Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Fix-a-flat

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-04, 01:55 PM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fix-a-flat

Is Fix-A-Flat safe on our high performance aftermarket tires? The 19 and 20" variety.

If you have a flat ro a slow leak in a tire, is it OK to use this stuff or does it kill the tire somehow?

Thanks,

Ted
Old 06-01-04, 05:23 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fix-a-flat

Originally posted by ted920
Is Fix-A-Flat safe on our high performance aftermarket tires? The 19 and 20" variety.

If you have a flat ro a slow leak in a tire, is it OK to use this stuff or does it kill the tire somehow?

Thanks,

Ted
Hey Ted,

I was told by my Tire guy to NEVER use fix a flat on any tires performance or not.

It may work for a small period of time but it is better to take it to a shop and have them use their special stuff, (I forget the proper name), to plug the tire of fix the area that is malfunctioning for it to last longer.

-Anthony
Old 06-02-04, 02:28 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

It also makes quite a mess whenever you remove the tire. And think about all that extra rotating weight.
Old 06-03-04, 06:13 AM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Here's the situation:

I just got new 20s (tires and wheels) and noticed that my left rear tire was flat in my garage several days after returning from a show.

I repumped it with air ( I have a compressor @ home) and it seems to be staying (visual). Its been 3 days. I will check the pressure with a gauge later tonight. However, logic would indicate theat there is a hole / leak somewhere and its a real BIOTCH to get these wheels off and tire fixed and remounted and balanced. These wheels are expensive and I don;t want some cat to **** them up.

Thought Fix-A-Flat would seal the leak pretty easily without requiring the tire to come off etc.

Is it dangerous to use this stuff then drive the car regular for thousands of miles thereafter?

Ted
Old 06-03-04, 07:42 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

Originally posted by ted920
Here's the situation:

I just got new 20s (tires and wheels) and noticed that my left rear tire was flat in my garage several days after returning from a show.

I repumped it with air ( I have a compressor @ home) and it seems to be staying (visual). Its been 3 days. I will check the pressure with a gauge later tonight. However, logic would indicate theat there is a hole / leak somewhere and its a real BIOTCH to get these wheels off and tire fixed and remounted and balanced. These wheels are expensive and I don;t want some cat to **** them up.

Thought Fix-A-Flat would seal the leak pretty easily without requiring the tire to come off etc.

Is it dangerous to use this stuff then drive the car regular for thousands of miles thereafter?

Ted
Bite the bullet and have your wheel checked properly..If it needs to be plugged, patched, whatever, then it's better than filling your tire up with that stuff..I also makes a big mess on the on the rim when the tire is removed..Your rims are expensive so go to a good shop and have them check it out and have it repaired correctly....
Old 06-03-04, 08:46 AM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I wouldnt use it either. U will never balence the rim with that stuff inside the tire. Have someone check it out. Are the rims 3 piece? I had my wheel shop break the seal on the inside of the rim where the outer lip and inner lip meet. I had a slow leak too. It would go flat in about a week and a half. I took it back to the shop and they said they cant find the leak since it was on the inside of the rim and very slow. I sent the wheel back to IForged and they said the inner seal was broke. I was lucky that they fixed it for free. The took the rim apaort put it back together and repolished it. The best part is they did it for free. I hope u get lucky and dont have to wait long for the rim. Maybe its the tire.

Last edited by GammaLex; 06-03-04 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-03-04, 09:17 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you seen the inside well after what a fix-a-flat can does to your tires and rims? it makes this really sticky puddy type stuff on ur rim and ur tire but eventually drys. well per replies to it coming unbalanced once u use a fix-a-flat go cruising around for a while so the compound evenly spreads around. i saw this dude at a local rim shop scrapping white cauk stuff off the rim and i asked him what it was, he told me its those fix-a-flat cans. i personally have a fix-a-flat can in my car just in case im stranded on the side of the road but other than that i would probally goto discount tire and watch them unmount the tire... raise hell if they scratch your sh it. they have rubber inserts that they put on the machine that unmounts/mounts ur tire so just watch them very closely.

Last edited by joshoowa; 06-03-04 at 09:19 AM.