Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Anyone have those JDM Toyota rims on?

Old 11-03-03, 10:07 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone have those JDM Toyota rims on?

I've been looking for wheels to clear the Supra TT calipers and was wondering if anyone who has this installed can tell me approximately how much room their stock calipers (or even better supra tt) come from hitting the inside of the rim.

I don't think 18x9 should be a problem... but you never know.

Thanks!
Old 11-08-03, 01:44 AM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

anyone?
Old 11-08-03, 10:58 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you talking about this wheel:

and

space:

Lots more space than stock but I cannot guarantee TT clearance. BTW, this is on my buddy's SC400. He was looking into the TT upgrades too but has not commited.
Old 11-08-03, 12:01 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

EXACTLY those wheels! THANKS!
are those the hypersilver or the gunmetal versions of the wheel?
if you had to estimate, what's the minimum clearance (in mm or inches, whatever) from the stock calipers to the wheel? It looks like the calipers are almost touching the spokes in that pic.

I'll try and get measurements on how far out the tt calipers stick out vs stock.
Old 11-08-03, 01:50 PM
Neo
The One

I don't see him much anymore. I used to work with him but we both are not at that company anymore. I may see him next week though so I can try to get some measurements for you.

As for the caliper, they are not that close. There seems to be a good amount of space from the caliper to the back of the rim, at least 1/2" maybe more. It has been awhile though.

Oh, and they are silver.
Old 11-08-03, 06:43 PM
98SC400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would be an extremely tight fit on the Toyota Supra TT calipers. A rule of thumb (or fingers in this case) is that you have to be able to fit three fingers between the stock caliper and the spokes of the rim in order for a Supra TT caliper to fit. I think that three fingers is more than 1/2" (depends on how fat your fingers are.

I have also read that the Toyota Supra TT calipers are 1.5" above the mounting surface of the wheel. This would imply that the spokes of the rim have to be at least this same amount above the mounting surface of the rim.

I happened to have an original 17X8 front Supra TT rim laying around and I measured from the mounting surface to the spokes, and it measured 1.7" . Not a lot of excess space, but this is a 17" rim.

For a given offset, the only way to increase the caliper clearance is to push where the spokes attach more towards the outside edge of the rim. This conflicts with a "big lip" look of the rim. You will notice that most of the rims that clear TT calipers don't have much of a lip. The SSR rims have spokes which arc outwards from the center of the rim outwards, and then bend back into the rim to attach to it. This allows more caliper clearance.

Measure the JDM rims from the mounting surface on the inside of the rim to the spokes. If it is more than 1.5" (hopefully a couple tenths more to allow some clearance) Supra calipers should fit.

Tom
Old 11-08-03, 07:10 PM
Neo
The One

The 1/2" is just a very conservative guess. I actually think there is more. It has been several months since I looked at the wheel. I'll email my buddy to see if he has time to measure the distances: rotor to rim and stock caliper to rim. I'll let you know when he gets back to me.
Old 11-08-03, 07:34 PM
98SC400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I said "mating surface" of the rim, I am talking about the flange which mounts to the hub with lugnuts - just measure from this surface to the spokes and this will give you the measurement you need to determine if the calipers will clear. This measurement should be at least 1.5" (you might be able to measure this with the wheel still on the car - one of your pictures showed both the spoke and the mating surface of the rim.)
Old 11-09-03, 09:50 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

I emailed the ebay guy, he said
"FROM THE MOUNTING SURFACE TO THE BACK OF THE SPOKE IS 2 INCHES"
i'll wait to hear what your measurements are to be 100% sure, if you do see him. hehe, right now it's down to these and the 18x9 superleggeras
Old 11-19-03, 09:03 PM
Neo
The One

Did a rough measurement on his car (as promised). The "ebay guy" is right in terms of the mounting surface to the back of the spoke: 2". Rotor to back of spoke is 3". Stock caliper to the back of the spoke is almost 1.5". These are just for you to get an idea. Because of the shape of the wheel and approximating best position, the measurement may be a little off but not by too much.