Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Rim question

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-03, 05:18 PM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rim question

Sup peeps

I have a blk 99 GS300. I am lookin gfor a 20' chrome rim/tire pkg in the market. I have an idea of what i want and the budget is $2000

I just need suggestions on what tire should i use and should the car be dropped. I have heard alot of ideas from the shop owners but a suggestion from fellow GS owners would be cool.

Thanx in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Rim question-wheel.jpg  
Old 12-16-03, 05:38 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

$2000 for 20" chromes w/ tires? Staggered?

I'm sure there are a few wheels+tires that will fit your constraints.....thus your choices of wheel styles and tire quality may be limited.

Good luck.

Peter
Old 12-16-03, 05:39 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Hey man, do a search for "tire sizes" and some stuff will come up. Normal size for GS is 245/35-20 all around.

20" Chrome is gonna be tough for 2k, go to superbuytires.com and look around some are like 2500.

I'm not too crazy about the wheel you posted, but if your feeling them, go for it.

Where in NY are you? And what shops have you been talking to?
Old 12-16-03, 08:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

if you get same all around, it would be 245/35/20
if you get staggered, it would be 245/35/20 and 275/30/30
Old 12-16-03, 09:51 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

2k 4 rims and tires is not going 2 b easy but if u look hard enough umight find a good deal.. let us know how u make out...
Old 12-16-03, 10:52 PM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

Thanx for the input....

Ok first i actually have moved to South Cali so i went to cpl of spots here. ALOT of good deals here. I went

to a RIM manufacturer by my house and the pic of the rim u see is there's. They quoted me $2100 all

installed. The tire size is 255/35/20..On there brochure they actually had a pic of a GS with the rim and it

looked really nice. The only thing that bothers me is the center cap is portruding outwards in a pointy way

instead of bieng flat.

I moved from Long Isalnd and the car customizing craziness is NO where close to how it is over here in

SOCAL.

STILL LOOKING!

Peace.
Old 12-16-03, 11:44 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

$2100? Wow, what are you waiting for? Every time I buy Pirellis or Yokohamas it costs me $1200...
That leaves $800 for the wheels, $200 each.

Sheeesh! That is cheap! I remember (back in '91) when I bought my 15x7" Racing Sparco RR (two-piece) for my MR2- I thought they were a grip at $240 each (plus rubber).

To put this all in perspective, $2K won't even buy one of my rear HRE 20x10 wheels (at retail)...

The reality is: for $2100, you're getting a cheap cast aluminum wheel, and probably no-name tires....
It's your money... and your Lexus.
Old 12-17-03, 05:23 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Moved to Cali from Strong Island eh? Enjoy the weather. Just a couple of things:

First off, there are alot of wheel shops and etc over there, but BE CAREFUL! Alot of them may selling lowest common denominator goods, which means, they are selling the least expensive rims and the least expensive tires, just to get people riding on dubs quick! For example, if that shop knew you were even THINKING of lowering your car, they should not have suggested 255/35-20 tires, because you will rub with that setup, depending on offset. My wheels are 35offset, and with 255 tires I rub with NO LOWERING!! I have 35offset and 255s because they are the wheels from my old car that I sold in NOV.

Also many shops may show you a pic, but it could be a photoshop, etc.

My best advice for you is to just hang around here for a little while before you buy your wheels/tires. Do your research (notice the word SEARCH in there- ) and ask questions/PM people etc.

You can ask almost any member here, we ALL wish we could have done things like you, by finding CL BEFORE we bought anymods!!

Do this, click here and check out some of the cars here. If you see something you like come back on and post the pics and ask questions, etc. There are lots of cars here with different size rims, different finish, prices, etc.

You DO NOT have to spend a ton of money to get nice wheels, you just have to be patient and be informed!!

