Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

GS w/ 20x11 rear? will it fit?

Old 01-07-04, 11:12 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GS w/ 20x11 rear? will it fit?

I asked this question and got no response in the Makaveli rim thread is this doable?
thanks
- Erick
Old 01-07-04, 11:20 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default ...

I think Bob 'SoCalSC4' was talking about doing that with his GS...not sure but I think I read it somewhere in this forum awhile back. Bob where you at, maybe you can weigh in on this?

-Seize
Old 01-07-04, 11:21 AM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ...

Originally posted by Seize
I think Bob 'SoCalSC4' was talking about doing that with his GS...not sure but I think I read it somewhere in this forum awhile back. Bob where you at, maybe you can weigh in on this?

-Seize
I'm 90% sure you'll need to roll fenders quite a bit, but it is doable. If your into going that far, prepare for some work!

-Anthony
Old 01-07-04, 12:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

yes it's very doable. 20x11 is what bob is doing to do. you don't need major fender mod. i bet shaving it would be all you need at the most
Old 01-07-04, 01:17 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

They won't fit without a little work.
Old 01-07-04, 01:31 PM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally posted by Richie
This is true!!
Old 01-07-04, 03:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Richie
bob mainly just shaved the fender. i think he rolled a bit but from what i saw it wasn't major at all. rmmgs4 also took a look at his. he has 10" in the back now and there are plenty of space for 11. just go inward. on his outside he only sand off around 5mm on the fender tab
Old 01-07-04, 06:25 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey there...

I shaved & rolled the rear fenders mainly to accommodate the aggressive offset of my current 20x10 +36 wheels with 285/30-20 tires. I like the "aggressive" european look, and was willing to go the extra mile to make it work...

The short answer is yes, an 11" wide wheel will work on a GS, including the first-gen cars- with the correct offset. Based on my current wheel, I could actually go to a 20x11.5" and still have about 3mm clearance to the coilovers.

In February, I will get the first set of Pirelli's new NERO 255/30-20 and 305/25-20 tires. These intrigue me because they are closer to the factory tire diameter (and the rears are WIDE!): my current 20x9" are perfect for a 255, but the 305 rear tire really likes to be on an 11" wide wheel.
To achieve this, I will simply change the inner rim of my three-piece wheels to add the extra inch. The wheels won't look any different relative the the fender- the additional width goes to the inside.

Depending on which wheel you choose, an 11" wide wheel may or may not be available in an offset which is appropriate for your Lexus. The wheel manufacturer should be able to recommend widths and offsets for the GS. If they can't figure out how to make the 11" wide wheel work, I would look elsewhere...

Forgive me if I don't just come out and tell you what offset you need, but I spend a ton of time figuring this stuff out for HRE- part of what makes our wheels so special is how they fit on cars. Would the Colonel give away the recipie for his "eleven herbs and spices?" (guess not... now that he has gone to the big bucket of chicken in the sky!)
Old 01-07-04, 09:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

awesome reply bob, as usual can't wait ti see pics of the 11" wheel from behind
Old 01-07-04, 10:48 PM
Downtown
Pole Position

You just gotta do a post of that look!

DT
Old 01-08-04, 11:53 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

great post socal!! so this more than likely will fit with the right offsset....
also what do you think of these wheels? Makaveli wheels
Attached Thumbnails GS w/ 20x11 rear? will it fit?-mosewhl.jpg  
Old 01-08-04, 12:47 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I have to ask this, how much lip action is TOO much?? I have seen 3.5" lips and others around that much, I wonder if 5" may be a little too much? Dont want to start that reverse offset trend again!! LOL

I'm just asking to see what you all think about this!
Old 01-08-04, 01:32 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by SoCalSC4
Hey there...

I shaved & rolled the rear fenders mainly to accommodate the aggressive offset of my current 20x10 +36 wheels with 285/30-20 tires. I like the "aggressive" european look, and was willing to go the extra mile to make it work...

The short answer is yes, an 11" wide wheel will work on a GS, including the first-gen cars- with the correct offset. Based on my current wheel, I could actually go to a 20x11.5" and still have about 3mm clearance to the coilovers.

In February, I will get the first set of Pirelli's new NERO 255/30-20 and 305/25-20 tires. These intrigue me because they are closer to the factory tire diameter (and the rears are WIDE!): my current 20x9" are perfect for a 255, but the 305 rear tire really likes to be on an 11" wide wheel.
To achieve this, I will simply change the inner rim of my three-piece wheels to add the extra inch. The wheels won't look any different relative the the fender- the additional width goes to the inside.

Depending on which wheel you choose, an 11" wide wheel may or may not be available in an offset which is appropriate for your Lexus. The wheel manufacturer should be able to recommend widths and offsets for the GS. If they can't figure out how to make the 11" wide wheel work, I would look elsewhere...

Forgive me if I don't just come out and tell you what offset you need, but I spend a ton of time figuring this stuff out for HRE- part of what makes our wheels so special is how they fit on cars. Would the Colonel give away the recipie for his "eleven herbs and spices?" (guess not... now that he has gone to the big bucket of chicken in the sky!)
Bob, 305's will look awesome on your car.
Keep me posted
Old 01-08-04, 06:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by DGOT20s
I have to ask this, how much lip action is TOO much?? I have seen 3.5" lips and others around that much, I wonder if 5" may be a little too much? Dont want to start that reverse offset trend again!! LOL

I'm just asking to see what you all think about this!
i am with you D. i love lip, but too much lip means stupid to me. i think 4" is the most i would go. i have seen cars with 5 or 6" lip and i was like man... where's the wheel. i literally had to FIND it
Old 01-08-04, 06:59 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by rominl
i was like man... where's the wheel. i literally had to FIND it
LOL too much of anything is not good!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GS w/ 20x11 rear? will it fit?