Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > General Forums > The Clubhouse
Think Cops don't drink and drive? Think Again. >

Think Cops don't drink and drive? Think Again.

The Clubhouse The Clubhouse is an area where we can post topics on all kinds of things that are not necessarily related to 'Lexus'.

Think Cops don't drink and drive? Think Again.

Old 12-28-18, 06:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Recieved 66 Likes on 66 Posts
Thumbs down Think Cops don't drink and drive? Think Again.

I have a lot of respect for most cops, but, just like there are a few bad apples in the barrel that shoot innocent people, or mistreat people they arrest, there are some that also flout their own DUI/DWI laws. Here's a situation where a Cleveland Police Officer, with a prior DWI conviction, gets pulled over, on I-71, by Ohio State Troopers. This guy is so drunk he slurs his speech, urinates on himself, can't remember where he is, and refuses field-sobriety tests. The result, of course, is obvious....the Troopers put him in handcuffs.

It's also particularly scary when you think that this intoxicated officer, in his own car, was driving around with a loaded weapon, ready to go. That, of course, was one of the first things that the Troopers had to deal with....he surrendered the gun peacefully.

This is not an isolated case, either. Though the percentage of officers who drink and drive is probably quite low compared to the total, YouTube still has a number of recorded videos of their arrests.

One of the most shocking, IMO (there's no video for it, but it was on the local news....I remember the case), was when the Police Chief of Alexandria, VA, a D.C. suburb near where I live, was arrested by police in another adjoining jurisdiction (Arlington, VA), also near where I live. The Chief, who submitted to tests, showed a BAC of .019, more than twice the legal limit. Virginia, unlike most states, does not have separate DUI/DWI categories......anything over .08 is classed as a DUI and treated the same. In this case, the Chief was also involved in a traffic accident.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...on-dui-charge/

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-28-18 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-28-18, 06:52 PM
tecman
Lexus Champion

Recieved 323 Likes on 253 Posts

Video is over 1 year old. Point made, don’t drink and drive no matter who you are...Done...
Old 12-28-18, 07:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tecman View Post
Video is over 1 year old. Point made, don’t drink and drive no matter who you are...Done...

Well, if you want to look at (or post) another similiar video, YouTube has plenty to choose from.....some of them newer, some older. Most cops, though, are still honest and obey the laws. I agree, however, that gasoline and alcohol doesn't mix, no matter who you are.
Old 12-29-18, 05:42 AM
geko29
Oil Burner

Recieved 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Do I think cops don't drink and drive? No, I never thought that.
Old 12-29-18, 06:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29 View Post
Do I think cops don't drink and drive? No, I never thought that.
Leave your tooth under the pillow, then, and you'll have some cash the next morning.

Old 12-29-18, 07:14 AM
geko29
Oil Burner

Recieved 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall View Post
Leave your tooth under the pillow, then, and you'll have some cash the next morning.
That makes no sense. The thread title suggests you're disabusing us of na´vetÚ. I was pointing out that many of us never would have believed such a silly thing in the first place.

Last edited by geko29; 12-29-18 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-29-18, 11:38 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc┤i`ty

Recieved 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I love the mentality that cops are held in. Like when they were born the doctor did this Lion King scene, thrusting the baby into the air ♪♫♬ "Naaaaants ingonyama bagithi babaaaaa Policeyaahhh"♪♪♬ Like some "chosen one." BS
Police most of the time are average people who fill out an application just like the guy working the fryers at McDonald's.
Pretty much, be 21 or older. Have no criminal record, (Felonies, Restraining orders, some misdemeanors) HS diploma or Good Enough Diploma. Be some what physically fit. That's for the average size town local flat foot.
Bigger Higher paying departments are more thorough with background checks and require Criminal Justice based 4 year College degrees. So pretty much most of society can/could be a cop.

So drinking and driving... Sure, why not. Rape? Seen that already. Cop was crying like a girl upon sentencing. Dealing drugs. Three taken out for that in the town I work in.
Cops are people doing a job. If you or they think they are beyond that of a normal person. I don't know what to tell you.
Old 12-29-18, 12:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by neurocity View Post
I love the mentality that cops are held in. Like when they were born the doctor did this Lion King scene, thrusting the baby into the air ♪♫♬ "Naaaaants ingonyama bagithi babaaaaa Policeyaahhh"♪♪♬ Like some "chosen one." BS
Police most of the time are average people who fill out an application just like the guy working the fryers at McDonald's.
Pretty much, be 21 or older. Have no criminal record, (Felonies, Restraining orders, some misdemeanors) HS diploma or Good Enough Diploma. Be some what physically fit. That's for the average size town local flat foot.
Bigger Higher paying departments are more thorough with background checks and require Criminal Justice based 4 year College degrees. So pretty much most of society can/could be a cop.

So drinking and driving... Sure, why not. Rape? Seen that already. Cop was crying like a girl upon sentencing. Dealing drugs. Three taken out for that in the town I work in.
Cops are people doing a job. If you or they think they are beyond that of a normal person. I don't know what to tell you.

I think part of it is that some of them (a minority, for sure), just don't realize the seriousness of their jobs....and that of the oaths they take. They take the job either because they are on an ego or power-trip and like the idea of having a badge and gun, or simply because they like the job-security and retirement benefits. Again, that's not the majority, but a self-centered minority who look upon the job as being all about THEM, and not public service or enforcing the law.
Old 12-29-18, 03:28 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc┤i`ty

Recieved 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They were not chosen or forced down their path... They chose.
Old 12-29-18, 03:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by neurocity View Post
They were not chosen or forced down their path... They chose.

Absolutely. The question, though, is why they chose. Some obviously chose for the wrong reasons....ego, power, status, etc......
Old 12-30-18, 08:58 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Recieved 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sad as it is, we still have to recruit our peace officers, like our doctors and political and even religious leaders from the human race. They may be "called" to service, but each and every one comes with the same frailties as you and I. We hold so many people in high regard, but we have to expect failure of some - but not all - of those we depend on. Can we screen these people out before they are installed into their unique positions of trust in our society? Although we expect perfection, experience says no - we have to accept the fact that even those we entrust with our lives are as fallible as we are. There are no Supermen.
Old 12-30-18, 12:17 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Recieved 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Super stressful career path they choose. The daily variety of dealing with people and among times when the public view is harsh too. Being able to wind down and start back up takes a toll. The bottle is an regular sight among those I know in the field. Self limitation is a factor for all that partake of these types of beverages.
Old 12-30-18, 03:17 PM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Recieved 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X View Post
Sad as it is, we still have to recruit our peace officers, like our doctors and political and even religious leaders from the human race.
For now...

Old 12-30-18, 07:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lil4X View Post
Sad as it is, we still have to recruit our police officers from the human race.
Not quite all of them.

Old 01-01-19, 11:56 AM
Benoit
Pole Position

Recieved 21 Likes on 15 Posts

The reason this thread was started is puzzling me.
If you know that some cops drink but not all... why open a thread about it ? Isn't it what we call "normal" ? or "life" ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: