Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

20inch wheel choices for 2nd gen GS

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-04, 09:05 AM
maxi-milli
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20inch choice

I am thinking about buying some shoes. I am caught between the D' vinci Blade, Decorsa Polaris 5, or the HP onyx ( the last two are sold on wheelmax). Anyone have these wheels or know of these brand if they are repitable or not. I am leaning towards the Decorsa Polaris 5, but i think the D' vinci may look hot on the lex. Which one would really fit the shape of our car nice. By the way I have an alpine silver GS. Also espelir springs and ltuner struts on the way.
Sorry I don't know how to make links or I would have. If some one can post the three links or have pic with these wheels on their car Holla Back. Thanks
Old 05-10-04, 09:43 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

hate to rain on your parade, my friend, but I haven't seen anything on wheelmax that most people would consider "quality" in a long, long time. Spare yourself the headache and hassle of buying cheap quality wheels and go with something more reputable such as Rays/Volk, Weds, Work, Racing Hart, SSR, etc. Just my .02. Hope this helps.
Old 05-10-04, 10:06 AM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: 20inch choice

Originally posted by maxi-milli
I am thinking about buying some shoes. I am caught between the D' vinci Blade, Decorsa Polaris 5, or the HP onyx ( the last two are sold on wheelmax). Anyone have these wheels or know of these brand if they are repitable or not. I am leaning towards the Decorsa Polaris 5, but i think the D' vinci may look hot on the lex. Which one would really fit the shape of our car nice. By the way I have an alpine silver GS.

Also espelir springs and ltuner struts on the way.

Sorry I don't know how to make links or I would have. If some one can post the three links or have pic with these wheels on their car Holla Back. Thanks
Hehe, Teins are getting put on today my friend, the springs/shocks will be shipped tomorrow

Here are the dvinci Blades

Here are the Polaris

And here are the Onyx's

None of the wheels are really my style, but it's your car. I would suggest as ebruce said to look into those wheel manufacturers, or if you have the money, look at some HRE's

Last edited by Blue98Gs3; 05-10-04 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-10-04, 10:28 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally posted by ebruce2
hate to rain on your parade, my friend, but I haven't seen anything on wheelmax that most people would consider "quality" in a long, long time. Spare yourself the headache and hassle of buying cheap quality wheels and go with something more reputable such as Rays/Volk, Weds, Work, Racing Hart, SSR, etc. Just my .02. Hope this helps.

well said , i agree tenfold with that statement... if you are in the ny area and plan to do 20's and drive faster then 20mph , make a wise investment and get something forged for better strength , although i am not proclaiming that forged will totally avoid it from happening but will dramactically reduce the chances of that happening...
Old 05-10-04, 10:46 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NO NO NO!!!!!!

Get the lightest 20s possible and while you are it, try to find the strongest ones too. God knows you will need them!
Old 05-10-04, 10:55 AM
beauphus
Pole Position

if u cant afford to do it right the first time i would wait and save...youll be MUCH happier in the end especially with such a crucial mod as rims...i agree with the others...spend the extra $$ for piece of mind
Old 05-10-04, 11:50 AM
maxi-milli
Rookie

Default Re

I here what yall are sayin, but I don't know if I agree. I had a 97 max with 20inch vault esp. and hit pothole
and bent non. From cheaper wheel to a more evpensive wheel the right pot hole and the rim is a rap. You guys would consider the vault brand as cheap brand, but I had good experiences with them via strength. If high end rims are your thing, do you, but the right pot hole will rap them too. More money doesn't mean stronger. I was just asking which rim would go well with the lines of the car. Thanks Blue for postng the pics. Blue I can't wait until the springs get here.
ebruce no rain I got my umbrella. I have been reading here at the club about rims pealiing. If this is the case than that is a major factor to me. Whats a good weight for 20in chrome? I would believe forged would weight a lot more, or even cast iron instead of aluminum. What is a reasonable price chrome forge wheel. I need a list of 20 in chrome that are light but stronge, but I don't have to stand on the strip and pitch
them things until I get lock up and have to spend my rim money on a lawyer. ( Joke)

Volk, Work, etc have some hot rims, but they are rapein Kobe style, price wise. I can't see my self spending that much for wheel on a car, but truck rim prices. My man has 20 in Giovan. barabus on his GS and bent two of them, and this is and middle end wheel. Anyway thanks for the hollas. Really appreciate it.
Old 05-10-04, 11:59 AM
Milla...

Is it even worth it to buy fancy wheels in NY I hear so many bad stories about thieves there and how good they are. If they wont get cha it sounds like the pot holes sure will.

