Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays...But take it easy. - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > General Forums > The Clubhouse
Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays...But take it easy. >

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays...But take it easy.

Notices
The Clubhouse The Clubhouse is an area where we can post topics on all kinds of things that are not necessarily related to 'Lexus'.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays...But take it easy.

Old 12-24-18, 03:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Smile Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays...But take it easy.

Once again, we celebrate Christmas, Hannukah, the New Year, and/or other Holiday Events. And, once again, as many of you will be at (or having) nice dinners, parties, and drinking, PLEASE take it easy on the (bottled) spirits, and remember that, over a small BAC level, alcohol and gasoline don't safely mix. I myself am a teetotaler (always have been)...but I clearly recognize that many other people aren't....and that is their right, as long as they do it legally, safely, and of age. There are some exceptions here and there, but most states have a BAC limit of around .010-.015 ppm for a DWI and about half of that for a less-serious DUI.

And if you DO over-imbibe, please, as much as possible, try to avoid driving behind the wheel. Depending on where you are, the available facilities, and who is still sober enough to drive (like I was, as a Designated Driver), take an alternate form of transportation home, or if your guest will allow it, simply stay there for the night and drive home the next day. Many public-transit systems have special holiday hours on nights when many persons typically drink, and cities and counties sometimes have special ride-home programs with cab-drivers, Uber-drivers, or other organized ride-share programs. It might be temporarily inconvenient or cost a little, but it sure beats an accident or other tragedy on the way home, which could affect you or someone else for the rest of your life. In addition to that, police often set up road-blocks and sobriety check-points, where they stop everyone to check for any signs of DWI/DUI (courts have ruled that, most cases, this is legal), so you might avoid a police record as well.

So, have a great time, enjoy the holidays, but please enjoy them safely.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-27-18 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-24-18, 10:36 PM
tecman
Lexus Champion

Our family dose Christmas on Christmas Eve. My brother used Lyft and I used Uber for this family gathering.

I asked my brother why he prefers Lyft over Uber (he uses Lyft a lot for business and he is a global traveler) he said they seem to have a better attitude as they are paid better.

Hope my fellow CL members have a great holiday!
Old 12-24-18, 11:06 PM
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic

I donít drink very much when I do drive, but one or two drink is the limit if I were to drive. Tonight I had two drinks before dinner and then it was about 4 hours until I drove. In Canada, we have very strict drinking and driving laws, itís .08 as the legal limit and police do not legally have to have a reason to ask you to blow in a breathalyzer (which is a criminal offence if you decline). So if you get stopped for an expired licence plate, you can be asked to blow into a breathalyzer without cause.
Old 12-25-18, 04:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tecman View Post
Our family dose Christmas on Christmas Eve. My brother used Lyft and I used Uber for this family gathering.

I asked my brother why he prefers Lyft over Uber (he uses Lyft a lot for business and he is a global traveler) he said they seem to have a better attitude as they are paid better.

Same to you.....and thanks for doing your part for safety.

There have been a few reported cases, here and there, of Uber drivers themselves turning out to be shady (or even criminal), but those are generally quite few and far between. Besides, overall, it's usually a lot safer bet than trying to drive home drunk.
Old 12-26-18, 07:54 AM
BrettJacks
Lexus Fanatic

Hope everybody had a happy and safe Christmas holiday.

I took Scarlett into the snow for the first time since I bought her 1.5 years ago.

Old 12-26-18, 07:56 AM
BrettJacks
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tecman View Post

My roommate actually drives for both, so you might get an Uber driver regardless
Old 12-26-18, 08:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks View Post
Hope everybody had a happy and safe Christmas holiday.

I took Scarlett into the snow for the first time since I bought her 1.5 years ago.
...............is that the nickame for your truck?
Old 12-27-18, 08:09 AM
BrettJacks
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall View Post
...............is that the nickame for your truck?
Indeed it is. My coworkers named it.
Old 12-27-18, 09:03 AM
geko29
Oil Burner

Didn't leave the house at all between 3pm on Christmas eve and yesterday morning. For NYE, we're staying downtown, where it's too expensive to take the car out of the parking garage even if we're stone sober, so will be walking, cabbing or taking the El.

