Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Bent Rim!!! Fixable??! *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-04, 10:33 AM
Michifan12
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent Rim!!! Fixable??! *PICS*

Ok so last night I was crusing down the freeway on my back from the Paul Rodriguez comedy show and BAAAAM I hit this pot hole the size of a crater on the moon. All of a sudden my car starts vibrating like hell and I'm like oh crap so I pull over and realize the lip on my front passenger side rim is bent in. So I put my spare on blah blah blah.....

I wanted to see if its fixable or will I need to buy a whole new rim. There are ripples in the chrome now and the its also chipped so i'm assuming it will have to be redipped.

I am SO pissed at the city of Albuquerque....freakin eh we have the worst roads on this freakin planet I swear......

Thanks guys!

P.S. I searched the wheels and tires forum but found nothing on bent rims so I figured it would be ok to post here since its IS related??

Last edited by Michifan12; 05-02-04 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-02-04, 10:46 AM
James Y
Driver School Candidate

i seen an Ad in a magazine that i have lastnight for a company that specializes in repairing damaged rims, i will try to find it again and give you the web address or the number so that you can get in touch with them. and the pics that you posted wont work, imagestation wont let anyone post links to the pictures on their site for bandwidth reasons

ok its a company called "Tru Wheel". their phone number is (800) FIX-A-RIM or (800)349-2746. web address www.truwheel.com. located in north hollywood, Ca. maybe they can straighten it out for you. good luck!

Last edited by James Y; 05-02-04 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-02-04, 11:10 AM
Michifan12
Pole Position

Originally posted by James Y
i seen an Ad in a magazine that i have lastnight for a company that specializes in repairing damaged rims, i will try to find it again and give you the web address or the number so that you can get in touch with them. and the pics that you posted wont work, imagestation wont let anyone post links to the pictures on their site for bandwidth reasons

ok its a company called "Tru Wheel". their phone number is (800) FIX-A-RIM or (800)349-2746. web address www.truwheel.com. located in north hollywood, Ca. maybe they can straighten it out for you. good luck!
Oops - gotta figure out a way to upload the pics....any ideas how??

Last edited by Michifan12; 05-02-04 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-02-04, 11:40 AM
tsopranoMB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Michifan12
Oops - gotta figure out a way to upload the pics....any ideas how??
https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/index.php

Old 05-02-04, 11:45 AM
SDuquette
Lexus Test Driver

you can use www.photobucket.com size is limited to 250kb per picture though. I think I almost hit that same pot hole on the way back to town, except I was doing about 110mph or so, and was changing lanes. It went right under my car. My wife was all "Oh my God, did you see that pot hole???" It was freakin huge, a couple feet long and wide and quite a few inches deep. Since it was highway, you might give the highway dept. a call and see what they say, maybe they will cover a wheel or repair.
Old 05-02-04, 11:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

if there is no crack i think you have a good chance of fixing it. but you would have to rechrome it for sure. most likely you have to rechrome two (one side) at the same time coz' chroming usually don't have the same result every time
Old 05-02-04, 02:37 PM
Michifan12
Pole Position

Ok finally got the pics uploaded....

You can see where the chrome is chipped and also how its all creased now.....

Man this freakin sux.....
Old 05-02-04, 02:45 PM
Michifan12
Pole Position

Originally posted by SDuquette
you can use www.photobucket.com size is limited to 250kb per picture though. I think I almost hit that same pot hole on the way back to town, except I was doing about 110mph or so, and was changing lanes. It went right under my car. My wife was all "Oh my God, did you see that pot hole???" It was freakin huge, a couple feet long and wide and quite a few inches deep. Since it was highway, you might give the highway dept. a call and see what they say, maybe they will cover a wheel or repair.
Yea I was doing my usual 80mph hahah.....but thats crazy you guys noticed it. I didn't even see it.

Last edited by Michifan12; 05-02-04 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-02-04, 03:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

damn that's VERY big hit on the stock wheels man, tough... but yeah, i say it's fixable, probably need to chrome two wheels to match
Old 05-02-04, 03:36 PM
Michifan12
Pole Position

Originally posted by rominl
damn that's VERY big hit on the stock wheels man, tough... but yeah, i say it's fixable, probably need to chrome two wheels to match
Well I can get a new chrome OEM rim online for $300. I don't really wanna buy two tho. I don't think i'll be able to tell the difference....

I'm gonna get some quotes tomorrow to see how much it'll cost to fix and plus try to hit up the state of NM highway dept. I think insurance might cover this too...I believe I have a $200 deductible......
Old 05-02-04, 05:03 PM
OKCIS
Rookie

your state wont do anything so save yourself a phone call when you tell them what happened they will probably ask why you called them
Old 05-02-04, 06:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Well I can get a new chrome OEM rim online for $300. I don't really wanna buy two tho. I don't think i'll be able to tell the difference....

I'm gonna get some quotes tomorrow to see how much it'll cost to fix and plus try to hit up the state of NM highway dept. I think insurance might cover this too...I believe I have a $200 deductible......
might as well buy a new one then i guess
Old 05-03-04, 02:51 PM
Michifan12
Pole Position

Originally posted by JamesIS300
your state wont do anything so save yourself a phone call when you tell them what happened they will probably ask why you called them
Well I called the dept. of transportation and they transferred me over to the Safety Division and I left a message with them and they should be calling me back by tomorrow.

Apparently they will pay for the damages under most circumstances but we'll see what they say after I talk to them....

I'll keep everyone updated....
Old 05-03-04, 04:58 PM
SDuquette
Lexus Test Driver

Well I called the dept. of transportation and they transferred me over to the Safety Division and I left a message with them and they should be calling me back by tomorrow.

Apparently they will pay for the damages under most circumstances but we'll see what they say after I talk to them....

I'll keep everyone updated....
I'll be a witness if you need one, that bastard was dangerous, and right where your tires run.
Old 05-03-04, 09:19 PM
TxLexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mich

Its fixable, I ve seen worse. Albuqurkey or how ever you spell that friggin city name is not that small. You should be able to find a wheel and tire shop that can straighten it out. I dont know about chroming. Since the chrome chip isnt all that big, I would get it straighten and drive on it. Wheel straightening cost about 75 bucks around here in Houston.

I have had many bent wheels, I got sick of getting it fixed. ya know what I d do if that was my wheel. Since there isnt a crack. Go buy yourself a good rubber mallet. and bang it back out. Or get like a good piece of wood to protect it from hammer mark and lay it over the area where you want to hit and bang it out. I ve done it several times. It works for me.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Bent Rim!!! Fixable??! *PICS*