Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Does On-Line Tire Purchase really save money?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-04, 09:50 AM
kjbro
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does On-Line Tire Purchase really save money?

I will need new tires within the next few months for my 95 LS400 and am interested in The Tire Rack. My understanding is that Big O Tires in my area will install. My question is.....when you boil down the cost of Tire Rack tire and installation cost of Big O, is there enough price savings to justify. Have not had time to price at local shops vs. The Tire Rack route.

Can members give examples of "out the door" price savings from their experience? Nothing against The Tire Rack, but I don't feel like going through all the steps if savings is around $100.
Old 04-27-04, 11:10 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have another alternative. There are shops that "partner" with tire rack. Order the tires and have them shipped directly to the shop for install. Custom Alignment in Mountain View is one such example. Your potential savings are based on on what tires you buy. High end tires, bigger savings. Lower end, probably not worth the effort.
Old 04-27-04, 11:34 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I made a copy of the tires and price from tire rack and took it to a tire shop near my house and they matched it, and mounted and balanced for free................Remember Shop Around
Old 04-27-04, 10:26 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

Depending on what you want, you can always go to Costco (or www.costco.com) and you can order the tires and get them installed w/ a lifetime balance, lifetime rotation, and a road hazard warranty for a single price out the door. Give it a shot.

I paid $204.99/per tire for my 235/45/R17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (and that price was complete for mount, lifetime balance, lifetime rotations, and road hazard warranty). Once I added in tax, it was $216 per tire complete. If I went the TireRack route, it would have been about $195 per tire shipped to my door, then I would have to paid another $10 for mounting and balancing per tire at a local shop. In the end, it just wasn't worth it for me for the small savings, and potentially paying extra for a lifetime balance and future rotations that going the Costco route would have provided already. Besides, having a road hazard warranty through Costco gave me a big piece of mind, if I ever had any issues w/ the tires. Just another alternative to think about.