Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

lots of road noise, tires? what gives?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-04, 07:57 AM
aswang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default lots of road noise, tires? what gives?

belated happy new year everyone,

i've searched through a great number of pages throughout this section and have not been able to draw any conclusions. My issue is that as of late my SC300 has been making lots of road noise at around 60 mph, at first I thought it was the road itself, or even sometimes possibly a helicopter flying above me.

I'm currently riding on Tein HA's(made for a supra)and stock is300 wheels on 215/45ZR-17 Pirelli P7000 Supersports which were mounted and balanced about 2 months ago, along with an alignment. Up to now I haven't experienced any problems with it.

Perhaps, I'm just being paranoid? or is it something totally different? Any suggestions or thoughts guys?!
Old 01-05-04, 12:29 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You probably would rather eliminate the source of the noise, rather than muffle it up. Can't help you with determining the source, but if you want to try more sound deadening, mine got a wee bit quieter when I put some RAAMMat in the rear seat area. :

More details at:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=50287

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 01-05-04 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-05-04, 08:45 PM
aswang
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for the reply, great article on the link.
Old 01-06-04, 09:27 AM
setwire
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raammat

PERRYinLA
Read your post on the sound deadening install.
How effective is this Raammat Material ?
Where can one obtain this material.
Do you have a link to a site that sells this material or the name of the company that manufactures it.
I am interested in making my Lexus as quiet as possible.
Rob
Old 01-06-04, 11:32 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The improvement was noticeable, but not dramatic- our cars are already very quiet. In addition to the RAAMmat, there's 2 small pockets that I filled up with packing foam, just under each passenger's thighs. You'll see them once the seats are removed- they are just forward of the beige lip you see at the bottom of the photo.

RAAMmat is similar to lots of other sound-deadening products out there, like DynoMat, but it costs much less. The fellow that sells it out of the San Diego area is friends with CL member RetroDrive- send Pete a private message and he will hook you up with the best price. It comes in 50 sq ft rolls. If I had to do it again, I would not cover up that round access panel you see in the top center of the photo- that's used to get to the fuel tank, fuel gauge and fuel pump. It is unlikely I'll ever need to service those parts, but if I ever do, it will be a little messy (but certainly not impossible).

soarer213- did the noise start when you put in the new tires 2 months ago, or sometimes afterwards?
Old 01-06-04, 12:48 PM
aswang
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by PERRYinLA

soarer213- did the noise start when you put in the new tires 2 months ago, or sometimes afterwards?
actually I just started noticing it a couple days agao. The noise comes, then goes away again, but I'm still trying to determine if it's just the pavement, if i'm just being paranoid, or any other factors.
Old 01-06-04, 04:12 PM
setwire
Pole Position

Default Noise

I have the same problem in my SC 400.
Bought the car, the tires were totally shot due to bad wheel alignment.
Had the wheels aligned and in the process the alignment guy told me my passenger rear wheel alignment was barely coming into specs with the cam totally adjusted one way.
Drove away from the alignment shop and noticed some new vibrations in the driveline and also a clicking noise coming from the centre council.
Have to this point not been able to trace the clicking noise.

I am in the process however of replacing my engine mounts, trans mount and all the upper and lower bushing in all 4 wheels ( Bought the Vlamos rubber replacement bushing and steering bushings out of Australia ) as it is my belief these units are far superior to any urethane bushing available
I am also going to replace my Torque Converter with a Dragon Converter as the chief mechanic at the local Lexus Dealership told me the vibrations in the driveline are due to a bad torque converter and transmission mount.

I hopefully will have all this work done in the next week.
Not at the Lexus Dealership as they want a fortune to do all this.

My local mechanic will be doing all the work with the aid of the Lexus Workshop manuals I purchased.
The manuals are probably the best investment I have made in my vehicle to this point.
Will post the results after all work has been completed.

Rob
Old 01-07-04, 06:45 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Being a hard-compound tire (to achieve good wear characteristics), the P7000 SuperSport is not a quiet tire. The "summer" version of this tire (regular P7000) is quieter, but wears faster. The SS's will continue to get more noisy as they wear- but I am surprised they are already getting noticeably noisier...

The good news is you should get about 35-40K miles out of the SS's- the bad news is that you'll have to live with the noise for that much longer!

