Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > General Forums > The Clubhouse
USPS postage-stamps face substantial increase. >

USPS postage-stamps face substantial increase.

The Clubhouse The Clubhouse is an area where we can post topics on all kinds of things that are not necessarily related to 'Lexus'.

USPS postage-stamps face substantial increase.

Old 01-06-19, 04:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Recieved 66 Likes on 66 Posts
Default USPS postage-stamps face substantial increase.

For those of you who still use traditional mail for things (I still do for some things, but do others on-line), a five-cent increase on a typical first-class stamps will take place on January 27 of this year. I recommend the "Forever" stamps (like I use), that, once you buy them, are good, well.....forever. They are exempt from any price increase.

This five-cent increase on January 27 may not sound like much, but it is the largest single increase I can ever remember.

Here is the list of all the upcoming price changes. One of them, though, is actually dropping.....the additional charge for additional ounces on a standard letter.

https://about.usps.com/news/national...8/pr18_086.htm

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-06-19 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-06-19, 06:31 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Recieved 103 Likes on 94 Posts

The Forever stamps are good buys when these increases come up. I've cut back drastically what goes through the USPS service in terms of letters. Probably less than 20 letter mailings a year. Usually at Christmas I'll send out cards, this year's timing for me was not going to meet that so I sent what I had in emails. (Tacky but otherwise our usual list would get nothing.) I still have a few New Year cards to write out.

Been using up these old ones...

Old 01-06-19, 07:10 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Recieved 166 Likes on 130 Posts

can't even remember the last time I bought a stamp or used a stamp.

hell I can't even recall the last time I went to a post office, and aside from flyers and junk mail, I go weeks without receiving any mail in my mailbox at home.
Old 01-07-19, 05:01 AM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Recieved 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Time to reduce the number of mail deliveries per week for junk and political mail to once or twice and keep jacking up the rates. Using an army to transport dead trees makes no sense at all any longer.
Old 01-07-19, 05:07 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Recieved 48 Likes on 39 Posts

I have some forever stamps I purchased 2 years ago I think barely used half and most of that were Christmas cards that I mailed. I do use post office flat rate boxes when shipping some car stuff. I'm seeing USPS out more and more on Sundays looks like Amazon is keeping them busy in that regard.
Old 01-07-19, 07:54 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Recieved 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Usps needs to get out of the package industry and redesign themselves as places to pay bills and send e-payments to utilities and such. Otherwise it's gane over if they don't restructure
Old 01-07-19, 09:26 PM
RXSF

Recieved 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This will probably impact households very little as people generally use some kind of online bill pay. However, businesses (like mine) still use the old letter mailing system for paying bills to vendors, with old school checks still being printed. We probably send out a good 50 letters per month. There is no such thing as direct deposit or online bill pay when it comes to paying whole sale vendors.
Old 01-09-19, 10:36 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

I have a few suppliers on the check system via USPS too. For the household stuffs, I'm pretty pleased to not have too make those USPS runs. That's saved some $ not having envelops, stamps and gas involved.
Old 01-09-19, 03:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
Time to reduce the number of mail deliveries per week for junk and political mail to once or twice and keep jacking up the rates. Using an army to transport dead trees makes no sense at all any longer.

I totally agree, but all that annoying junk-mail is usually sent at discount bulk-rates, not the regular 50-55-cent stamps I was refering to.
Old 01-09-19, 11:24 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Had a package drop today and did some comparisons: UPS shipping to MD was $26.XX. That same package through USPS was $17.XX.
Old 01-10-19, 01:02 PM
bagwell
Lexus Fanatic

Recieved 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40 View Post
Had a package drop today and did some comparisons: UPS shipping to MD was $26.XX. That same package through USPS was $17.XX.
because USPS is mismanaged and ships stuff way out of line vs others.

During the 2018 fiscal year, the Postal Service recorded a net loss of $3.9 billion, which is an increase of more than $1 billion over the losses it suffered in 2017.
Old 01-10-19, 02:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell View Post
because USPS is mismanaged and ships stuff way out of line vs others.

More likely because USPS personnel have such good salaries and retirement benefits. It's one of the best employment packages (no pun intended) in the country....especially for work without a college degree. USPS probably could not afford to charge what Fed-Ex or UPS does.
Old 01-10-19, 08:52 PM
RXSF

Recieved 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^ Agree. The main downfall of USPS, like other bloated government institutions, is the Union....
Old 01-11-19, 06:45 AM
bagwell
Lexus Fanatic

Recieved 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall View Post
More likely because USPS personnel have such good salaries and retirement benefits. It's one of the best employment packages (no pun intended) in the country....especially for work without a college degree. USPS probably could not afford to charge what Fed-Ex or UPS does.
I wouldn't say good salaries and retirement benefits, I would say stupid crazy non-sustainable salaries and retirement benefits.

Old 01-11-19, 10:57 AM
PaulM73
Driver School Candidate

Recieved 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally would like to see the USPS disbanded in it's entirety. It's methods are outdated and the quality of service that they provide has been circling the drain over the past few years. I avoid using them at all costs when shipping stuff, and with most of my bills being paid electronically, the only regular mail that I receive is junk mail. The service has outlived it's need.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: