Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

2nd Generation ST-40 Caliper by STOPTECH!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-03, 05:44 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 2nd Generation ST-40 Caliper by STOPTECH!

Pretty damn sweet.......!!!

For: Immediate Release

Date: November 17, 2003

Torrance, CA… STOPTECH LLC announces immediate availability of the next generation ST-40 caliper, the ST-40 Generation-II.

The ST-40 Gen-II caliper is produced using a squeeze-forged process, a leading manufacturing technology. The result is a more consistent product with more strength and durability than the previous generation. In addition, the process improves fatigue resistance and provides for better seal life. The ST-40 Gen-II also offers a center inlet with the ability to lock-in the banjo orientation, a primary OEM feature. The new caliper is available in 28mm, 32mm and 35mm wide versions.

The Gen-II is assembled using dacramet bolts that eliminate hydrogen embrittlement, a potential defect with conventionally plated bolts. They offer better resistance to corrosion and are more environmentally friendly as opposed to heavy metal coatings. In addition, a dry graphite lube is applied for precise high torque setting of the bolts. The cross-over tube features improved resistance to corrosion by 8-10 fold and utilizes insulation to resist vibration.

The redesigned caliper strengthening bridge perfectly integrates with the caliper housing. The bridge virtually eliminates caliper deflection and offers less vibration, noise and pad taper. In a test of 25 leading caliper models, each caliper was subjected to the same pressures and its deflection measured. The results clearly show that the ST-40 Gen-II is the stiffest caliper available. The new bridge also retains the unique air channel designed to help air flow through the retainer and increase cooling.

The refined shape of the new Gen-II caliper has increased clearance to wheel hub and to the wheel spoke. The ST-40 Gen-II can use 11 different piston diameters, enabling more piston combinations than the previous ST-40 or any other brake manufacturer. StopTech uses the different available combinations of piston sizes to best match the target vehicle’s master cylinder for optimum force application and brake modulation. All standard caliper configurations feature differential bores to minimize pad taper. The pistons are hard-anodized aluminum that expand at the same rate as the caliper body and provide resistance to heat transference. Dust boots are standard and the ST-40 uses pressure seals that are designed to retract the pistons insuring no off-brake-disc drag.

The ST40 uses FMSI # 372 which is readily available in race and street frictions. The pads also have provisions for a pad wear sensor available from StopTech.

StopTech LLC, located in Torrance, California, manufactures high performance brake systems and components for production and production-based racecars. The company is the leader in Balanced Brake Systems for production cars and has two patents in basic brake technology and two others pending. StopTech has a worldwide network of resellers.

Old 11-19-03, 07:43 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default ...

Good lookin' out...thanks for sharing the info!

~Seize
Old 11-19-03, 08:10 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice.
Old 11-20-03, 02:58 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interesring claim. I wonder if Brembos and AP higher models of Big Brake Kits were included in this test?

Cool to know that they work on improvements though.
Old 11-20-03, 09:15 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The guys at StopTech are serious about this stuff... I have the new-generation calipers on my GS4, and the performance of their 355mm kit is awesome. Just breathe on the brake pedal and the car stops- under heavy braking the deceleration is so powerful it feels like the ABS should engage- they are that good!

StopTech developed this new process after learning that a certain supplier was having porosity issues in the caliper castings- this porosity would actually allow the brake fluid to leak (this supplier still provides these castings to a competing brand). StopTech pressure-tests every caliper to ensure this will never be an issue.

I like the StopTech staff- they have a similar philosophy to HRE: "Innovate, don't imitate"
Old 11-20-03, 02:35 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

StopTech are probably good brakes but I like Rotora better as a company. Every time I had an interaction with any StopTech representative, I walked off with negative feeling towards the company.
Old 11-21-03, 07:34 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmmmm? That's surprising. I've dealt with those guys on numerous occassion and sent them plenty o' refferals. Always with positive feedback!

I will echo what SoCalSC4 has said above:

It is common knowledge throuout many car forums of guys who are really tracking their cars, preffer StopTech systems. I for one don't "track" my car, BUT..............I have definitely put these brakes to the test on the Tollway and on other occassions though. And they are the TRUTH!

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 11-21-03 at 07:35 AM.
Old 11-21-03, 08:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally posted by SoCalSC4
The guys at StopTech are serious about this stuff... I have the new-generation calipers on my GS4, and the performance of their 355mm kit is awesome. Just breathe on the brake pedal and the car stops- under heavy braking the deceleration is so powerful it feels like the ABS should engage- they are that good!
Hey Bob, as you know I got StopTech big brakes like you recently, so does that mean I most likely have the second gen calipers also? They sure look identical to the pictures posted here.

And I too give a huge to StopTech - they're AWESOME.
Old 11-21-03, 08:28 PM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by bitkahuna
[B]so does that mean I most likely have the second gen calipers also? They sure look identical to the pictures posted here.B]
You you got the second gen Bit. StopTech has been shipping the second gen since June.
Old 11-21-03, 09:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally posted by Neo
You you got the second gen Bit. StopTech has been shipping the second gen since June.
Cool! Thanks for the info. (Phew)

It really is amazing... but then, you know!

Are yours on your car??
Old 11-21-03, 09:58 PM
Neo
The One

Are yours on your car??
Not yet. Soon.
Old 11-21-03, 10:44 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool! Thanks for the info. (Phew)
Double whew! I've been reading this thread and grinding my teeth thinking I should have done a bit more discovery before diving into the purchase.