The P7000 SS is a pretty old design, in fact, they were discontinued by Pirelli last summer. As tire technology improves, tires last longer and are quieter. Pirelli's new P-Zero Rosso and Nero tires are light years ahead of the old P7000 SS. The Yohomama AVS DB (for "Decibel") is a quiet tire, too. Might be a better choice next time 'round.

BH

Last edited by SoCalSC4; 01-07-04 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-13-04, 08:04 PM
aswang
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Noise

Originally posted by setwire
I have the same problem in my SC 400.
Bought the car, the tires were totally shot due to bad wheel alignment.
Had the wheels aligned and in the process the alignment guy told me my passenger rear wheel alignment was barely coming into specs with the cam totally adjusted one way.
Drove away from the alignment shop and noticed some new vibrations in the driveline and also a clicking noise coming from the centre council.
Have to this point not been able to trace the clicking noise.

I am in the process however of replacing my engine mounts, trans mount and all the upper and lower bushing in all 4 wheels ( Bought the Vlamos rubber replacement bushing and steering bushings out of Australia ) as it is my belief these units are far superior to any urethane bushing available
I am also going to replace my Torque Converter with a Dragon Converter as the chief mechanic at the local Lexus Dealership told me the vibrations in the driveline are due to a bad torque converter and transmission mount.

I hopefully will have all this work done in the next week.
Not at the Lexus Dealership as they want a fortune to do all this.

My local mechanic will be doing all the work with the aid of the Lexus Workshop manuals I purchased.
The manuals are probably the best investment I have made in my vehicle to this point.
Will post the results after all work has been completed.

Rob
You definitely did give me a great amount of info to take into consideration there. It's always nice to have a personal mechanic to do most things, or else we'd probablly all be hurting . Please let me know how everything goes with all the new equipment/materials.

mike

Last edited by aswang; 01-13-04 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-13-04, 08:08 PM
aswang
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by SoCalSC4
Being a hard-compound tire (to achieve good wear characteristics), the P7000 SuperSport is not a quiet tire. The "summer" version of this tire (regular P7000) is quieter, but wears faster. The SS's will continue to get more noisy as they wear- but I am surprised they are already getting noticeably noisier...

The good news is you should get about 35-40K miles out of the SS's- the bad news is that you'll have to live with the noise for that much longer!

The P7000 SS is a pretty old design, in fact, they were discontinued by Pirelli last summer. As tire technology improves, tires last longer and are quieter. Pirelli's new P-Zero Rosso and Nero tires are light years ahead of the old P7000 SS. The Yohomama AVS DB (for "Decibel") is a quiet tire, too. Might be a better choice next time 'round.

BH
Thanks for pointing that out, hopefully it is just the tires though, Im really considering selling these IS300 wheels I currently have on the car now, and just getting some stock TT wheels. Maybe I can try out those Rosso or Nero models with that maybe.

mike

Last edited by aswang; 01-13-04 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-13-04, 09:16 PM
setwire
Pole Position

Default Noise and vibrations

Finally booked some time with my mechanic.
Taking my SC 400 in tomorrow to have the following done
Complete set of Vlamos Robber Control arm bushing installed
Rotora Slotted Discs installed
Stainless Steel Brake Lines instsalled
Dragon Torque Converter installed.
Flushing out tranny fluid and replacing with Toyota Type IV fluid.
Drive Line checked out and Balanced
Wheel Alignment

Will let you know if all these thing remedy the shuttering and clicking noises I have been experiencing in my drive line.
May also have my diifferential changed depending on the outcome of the above.

Rob
Old 01-14-04, 10:27 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tires

True the P7000 Super Sports are not the quietest tire, however your description sounds like more then just tread noise. Tread noise is usually caused by the tread pattern rather then the compound and sometimes the wear pattern of the tire will make it worse. For example there a several max performance tires made with soft rubber that are fairly noisy and many passenger all season tires with 80K tread life warranties that are very quiet.
Old 01-26-04, 05:40 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

SoCal, I thought P7000's were incredibly soft and sticky... Brandon, is that what you are saying? Or am I jus confused?
Old 01-26-04, 05:52 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default P7000 Super Sport

The P7000 SS is an all season tire with a longer tread life then an all out max performance tire (about 25-30K). I would not describe it as incredibly soft and sticky especially when compared to a max performance summer tire.
Old 01-26-04, 08:36 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, so apparently I'm confused I must have been thinking of a different tire.

Quick Reply: lots of road noise, tires? what gives?