Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Wheel Chroming...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-03, 10:26 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Wheel Chroming...

Hi - I was looking at a set of rims over the weekend...Unfortunately they only come in hypersilver.

Does anyone know how much it cost to get wheels chromed? Any problems? Flaking, cracking, waving? Etc. Anyone ever seen this done?
Old 12-08-03, 11:41 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

D,

Most of the places that do the chroming are right in your backyard! Look to pay about 150-200 per wheel since they have to strip it etc etc.

Whatever wheel your looking into, you may wanna ask the vendor if THEY can have it chromed for you, to save the headache and $$ lost of buying wheels, then doing all that stuff yourself!
Old 12-08-03, 12:34 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Thanks D!

You know I've been looking for "Just-The-Right" rim since the day I got this car (2 mos ago). So far I am interested in L-Sportline Model IV's (Top of the list but expensive ($1025 per wheel) and they only come in 8.5, non staggered for the 19's), HPRacing Evo's, AXIS Milano's, Foose Speedster's, and GFG GF1-5's (also too expensive, unless I find a deal)

I was asking about chroming the AXIS Milano's. Nice wheel, Nice Lip, Good company reputation (as least as far as I've read)

L-Sportline 3pc:

HPRacing Evo/Lightning 2pc:

AXIS Milano's 2pc:

Foose Speedster 3pc.

GFG GF1-5:

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-08-03, 01:13 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

The LSportline is my FAVORITE wheel, but it is pricey! Question, is there a specific reason your looking into 19s rather than 20s?

19" tire choices are limited so you pay about the same (or more) for 19" tires as you do 20s!

I was asking about chroming the AXIS Milano's. Nice wheel, Nice Lip, Good company reputation (as least as far as I've read)

PM a member named PHML, he has these (or I think he does) and I remember him saying that Axis is going to be looking into chrome plating this wheel in the future!
Old 12-08-03, 02:15 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by DGOT20s
The LSportline is my FAVORITE wheel, but it is pricey! Question, is there a specific reason your looking into 19s rather than 20s?
With 19's I can get the car 1 inch lower without a lot of space under the car, not a lot of fender gap, and no rubbing. The only "body parts" I am going to add are the TTE lip and small TTE Spoiler, they don't really add hieght to the body or wheel wells like the other kits.

PM a member named PHML, he has these (or I think he does) and I remember him saying that Axis is going to be looking into chrome plating this wheel in the future!
Per your suggestion earlier, I called AXIS wheels asking about the chroming process and they said that they now come in chrome!! I PM'd PHML after finding his name in a CL search for "Axis Milano", hopefully he has these installed so I can see what they'll look like on a GS - they look pretty H O T on this 350Z!!!

I REALLY like how the Model IV's have L-Sportline etched in the side!!

Last edited by TwentyTen; 12-08-03 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-08-03, 02:45 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I REALLY like how the Model IV's have L-Sportline etched in the side!!

I like the overall design of the wheel, perfect width of the spoke, the way the spoke sits flush with the lip (not bowed in or out), the chrome process, etc etc

With 19's I can get the car 1 inch lower without a lot of space under the car, not a lot of fender gap, and no rubbing. The only "body parts" I am going to add are the TTE lip and small TTE Spoiler, they don't really add hieght to the body or wheel wells like the other kits.

Sounds good man, you want the all around look The first time I saw the TTE spoiler was on Airtracckks car, I think he has the large one. One thing, you posted Dave GS4s car, if you want to emulate that look, he has the L-tuned sideskirts as well!!

Are you gonna order from that Group buy??
Old 12-08-03, 04:19 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep...I got them...they've been sitting in my garage for the past few weeks. Had to wait for my centering rings, lugs, locks, and spacers to arrive.

As for chroming....Axis chromes it themselves...but it'll take an extra couple of weeks for that...unless they got some chromed and ready of shipping....I think they were about $100 more for each wheel.

btw....the pic of the 350Z with Milano is only 19x8 w/ 245/30/19 all around.

