Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > General Forums > The Clubhouse
USPS postage-stamps face substantial increase. >

USPS postage-stamps face substantial increase.

The Clubhouse The Clubhouse is an area where we can post topics on all kinds of things that are not necessarily related to 'Lexus'.

USPS postage-stamps face substantial increase.

Old 01-11-19, 12:40 PM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Recieved 64 Likes on 55 Posts

i was just in britain and was shocked to hear from locals that all first class mail is delivered in ONE DAY anywhere in britain. now before you say well britain's not very big, and sure it's the size of florida, but if i mail a letter from where i am to orlando 90 miles away, it takes about 3-4 days! if i mail something to california, over a week! it's DISGRACEFUL.
Old 01-11-19, 02:38 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Recieved 103 Likes on 94 Posts

The package sent USPS sat at the Post Office the whole day before moving this morning through the system. Usually it is picked up by 4 and shows at a distribution center in Long Beach or LA that evening.

Japan has a similar service for packages. I'd shipped from the southern part of Kyushu to the central areas of Honshu-Osaka and Nagoya, in about 5 hours. Was a basic rate •800 or •1200 that went out through the courier service called Yamato Transport/Black Cat. Shipped alcohol too, cant do that legally stateside without the PITA of going through an authorized alcohol shipper.

USPS can use some streamlining for sure.
Old 01-12-19, 12:38 PM
link13
Lexus Champion

Recieved 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
Time to reduce the number of mail deliveries per week for junk and political mail to once or twice and keep jacking up the rates. Using an army to transport dead trees makes no sense at all any longer.
Agreed 100% here. Tuesday is junk mail day. I have a mail slot in the door, so all of the junk gets shoved through it and is all over the floor when I get home. Unread, it all gets balled up and stuffed in the recycling bin. Seinfeld nailed it two decades ago.

Old 01-15-19, 10:22 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Recieved 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
i was just in britain and was shocked to hear from locals that all first class mail is delivered in ONE DAY anywhere in britain. now before you say well britain's not very big, and sure it's the size of florida, but if i mail a letter from where i am to orlando 90 miles away, it takes about 3-4 days! if i mail something to california, over a week! it's DISGRACEFUL.
Old 01-16-19, 03:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Recieved 66 Likes on 66 Posts

Truth on both sides. It is true that Britain has an efficient mail-system (along with several other efficient systems), but they don't have to move many hundreds of millions of pieces of mail for distances of up to 5000 miles, either.

From what I've seen, most of the snail-mail, outside of holiday-packages, monthly-bills and tax-returns, is junk and promotion-ads. If we could stop most of that stuff, the rest (and important) parts of the mail would probably move far more quickly.
Old 01-16-19, 07:05 PM
nitroracer
Driver

Recieved 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PaulM73 View Post
I personally would like to see the USPS disbanded in it's entirety. It's methods are outdated and the quality of service that they provide has been circling the drain over the past few years. I avoid using them at all costs when shipping stuff, and with most of my bills being paid electronically, the only regular mail that I receive is junk mail. The service has outlived it's need.
USPS is unprofitable and to make matters worse, it's abused by the likes of Amazon.

It needs to go. Or else Bezos can fund it.
Old 01-23-19, 09:58 AM
Eckotyper
Rookie

Recieved 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd recommend forever stamps too when you can, its nice to know that stamp is always the current value of one stamp. I know some only buy stamps when needed though.
Old 01-23-19, 03:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Recieved 66 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by nitroracer View Post
USPS is unprofitable and to make matters worse, it's abused by the likes of Amazon.

Bezos doesn't need to fund it. He's got millions addicted to his mail-order-service....they use it day and night.
Old 01-24-19, 12:37 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Recieved 34 Likes on 31 Posts

fiscally speaking this is why forever stamps was a bad idea
Old 01-26-19, 10:08 AM
z17112
Driver School Candidate

Recieved 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks I just ordered a roll.
Old 01-27-19, 10:40 AM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Recieved 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by nitroracer View Post

fail on every part of this.

usps is not allowed by law to make a profit.
how is it Ďabusedí by amazon?
millions, mostly elderly, still depend on usps, so ending it would be a big problem, but i do agree serious reform is needed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: