pay the difference (about $100 more for michelin in my calculation) if that's what I need to do to get the best. I hope your comments would help me make a better decision. Thank you.
Old 06-05-04, 04:07 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I'm very michelin biased so my vote will obviously go to the Michelin MXV4's. They may be over priced but you do get what you pay for...especially great treadwear.
Old 06-05-04, 05:17 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had the original mxv4's replaced with xgth4's. not much difference except it has a lower speed rating (130mph) and a lower price tag about $100 a tire at sears. they bite in the snow which i find most important.
Old 06-06-04, 10:29 AM
Lexus97ES
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for replying, guys. Flip, what are xgth4's?

Hope someone would share your experience between toyo and michelin.

Toyo offers 45 day trial. Maybe I'll try that. Does it cost me anything besides my time?

Thank you.
Old 06-06-04, 10:41 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

both lexusk8 and Lexusfreak have the TPTs on their ES's and they rave about them.

you could PM either to get specific answers. The 45 day trial is cool, if you don't like them, have them mount the michies.

steviej
Old 06-06-04, 10:51 AM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Lexus97ES
Thanks for replying, guys. Flip, what are xgth4's?

Hope someone would share your experience between toyo and michelin.

Toyo offers 45 day trial. Maybe I'll try that. Does it cost me anything besides my time?

Thank you.
all season tires made by michelin.
Old 06-06-04, 05:31 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

As steviej mentioned, I'm riding on Toyo Proxes TPT V-rated in my '01 ES, and they're one of the smoothest and most comfortable all-season performance I've ridden. I've put in over 25K miles on them everyday, and there is plenty of treadlife on all of the tires, more than 50% left (website says they should last at least 65,000 miles). Tread pattern looks aggressive enough to not look too aggressive , and the tires run excellent in all rainy and snowy conditions (I have never needed to change to snow tires). Hope this info helps out in your tire decision
Old 06-07-04, 11:19 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

Haven't tried the Toyo TPTs, but I can try to answer your questions about the Michelins:

Michelin MXV4 Energy Plus

Probably one of the better ones out there for a comfort, tourign performance tire. I've had them on a couple of vehicles, and I can't complain about their overall performance. They held up real well with usage--no balance issues, flatspots, etc. (for me, at the rate they were wearing, they were going to last about 54K miles). In addition to a GS400, my sister has an Acura TL and it has put on 57K on the original Michelin MXV4s (she's had the car since it was new)--the tires are due for replacement now, though.

Michelin XGT4

When I had a Nissan Maxima, I needed some replacements for the stock Toyo AO4 tires (I think), and I initially tried these XGT4s (they were $87 vs. the $124 for the MXV4 for a Nissan Maxima; from Costco) for 2 weeks. I returned them to Costco and had the MXV4's put on instead (no extra charge under their 30 day satisfaction guarantee--I just paid the difference in price of the tires). Why? While they were pretty good with handling, I felt that the XGT4 tires were constructed a bit stiffer (better handling yes, but at the slight cost of comfort). They weren't really noisy, but felt long-term they might be.

MY TAKE

I have no complaints with the MXV4 tire, except for the price--but then again, if the tires are goign to last you 4 years, what's an extra $25 more per year ($100 total)? To me, spending a bit extra knowing I got something that has worked really well in past makes for ease of mind in makign the tire choice (sort of why I spent $205/tire for my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on my GS4--could of saved some money on other tires, but didn't really want to risk it (there are probably other good tires out there for cheaper, but I didn't know their long-term durability, noise issues, flatspotting, etc.)).

Good luck on your purchase--and it looks like you're getting good info here from others who have owned the Toyo you're interested in.
Old 06-07-04, 01:40 PM
SC4Hundred
Lead Lap

MXV4 in ES300 is best in terms of comfort and performance ...
Bridgestone Potenza SO3 better in terms of performance, comfort and price for SC400
Good Luck on your selection.
Old 06-07-04, 02:41 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: michelin mxv4+ vs. toyo proxes tpt

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lexus97ES
I am in need of a new set of tires to replace my original mxv4+. I did a thorough search of this forum and what I found is a lot of good comments on the toyo tpt tires. And now I'm really torn between michelin and toyo. What's high on my list of criteria is comfort and road noise. Handling only comes third. So considerating all these three criteria what tire you do think is better? By the way, I live in the area where driving conditions are pretty much everything - dry, snow, rain, etc. I know the mxv4+ tires are overpriced, but I don' mind to pay the difference (about $100 more for michelin in my calculation) if that's what I need to do to get the best. I hope your comments would help me make a better decision. Thank you. [/QUOTE

When I ordered my new ES330 in March I had a choice of tire between a half dozen models. I asked my son-in-law who owns a tire business which was best tire to get. He said the "MXV4's, but like someone
else said, he thought they were overpriced.

Carl
Old 06-07-04, 07:53 PM
Lexus97ES
Driver School Candidate

You guys are great. THANKS A LOT for your comments. I can't list all names but you know who you are.

For the last two days now I've been driving often with no music (which is killing me :-)) just to try to remember how the Michelin sounds so I can compare with the toyo I plan to put on for trial :-). But now it seems that I might go with Michelin (BTW, Costco currently has a promotion going on on tires). You all can probably tell by now that I'm a picky guy. What I'm worried is that the road noise of TPT's is worse than MXV4+. Other than that, I read that TPT's are pretty comparable to MXV4+, or better in some areas - such as cornering.

lexusk8. I totally agree with you. Tread pattern on TPT's is nice, agressive but not too much. I'd surely choose it over MXV4+ pattern. Did you ever have MXV4+ tires to compare with TPT's? b/c I'd love to hear what you'd say about that.

From personal experience, I think the MXV4+ has good tread life.

Again, thank you all

Last edited by Lexus97ES; 06-07-04 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-07-04, 08:25 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by Lexus97ES
lexusk8. I totally agree with you. Tread pattern on TPT's is nice, agressive but not too much. I'd surely choose it over MXV4+ pattern. Did you ever have MXV4+ tires to compare with TPT's? b/c I'd love to hear what you'd say about that.
No personal experience with Michelin tires, although I have heard from many others that the MXV4 is a great choice for comfort and ride but a bit on the pricey side. TPTs can be had for less than $100 per tire. I got mine at a local tire shop for my old and current ES.

Go with your instinct and choose a tire from your heart. You really can't go wrong with either the MXV4 or the Proxes TPT
Old 06-07-04, 10:46 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Exclamation

Gents,

I have driven on BOTH the Michelin & Toyo Proxes TPT's. The michelin is no where near the grip in wet & rainy weather as the Toyo's! Snow traction is more aggressive as well not to mention they are cheaper! What do you have to lose? I just came back from my honeymoon, drove from Toronto all the way to Key West Florida in my 01 ES and no tire noise, no loss of air pressure, handling & grip were awesome! Just did a rotation and if you read the forums here & in the ES threads......I have been praising the Toyo's up & down......I still am! My family runs on Toyo's & I will be putting a set of TPT's on my wife's 2003 Ford Focus ZX5 as well! Michelin is a fantastic tire no dought......but it depends on the model one get's! The Michelin comes a distant 3rd or 4th place behind the Toyo's & I'd purchase another set when these wear out, but probobly not for another 60,000 miles with proper maintenance Go with the Toyo's & take the 30 day trial........you won't want to take them back afterwards. Good Luck! Any more questions you might have, feel free to PM me.

Last edited by Lexusfreak; 06-07-04 at 10:47 PM.