Edit: turns out we're going to a piano bar that is a short 8-minute stumble from where we're staying. It's all good

Last edited by geko29; 12-28-18 at 06:57 AM.
Old 12-27-18, 01:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

BTW, many states have a separate category for DWI and DUI offenses (DWI is usually a higher concentration of BAC, and is considered a more serious offense). My state, Virginia, does not....in fact, DWI, per se, is not even listed in the State Driving Manual. Anything .08 BAC or above is listed as a DUI offense, period, and, for points and fines/penalties, the state does not have a separate, more serious DWI statute. Legally, you're either under the influence or you aren't.
Old 12-28-18, 03:10 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Of the mindset that being at home is much more enjoyable that celebrating by driving to and from X place among the masses. May be a bit slow though my odds of waking up intact are better. An acquaintance relayed after his encounter dealing with the aftermath, it costs ~$15K to deal with the mess of substance intoxication.
Old 12-28-18, 07:35 PM
tecman
Lexus Champion

Breathalyzer results are questionable and my understanding is citric acid from meals or drinks can interfere with results, Refusal to take a field test will put you in jail. I bought 2 highly recommended breathalyzers and have tested both with poor comparison results. One bought on Amazon and one from Ebay, both made by the same company.
Amazon Amazon

This is a bit extreme...

SALT LAKE CITY — When Utah Highway Patrol troopers start their shift on Saturday, the legal limit for alcohol intoxication will be .08. When they finish their shift after midnight on Sunday, it will be .05.

Utah will enact the nation’s toughest anti-drunk driving law by lowering the BAC to .05. It’s a move that lawmakers have insisted will save lives, but hospitality and tourism groups fear will scare people away from visiting Utah by reinforcing our “peculiar” liquor laws.

To help mitigate the impact of the law, tourism groups like Visit Salt Lake and the Utah Restaurant Association have launched campaigns urging people to “enjoy Utah responsibly” and educate them on the new law. Rideshare service Lyft is offering a discount code so people can go out and drink and not fear a DUI.
https://fox13now.com/2018/12/28/utah...-this-weekend/
Old 12-30-18, 10:20 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

It's sad to say, but within the next 72 hours, we can expect to see some 150 people die in highway accidents, almost all of which are entirely preventable.

AAA estimates that during this Christmas and New Year's season, nearly 95 million Americans will hit the road, traveling long distances to visit friends and family. Unfortunately, during the end-of-year holiday travel period, nearly 27,900 Americans will be seriously injured in auto accidents, and more than 250 will die.
-USA Today
While many of these expected fatalities can be attributed to weather or carelessness, the majority will involve alcohol. Statistically, the Christmas holiday, although scoring heavily in highway deaths, is actually no more dangerous than any other 24-hour period in the weeks before or after. It would seem odd that the New Year's holiday scores so much higher, except that our culture almost demands that the occasion of the turning of the year be celebrated with alcohol, often in copious amounts.

It then falls to a matter of responsibility for each of us to limit our consumption of celebratory drinks to one or two - and no more if you will be driving during the holidays. Black coffee isn't a cure for drunkenness, all you get is a wide-awake drunk . . . it doesn't improve your decision-making or motor skills. Better to celebrate at home or somewhere like a hotel where you only have to survive the trip from the bar to the elevator.

For the rest of us who will be driving over the holiday, be aware that about half of the cars coming toward you on the road between 10pm and 6am will be driven by a drunk. Scary? Yeah, it keeps me at home on NYE.
Old 12-30-18, 04:06 PM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Anyone who drinks (or is otherwise knowingly impaired) and drives is making a life threatening decision for themselves, their passengers, and others. Having a designated driver, using public transport, or uber/lyft/etc. isn’t hard...
Old 12-31-18, 12:53 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

That is also a reminder of how poor the decision process is among the many that still make that decision to drive. We live 1/2 mile from the fire dept and hearing how many sirens that have been going down the street since before Christmas is sad.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: