Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

20" 3 piece forged wheel for $777 ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-04, 11:26 PM
Fongx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Wow. I am glad you publicly admitted your company engineering problem. So again why cast the first store and criticize other wheel manufacture's engineering?

I though "TheFallan" is Vince. I do not resemble Vince but you are close. We are both Asians.

But I am stil curious. Why a wheel that was designed in 1997 and I am assuming produced since 1997 still shows up cracked in 2004?

Mr. Hayashi or Mr. ThreeBalls if you prefer. Peace bro.

Originally posted by SoCalSC4
So, who exactly are you? Fongx... as in Vince?

HRE has never made this issue a secret. To be honest, I feel we have dealt with it in a very straightforward and professional manner. The early 547 wheels were all recalled and replaced at no charge. Due to some vehicles and wheels changing hands, there were a few customers we were not able to contact. However, every effort was made to get the newer version of the 547 into customers' hands as soon as possible. On many vehicles, the strength was not even an issue- they were replaced as a precaution.

When the 547 style wheel was designed in 1997 (back before many of the 'other' three-piece wheel manufacturers even existed), it was designed by a now ex-HRE draftsman who was hired by the original founder of HRE. He was a terrific draftsman and sort of a jack of all trades (out of necessity). Unfortunately, he was not a degreed Engineer and did not understand the subtleties of what fatigue does to a wheels' structure.

When the present owners of HRE took over in early 1998 the staff was given a significant overhaul. Included in this overhaul were the hiring of our current President, VP, Engineer, and myself. The entire 540 wheel line was analyzed and refined. The more recent releases of the 640 SUV series, 440R series, 840R series and Competition series are all a culmination of our knowledge and expertise of how to design great wheels.

Are you serious? Has there ever been a question about HRE's dedication to quality and customer satisfaction? You mention "cast the first stone..." HRE and I have never hidden behind anything. There have however been numerous complaints about how a few other wheel companies have handled a variety of customer issues- some seem to choose not to address it at all. Others actually do have dignity and integrity.

I am not sure how this turned into an attack on HRE (but I have my suspicions about an "agenda"). My presence on this board is because I am a Lexus enthusiast and a car guy. If I can share some knowledge and help educate others, I think that is a worthwhile, constructive, and positive way to conduct myself. Can you say the same? Do you even have the ***** to identify yourself?

Regards,

Bob Hale
Project Manager
HRE Performance Wheels
bobh@hrewheels.com
Old 04-30-04, 12:36 AM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why dont you just send me over the wheels ...i'll mount and balance them and we'll put slap them on and follow up with reviews. SIMPLE! (yet the most effective) We have alot of members in OC/LA area so wouldn't this seem most logical to gain business?
Old 04-30-04, 06:03 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Fongx
Wow. I am glad you publicly admitted your company engineering problem. So again why cast the first store and criticize other wheel manufacture's engineering?

I though "TheFallan" is Vince. I do not resemble Vince but you are close. We are both Asians.

But I am stil curious. Why a wheel that was designed in 1997 and I am assuming produced since 1997 still shows up cracked in 2004?

Mr. Hayashi or Mr. ThreeBalls if you prefer. Peace bro.
This guy again????
Old 04-30-04, 09:57 AM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question

So iForged is no good???
Old 04-30-04, 10:38 AM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Lonely Toothbrush
So iForged is no good???
as for quality they are great but in the past they have been lacking in the customer service department. I do hear that they are improving and should be making a huge effort to satisfy customers.

The wheels are great IMO as most will agree.
Old 04-30-04, 12:39 PM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

My wheel vendor told me sometimes iForged doesn't fit. They make alot of mistakes on fitments & specs ALL THE TIME.
Old 04-30-04, 12:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

My wheel vendor told me sometimes iForged doesn't fit. They make alot of mistakes on fitments & specs ALL THE TIME.
if anything, that's why you should read my faq
Old 04-30-04, 01:06 PM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Lightbulb

Originally posted by rominl
if anything, that's why you should read my faq
They still mess up even though u specificly told them the specs
Old 04-30-04, 01:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

They still mess up even though u specificly told them the specs
really? you got stories on that? now that would suck
Old 05-03-04, 07:45 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry if you took offense to me suggesting you were somebody else- it was not meant to be an insult. The iForged crew came into our booth and introduced themselves during SEMA 2003. They seemed friendly enough...
You do still have me at a disadvantage, however- I don't know your name.

It's interesting that you mentioned this- the reason is fatigue. A stress crack can take millions of cycles to appear. Over the last few years, we have developed a method of testing to identify problems like these during intitial prototyping and testing- some of it is even done "virtually," by using powerful software to predict where issues may arise. In spite of all the comuter technology, we still manufacture and test prototype wheels for laboratory testing. HRE is also active in WIC (Wheel Industry Council), a SEMA organization looking to create standards for wheels made in and sold in the USA (there currently are no concrete DOT regulations for this).

While HRE has been making wheels since 1981, the real innovations have happened within the last five years or so.... we have the resources and the technology to set new standards for wheel manufacturing, and we are passionate about doing exactly that. I only posed the question to exemplify that there can be a 'learning curve' associated with the engineering and manufacturing of wheels. HRE now sets that curve.

Regards,

Bob Hale
Project Manager
HRE Performance Wheels