Last edited by Milla...; 05-10-04 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-10-04, 12:52 PM
maxi-milli
Rookie

Default re

If they want it there going to get it. The best alarm you can get for your car is full coverage, a garage, and a gun. I got my old car stollen with a viper alarm, cut of switch, air horns and fuel pump line cut off switch. They disengaged the siren, and had that sucker flatbed. Its just a wast, just hid the car. Out of sight out of mind.
Old 05-10-04, 12:56 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re

I here what yall are sayin, but I don't know if I agree. I had a 97 max with 20inch vault esp. and hit pothole
and bent non. From cheaper wheel to a more evpensive wheel the right pot hole and the rim is a rap. You guys would consider the vault brand as cheap brand, but I had good experiences with them via strength. If high end rims are your thing, do you, but the right pot hole will rap them too. More money doesn't mean stronger. I was just asking which rim would go well with the lines of the car. Thanks Blue for postng the pics. Blue I can't wait until the springs get here.
ebruce no rain I got my umbrella. I have been reading here at the club about rims pealiing. If this is the case than that is a major factor to me. Whats a good weight for 20in chrome? I would believe forged would weight a lot more, or even cast iron instead of aluminum. What is a reasonable price chrome forge wheel. I need a list of 20 in chrome that are light but stronge, but I don't have to stand on the strip and pitch
them things until I get lock up and have to spend my rim money on a lawyer. ( Joke)

Volk, Work, etc have some hot rims, but they are rapein Kobe style, price wise. I can't see my self spending that much for wheel on a car, but truck rim prices. My man has 20 in Giovan. barabus on his GS and bent two of them, and this is and middle end wheel. Anyway thanks for the hollas. Really appreciate it.
hope you don't feel like I was comin' at ya the wrong way.....just tryin to help out. I have heard one horror story after another concerning buying lower-priced wheels. Like you mentioned your boy's Gios bending, chrome flaking off....all that and more. Another part of laying out more $$$ on wheels is that the manufacturers are also more reputable (usually) and stand behind their products if anything bad happens in most cases. Alot of companies put a wheel line out and when customers have problems, they turn a blind eye instead of making things right. Don't look at it as just buying wheels, you're also buying a certain level of insurance or peace of mind.

That being said, check some sites like superbuytires and you will find forged 20's in chrome for around $700-800 each. Keep your eyes open and good luck.
Old 05-10-04, 02:17 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

uhhh maxi , you info is alittle off , firstly , forging uses less metal to construct a stronger wheel and weighs less then casting which is nothing but a mold of poured alloy ... regarding cast iron wheels , man i could just imagine what that would drive like or even balance like.. higher end wheels cost more because of forging process and build quality..

advice given is for imformative purposes only , its your money do what looks good to you and your wallet bro

happy motoring
Old 05-10-04, 03:07 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Max-milli, if you are in BK and are willing to accept a "less-reputable" brand like Vault, Polo, Katana, etc, I can send you to a guy on Broadway that will give you a pretty cheap price.

I will be very honest, I put my ghetto dubs through alot, and never bent one. I drove in Bk all the time with my dropped GS and my wheels held up. I also drove them in the snow/salt and the finish held up ok (just alittle pitting between the spokes). I dont know if that means anything since I only had the rims for about 10months. The worst thing about my old wheels were the weight (probably 38-40sumodd lbs each), and the fact that they looked like chrome cheese graters (D can laugh at himself ) LOL.

As far as weight/strength goes, I dont think you can do better than a forged wheel. Because of the way its manufactured, its stronger, and lighter than a cast wheel. My new 20" wheel weighs about 26lbs.

Also dont worry about pricing and what others have, if you choose to spend less, thats fine, if others choose to spend more, thats fine. Do what makes you "comfortable" if you are comfortable driving around on a Vault wheel, enjoy. If you are not, get something better. Either way, do what you want, and stand secure in that decision.
Old 05-10-04, 03:32 PM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I was just asking which rim would go well with the lines of the car.
None of those wheels look good on a Lexus
Old 05-10-04, 04:34 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my honest opinion, those wheels look hideous.....Not clean at all....Sorry....
Old 05-10-04, 08:10 PM
J_RoK
Lexus Test Driver

I used to like the Hp Onyx.. i would like them.. if they had a silver face and a Lip on them.. then it would look nice.. but other than that... i really don't feel the, im not a big fan of chrome

J

Quick Reply: 20inch wheel choices for 2nd gen GS