Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Michelin ZP Tires?

Old 04-18-04, 12:25 PM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Michelin ZP Tires?

Hi All,

*** Edit
This was originally posted in the SC430 forum since only those Lexus cars use runflats. By the grace of gods and mods, it got moved here! Go figure?
*** End edits

I think I'll be transferring from the SC400 forum within a few days. The car I have a contract on is a red/ecru 02 with 19,900 miles. Also, it's from a state with no front plate requirement! I think I'll try to keep that clean nose look as long as the local constabulary will allow.

Fortunately (?) part of the deal will allow me to buy new tires. It needs two now and, unless I match the RE040s that are on the other end (replaced under warranty last fall because of unusual wear), I'll buy four to match. Speaking of unusual wear, is 20K miles all we expect to get out of these tires?

I've read most of the threads here relating to the pro and cons of runflats but have seen no comments/opinions on the Michelin ZP tires. Is this because they're not being made in our size, because GM is getting them all or because I don't use the search engine very well?

All answers gratefully appreciated.

George

Last edited by Carpe Diem; 04-19-04 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-18-04, 07:50 PM
DropTop430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Must Read

All I can say in regards to tires is that I spent two full years driving an SC430 with the stock Bridgestone Potenza Run Flats and I hated them. I didn't realize how much I did until I switched them last week for a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.

THE DIFFERENCE IS NIGHT AND DAY!!!!!!!!!! I'm shocked. It doesn't even feel like the same car.

No more noise, no more banging over bumps, just smooth, very quiet ride. The grip is much better as well,

I would suggest that anyone who has the slightist idea of switching tires from the run flats do it now. This is too nice a car to have it brought down with those piece of !$*! tires.

Do it and you will be so happy you did.

This is just my opinion but I strongly urge you to consider doing it
Old 04-19-04, 05:10 AM
CaptPJB
Driver School Candidate

Default Pilot Sport A/S

I just made the change too from the Bridgestone R/F's to Pilot Sport A/S after two years of suffering ( 17,000 miles) and listening to my dealer telling me the noise and thumps were "normal" for a SC430. I agree 100% with the above post it is a different car on the Michelin tires, quiet good ride and more grip it feels like a Lexus again. When I saw them off the wear pattern on all four of my R/fFs was terrible, rolled edges and the centers were worn too. Car is Lexus serviced and have had the tire pressure at 32-33 so maybe it is just the tire or else the aligngement on all four wheeels is off! Will get that checked mext service.

Anone contemplating making the switch from R/F's, it is well worth it.
Old 04-19-04, 05:17 AM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

So I guess no one has any experience with the Michelin runflats? What about the XLR? Can someone who has driven one of those comment of the ride with Michelin ZPs?

George

Last edited by Carpe Diem; 04-19-04 at 05:20 AM.
Old 04-19-04, 05:40 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Michelin ZP

Michelin makes their run flats for BMW 740 and Chevy Corvette. They are not made in your size, unfortunately.

Last edited by Brandon@TR; 04-19-04 at 05:54 AM.
Old 04-19-04, 10:18 AM
jwb
Driver School Candidate

Default runflats are evil

I can definitely concur with the others, get rid of the runflats!

thats the easy part - the hard part is figuring out which tire to buy next. Its made even harder by the 'all or nothing' nature of buying a tire. once its on, its yours.

since i live in CA, i went for the 'max performance' summer tire category and picked up some michelin pilot sport ps2's. while they are much better than the RF's, they are *loud*. While driving on the highway (cement is much worse than asphalt) you get a nice howl the entire time. sort of drives you mad.

so, ask around here, search the archives, and check out the ratings. Good luck with your new purchase! You'll love it
Old 04-19-04, 09:09 PM
SeattleGS400
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: runflats are evil

Originally posted by jwb
I can definitely concur with the others, get rid of the runflats!

thats the easy part - the hard part is figuring out which tire to buy next. Its made even harder by the 'all or nothing' nature of buying a tire. once its on, its yours.

since i live in CA, i went for the 'max performance' summer tire category and picked up some michelin pilot sport ps2's. while they are much better than the RF's, they are *loud*. While driving on the highway (cement is much worse than asphalt) you get a nice howl the entire time. sort of drives you mad.

so, ask around here, search the archives, and check out the ratings. Good luck with your new purchase! You'll love it
Actually, if you buy your tires through Costco, there actually is a 30 day customer satisfaction guarantee. That is, if you buy some tires, and you don't like them, Coscto will exchange them for a different set free of charge (plus or minus any cost differences in the tires). This is a great way to go if you don't know which ones to get. I did this w/ my old Nissan Maxima--tried some Michelin XGT H4 for 2 weeks, didn't like them, then got some Michelin MXV4 Energy Plus instead (again just paid the difference in price for the tires--NO additional reinstallation/rebalancing fees). Got to give it to Costco!
Old 04-20-04, 01:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Thumbs down Get rid of the run-flats

Run-flats aren't worth a damn for much of anything else except convienence (and maybe safety in some circumstances if you have a flat in a seedy neighborhood) The main reason that cars like the Corvette and SC use them is to increase trunk space without the spare tire. But they have sidewalls so firm that ride quality really stinks, and the steering response isn't that much better to compensate. And they're generally limited generally to 50 MPH and 50 miles or less.
I agree with the earlier posts.....get a good set of conventional tires and carry the spare in the trunk...room or no room.
Old 04-20-04, 06:53 PM
dmizock
Driver School Candidate

Question Pilot Sport PS2 v.s. Pilot Sport A/S

I too, trashed my run-flats and, living in Southern CA, opted for the Pilot PS2's. They are, indeed way better than the RF's, but as mentioned above, are somewhat noisier than I expected at highway speeds. Michelin rates the PS2 as a 6 on their 1 to 10 scale for quietness, while they rate the Pilot All Season as a 7 out of 10. My dealer will exchange the PS2's for the A/S's since I only have a few hundred miles on them, but he warned me that as the Pilot A/S wears, they will begin to make much more noise than the PS2's. What to do? Do any of you have the Pilot Sport A/S tires with 12,000 to 15,000 miles on them? Have they become progressively more noisy? Any thoughts?