The 2009 Lakers Thread - Page 2 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

The Press Box This forum is for CL's sports fanatics! All threads about team and individual sports belong here. No discussion about about sports betting or pools that have a financial component allowed.

The 2009 Lakers Thread

Old 10-23-08, 02:12 AM   #16
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

George Karl would be sad.... lol
XprincoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 09:54 AM   #17
irv_usc
Lead Lap

I think they will still dump Karl. Otherwise he will make 700k this year.
irv_usc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 11:03 AM   #18
link13
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv_usc View Post
I think they will still dump Karl. Otherwise he will make 700k this year.
Geez. I would take $700K. The thing I have in common with Coby Karl is that I'm not good enough to play in the NBA either.
link13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 01:00 PM   #19
AM1
Lexus Champion

i think they still might cut coby karl. hey you know whats funny and i know link13 probably already knows this.....that the laker with the current longest contract is Luke walton! do you guys think the lakers will pay bynum the max contract:? is he worth it?
AM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 01:34 PM   #20
link13
Lexus Champion

Yeah, I know Luke's contract is the longest. I still don't know why Kupchak did that, but he is partly excused for unloading Brian Cook and Kwame Brown and bringing in Ariza and Pau Gasol. I think Bynum will get the max, but not by October 31. He is worth it if other teams are willing to give it to him. I would be surprised if there weren't a few other GMs out there who would pay him the max. I just hope he stays healthy. The swelling in his knee a week ago is not a good sign.
Old 10-23-08, 05:32 PM   #21
irv_usc
Lead Lap

i think the lakers will dangle a lower number and just wait. bynum doesn't take it he'll just have to wait until next summer while risking injury.

judging by the amount that big time stiffs get paid for being 7 feet tall, i wouldn't doubt that bynum could get really close to the max. i'm talking about guys like eddy curry, jerome james, hell even shawn bradley, remember him?
Old 10-23-08, 11:11 PM   #22
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

from what they were saying on tnt tonite they kept coby around cuz they're not sure how sasha will feel or how long it will take him to come back...
XprincoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-08, 10:53 AM   #23
link13
Lexus Champion

Bynum is not a stiff. He pulled down 10 rebounds and blocked 3 shots last night in just under 22 minutes. He did not score much. They didn't really look for him. He has some nice moves in the post and he challenges everything on the defensive end. His 3 blocks last night did not reflect the number of shots he challenged an altered. He is not in the company of Dwight Howard, but he also doesn't belong among the stiffs that irv_usc listed.
Old 10-24-08, 10:32 PM   #24
AM1
Lexus Champion

i agree bynum will be a monster once things get rolling. im not sure i would even consider bynum against dwight howard, since dwight is more like an athletic PF with a body like a big. bynum is the classic big, mobile, back to the basket kind of center, that rare true center. the lakers would actually be better off with bynum then howard, since they dont need bynum to be athletic, they need him to be the plug in the center.
Old 10-27-08, 10:59 AM   #25
irv_usc
Lead Lap

i'm not saying he is a stiff. i'm saying if THOSE stiffs can get 10-14 million a year, bynum will certainly get it. if not from the lakers, from someone else (not that anyone is making any real restricted contract offers anymore).
Old 10-27-08, 11:12 AM   #26
link13
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv_usc View Post
i'm not saying he is a stiff. i'm saying if THOSE stiffs can get 10-14 million a year, bynum will certainly get it. if not from the lakers, from someone else (not that anyone is making any real restricted contract offers anymore).
Ok, I misunderstood what you were saying originally and agree with what you're saying here.
Old 10-27-08, 02:52 PM   #27
irv_usc
Lead Lap

the lakers cut coby karl today! he had some heart, coming back from cancer twice, but i don't think he is an nba player.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,5702755.story
Old 10-27-08, 03:25 PM   #28
AM1
Lexus Champion

coby karl im sure can find his place on another team, just not on a nba championship caliber team, the lakers need all players to produce. i hope they cut mbenga and pick up someone else, im still not convinced that mbenga will be of use.
Old 10-27-08, 04:41 PM   #29
link13
Lexus Champion

I am glad they cut Coby Karl. I saw him play in the summer pro league in Vegas in summer of '07 and he was clearly not an NBA caliber player then. He got balled up so badly by Ronald Stuckey that it was actually funny to watch. He also could not even get a shot off against the legit NBA guys on Detroit's summer league roster. He has not improved much, if at all, since then. At any rate, he is just not good enough to play in the NBA.

I don't think they'll cut Mbenga. In fact, I think he has a partially guaranteed deal.
Old 10-28-08, 01:09 AM   #30
AM1
Lexus Champion

the season starts today. i dont think they will cut mbenga either. the lakers are really thin at PG though, i think they have enough big bodies.