Check out these links -

Sleepyboi's new setup - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=99476

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread/t-21841.html

Pete
Old 12-08-03, 05:09 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Hey PHML - thanks for the links. What did you get yous Milano's for? $2700.00 It didn't look like SleepyBoi's front lip was as deep as the 350z? Coyuld be the night photos. How is yours? Isn't it killing you to have them and not be able to mount them????

Excuse my lack of wheel knowledge, but hat are the spacers for? The wheels don't fit? And what is offset?

Thanks D and PHML. The decision is getting harder and harder.
Old 12-08-03, 05:15 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Darius2004
Thanks D and PHML. The decision is getting harder and harder.
No prob mang, anything to help. No matter what others may think, I think the Milano is a very decent wheel, and will not break the BANK!! I would really like to see them in chrome!)

Spacers, push the wheels out a few millimeters for caliper clearance, wider apprearance, etc. For clearance, most run 3-5mm, for appearance (narrow rear wheels) folks run 15-25mm (requires longer studs
Old 12-08-03, 05:28 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

No prob mang, anything to help. No matter what others may think, I think the Milano is a very decent wheel, and will not break the BANK!! I would really like to see them in chrome!)

Spacers, push the wheels out a few millimeters for caliper clearance, wider apprearance, etc. For clearance, most run 3-5mm, for appearance (narrow rear wheels) folks run 15-25mm (requires longer studs
You said it, it won't break the bank. I can't justify spending 4K+ on rims and tires. Especially when the car looks good stock. I like big lips so it's coming down to what looks the best, for the best price, with the nicest lip and clearence. Evo's and Milano. I'm leaning more toward a 5 spoke design for the easy in cleaning.

Thanks for the calrification on spacers. What is offset?

PHML - Can't wait to see those babies in chrome!!!!!
Old 12-08-03, 05:47 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

You said it, it won't break the bank. I can't justify spending 4K+ on rims and tires

. What is offset?

I'm quite sure you are not the only person that shares that view!! Sad thing is, after a while 4k starts to look like a steal!! I swear man, when I came to this board, I said anyone that spends over 3k-3500 is a fool!! Well I tell ya, I'm a fool now, and I plan to be a bigger fool in the future!! LOL

Its all about what suits you like I said, Axis is much better than Jesse James and crap like that!!

Offset is how much the wheel sticks out/in past the centerline of the hub. The higher the number, the more is sets in, the higher vice versa. Thats why you see stuff like:

19x8.5 38mm offset
19x9.5 43mm offset etc etc

Last edited by D2-AUTOSPORT; 12-08-03 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-08-03, 05:47 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

PHML - Can't wait to see those babies in chrome!!!!!
Darius -

You know its killin me inside not able to mount them yet. LOL!! My fronts (ET35) have 2.5" lip, rears (ET45) have 3.5" lip. I bought an extra 5mm spacer to push the rear out a bit....essentially having an ET40 rear offset.

Anyways, you'd be the first to get the Milano in chrome. I decided that the best finish on my Millenium Silver GS is the titanium face w/ polished lip.

Also, my stocks are the 6-spoke chromes....so I wanted a different finish.

What color is your baby? If its a dark color....the chrome will be perfect.

Ted920 was thinking chrome Milano but decided on chrome Symbolics.

Here's a link to your question on offset.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/offset.htm

Pete

Last edited by PHML; 12-08-03 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-08-03, 09:03 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the help guys!

I'll keep you posted! Thanks for the info too!

Peace...
Old 12-10-03, 10:43 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

What did you get yous Milano's for? $2700.00 It didn't look like SleepyBoi's front lip was as deep as the 350z?
Darius -

PM'd ya. That 350Z may have purchase the Milano in "MAXIS" style all around. It was available for the Mod, but maybe in the Milano. The new "MAXIS" concept of having the same width wheel front and rear, yet having a deeper dish look in the rear for the staggered look.

Call Axis to find out.

Pete