Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-04, 11:32 PM
Din
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake pads

sounds like im going to need new brake pads soon which pads should i get that i will get the best bang for my buck?
Old 02-25-04, 11:39 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

i got oem when mine were wearing out. i like 'em
Old 02-26-04, 05:32 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Stick with Lexus/Toyota OEM brake pads; they're the best and most reliable in the industry and give off hardly any brake dust or screeching. For a start, you can find pads like this at reasonable prices in http://www.irontoad.com. Good luck.
Old 02-26-04, 10:33 AM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by lexusk8
Stick with Lexus/Toyota OEM brake pads; they're the best and most reliable in the industry and give off hardly any brake dust or screeching. For a start, you can find pads like this at reasonable prices in http://www.irontoad.com. Good luck.
Are you kidding me? The OEM ones have a hell of a lot of brake dust! They are semimetallic so there's brake dust up the wazoo. On the plus side, there's not too much squeeling.
Old 02-26-04, 11:14 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by siniquezu
Are you kidding me? The OEM ones have a hell of a lot of brake dust! They are semimetallic so there's brake dust up the wazoo. On the plus side, there's not too much squeeling.
I have Lexus OEM brake pads (second set) on my '99 GS400, and it stops with excellent power, minimally produces brake dust, and has no noise, and for only about $50 per axle set, it's a great deal ($100 for all 4 corners). I've tried 2 different aftermarket pads before (minimal savings of $5-10/set), and they tend to produce way more dust than OEM and make more noise--only to be replaced with OEM pads within 500 miles.

Carson Toyota is a grea source as well as IronToad (www.carsontoyota.com).

Last edited by SeattleGS400; 02-26-04 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-26-04, 11:18 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I have Rotora Axxis Ultimates and they are great, added a little 'bite' to the pedal, and are not THAT bad with brake dust (not GREAT either though )

The car dealer had put cheap organic pads on the car when I bought it, so those had to GO. Now THAT was alot of brakedust!
Old 02-26-04, 11:22 AM
Din
Lexus Champion

what about these pads
Old 02-26-04, 11:27 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

dont know about those, got mine from Carson, and the box was orange, cant remember what I paid, maybe something like 150 or so
Old 02-26-04, 09:46 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

get some hawk pads. the stock brake pads were eh.. the stock pads turn into jello after you do one or two hard stops. Matrix pads were about the same stopping power as the stock pads but didn't fade as quickly.

Last edited by mrshabo; 02-26-04 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-27-04, 09:41 AM
Nick T
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Din,
Akebono ceramic pads. Low dust, low noise, wide heat operating range.

Regards
Old 02-27-04, 10:52 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Akebono, Sumitomo, and Axxis/PBR make good brake pads. Akebono and Sumitomo are Toyota OEMs. Stay away from Raybestos and Bendix. Raybestos have pedal feel, noise, and heat issues, my car had Kragen pads on it, but i installed OEM Sumitomo pads on there, much better.
Old 02-27-04, 01:06 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I bought OEM pads from the dealer for the first brake job I did on my car after I got it, and they were good. Then once those wore out I got some Bendix...never again...they chewed up my rotors and made a horrible squeal whenever I came to a stop. There's nothing more embarassing (well almost) than rolling up to a group of chicks at a light and your Lex's brakes are squealing, it's like you want to say "I swear my brakes are brand new!" I took those things off and used them for road rage purposes (j/k). I went to a brake specialty place in Hollywood and got some Sumitomo's, and that's what I'll stick with from now on until I do some sort of brake upgrade to the Brembo system or something...I hear Hawk's are okay as well but I have no personal experience with them...
Old 03-04-04, 03:27 PM
oversteer
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought EBC Green Stuff from Tire Rack and they are great. Great bite at all temps and the car stops MUCH faster than stock. The first time the wife borrowed the car she wanted to know what I had done to the brakes because even she could notice the difference. A little more dust than stock but not too much more. It s worth knowing I can stop much faster if I need to.
Old 03-11-04, 07:09 AM
BLW
Driver

Default I am Impressed

I just installed a set of pads I received from tirerack and so far I am very pleased. They are the Satisfied Pro Performance OE pads. I installed last weekend, so do not have long term opinion on them yet, but after 4 days with them on I can say I am pleased. They stop my car better than the EBC Greenstuffs, which came off my car as these went on, and definiately have less brake dust than the EBC. I actually had to tell my wife to be carefull on her first application of the brakes , because they are not the same as the brakes I just removed. Maybe I performed a better install on these pads than I did with the EBC. The Satisfied pads came with their own grease/silencer lubricant and I cleaned and applied to all friction points on the pad retainer clips for each pad/caliper. The brakes have less dust, are quiet and have great stopping power for my stock GS400 brakes. They were the least expensive pads I could find as well. All 4 corners cost me $55.00 plus $10.00 for shipping. Here is the general link at Tire Rack for the pads I am referring to, maybe they have them for your model of Lexus as well.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...rform+OEM+Pads