OH yeah welcome to CL
Old 12-17-03, 07:34 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

"D" makes a very good point, if they knew anything they wouldn't mention 255/35/20 tires 4 u ....u need 245/35/20 on a 20x8.5 wheel....also make sure u c a real life pic of the wheel and look carefully cus sometimes even te ones on the cars r photoshops....also those wheels r probably going 2 b very heavy..check weight on wheels here and there u'll c a difference, the less the wheels cost the heavier they r with glued on bolts 2 look like 3pc wheels...just keep an eye out 4 these things and good luck in u'r search.
Old 12-17-03, 07:35 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

oh by the way congrads on the move west....did u ship u'r car or drive it?
Old 12-17-03, 11:14 AM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

Thumbs up

DGOT20's BLUELEX and others, its fellow lex owners like you that make me come to this board for ALL lex related questions. You guys are great!

Ok cpl of things ( i was not clear enough) I actually went to the SHOWROOM in front of the factory and saw there "collection" and there "portfolio"

I am trying NOT to plug there site but this is here:

http://www.eroticawheels.com

The guy showed me the rim and alot of other pics of there rims on other cars. Heres the thing....Today im getting the yellow fog light assembly from Carson toyota that i have ordered. I just put in CATZ hids last week so I am not really in a hurry to buy the rims and DEFINATELY would consider suggestions from you guys before buying later. I was going for 18's but i want the whole wheel/tire to cover the tire gap( i dont know whats its called) and have a LOW PROFILE tire. And yes...the guy said the tire choice is mine ....I ONLY HAVE TO TELL HIM!!!

thanx Blue, me and my wife decided to drive from Long Island to Cali! We actually had tickets but cancelled and took the 2900 mile trip. WOW . It was great and made me LOVE my LEX more than ever. It did about 450 mile per tank and WE only put premium gas. WE did stop 2 nights In TN and TX but the 45 hr total trip was made much better with the comfort and reliance of this car.

And yeah the day it snowed 2 feet over there ( like i remember last year when we were there) it was 75 and sunny here... OH YEAH!!!

Last edited by NYlexus; 12-17-03 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-17-03, 11:38 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

well..no matter what size u get u'll have a gap....if u do 20's without dropping the car it will look like a suv. trust me look around in the gallery and u'll c what it looks like, actually dgot20s had his 20's on 4 a while with the stock suspension and he'll tell u how it looked....i'm just worried thet they will sell u a wheel that is so heavy u'r gonna get less gas mileage.. it happen 2 me with my 1st set of wheels, Polo's..

on a second note, u'r crazy!! u guys drove from Li. 2 Ca. ? that must have been fun... and ya the all warm weather states r very fun....haveing a bbq in january is just priceless!!!! goodluck with u'r search...
Old 12-17-03, 12:12 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by NYlexus
DGOT20's BLUELEX and others, its fellow lex owners like you that make me come to this board for ALL lex related questions. You guys are great!
:
Hey man, dont worry about it, alot people answer my questions as well!! The good thing is your not rushing to bling!!! Trust me, although those wheels look nice and shiny, they are contructed purely for aesthetics! The weight, fittiment, etc are going to be substandard. And trust me after seeing what the GS can really be, you will hate them later on. Click on my gallery and see the GD's (ghetto dubs) that I had when I joined CL. After about 2-3months, I wanted to throw them out of a window!!! LOL

Did you look at that link? There are some REALLY nice wheels in there!

Do you have a certain style you want? 5spoke, 6spoke, mesh, deep dish, chrome, silver, pink? (just kidding about the pink!)

Also, I hate your guts, and bluelex's guts too for rubbing our bad weather in our faces. My car just defrosted TODAY and it snowed on Friday!! It just sat there like a popsicle LOL
Old 12-17-03, 12:28 PM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

DOGOT:
[B][I]"Also, I hate your guts, and bluelex's guts too for rubbing our bad weather in our faces. My car just defrosted TODAY and it snowed on Friday!! It just sat there like a popsicle LOL"[B][I]

LOL!!!...*cough* ...sorry

I knew putting rims on my car is NOT going to be that easy thats why although i'll get em in cpl of months i started the research today....

Guys, i'll check out the LINK and try to get Ideas....I'll definaltey keep u posted on the decision. Its not an easy one.

thx
Old 12-17-03, 01:24 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by NYlexus
Guys, i'll check out the LINK and try to get Ideas....I'll definaltey keep u posted on the decision. Its not an easy one.

thx
No prob man, happy hunting

Quick Reply: Rim question