Hope J.C. Penney Isn't Next - Page 4 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > General Forums > The Clubhouse
Hope J.C. Penney Isn't Next >

Hope J.C. Penney Isn't Next

Notices
The Clubhouse The Clubhouse is an area where we can post topics on all kinds of things that are not necessarily related to 'Lexus'.

Hope J.C. Penney Isn't Next

Old 12-23-18, 10:32 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

I liked JCPenny. Used to have a great toy selection and was a great place to go around Christmas in the 80's when they decorated the place. I got some nice shirts at JC Penny when I was in college, got one I loved that I still occasionally wear, wish I would have bought more of that style in different colors because I love the way it fits, quality is as good as clothes I have bought from higher end stores. I don't shop at JC Penny much anymore, they tore down the local JCPenny and older local mall last year which is a shame because I would have liked to have gone there this Christmas to do some shopping, I don't like when choices/stores go away even if it is places I don't often go to because every once in a while I do go to those stores and find exactly what I want.

I get most of my clothes now from Dillards, Macy's when I can find one, Belk, Parisian, Steinmart, and sometimes Kohls. I am pretty picky about clothes, I don't care what brand name it is but do generally like the styles of a few names, don't really care about the store, or the trends everyone else likes/are wearing(hate skinny jeans), just what I think looks good on me. I don't pay high prices on clothes anymore, if it is too expensive I just wait a few weeks or months until it goes on clearance, I have bought so many $70-$130 shirts for $20-$25 and $30-$50 shirts for under $20 by just waiting for them to go on clearance, even at the more expensive stores. Last week I went Christmas shopping and saw a button up shirt I liked, it was a Armani Exchange and was going to get it but remembered to look at the price to make sure it was not too ridiculous, it was $125 and I put it right back, I liked it but it did not look any better then a $30 button up, if I really want it I will just wait for it to get around $20 or $25 on clearance, why waste all that money just to have it now. When I was in college and was looking around at the mall and liked a shirt, I did not look at the price and just brought it up to the counter thinking at most it would be $40 or $50, I was shocked when it rang up to $120, I just had to say that is too much and said I did not want it, now I make sure to look at the price before I even check for my size, I saw it for $29 a few months later and got it, still have it but I barely wear it. The one clothing item I do spend more money on is leather jackets, I love soft leather jackets, I have a few, I just found one I love that is way too expensive $695 but I will see what the New Years day sale price is at Dillards and see if I can get it for around or under $200 as they offer big sales New Years Day. I got 3 nice leather jackets that way that were originally priced in the $500-$650 range but got them for $90-$150.
Old 12-23-18, 05:11 PM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill View Post
I would never ever pay full price for clothing for myself, if possible which I think is always. I pity the fool who pays full prices.
Almost all clothing is shown as on sales or discounted to make consumers think they’re getting a good deal. That $80 shirt discount 50% to $40 cost $3 to make in Bangladesh. Clothing, like bedding, furniture, makeup and many other things, are gigantic rackets.
Old 12-23-18, 06:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post

Almost all clothing is shown as on sales or discounted to make consumers think they’re getting a good deal. That $80 shirt discount 50% to $40 cost $3 to make in Bangladesh. Clothing, like bedding, furniture, makeup and many other things, are gigantic rackets.

Perhaps so, but Penny's, wholesale, isn't going to pay just $3 for that shirt. You can bet that the owners of that textile plant in Asia aren't going to sell it to retailers for what it costs to make. In fact, that may be one reason why Penney's future is in doubt....maybe they aren't making much profit on the things they sell. Wal-mart and Target, without doubt, are enormous competition, and those two stores alone put a lot of pressure on everybody else to keep their own prices down, though they are still among the two cheapest places.
Old 12-23-18, 09:03 PM
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post

That's not my problem that it costs $3 to make somewhere else.

Old 12-23-18, 09:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Exactly. "Full price" vs "discounted" is all relative. Clothing in stores like JC Penney, Kohls, WalMart, Target etc are low quality, Chinese made, etc. They cost next to nothing to produce. Higher end clothing has a huge markup too, its just the nature of the product.

I'll take advantage for instance of Nordstrom's half yearly sale to stock up on things, especially big items like suits, shoes, slacks, etc. If I need or want something though, I just go in and pay full price. The discount just isn't worth the hassle of waiting around for the timing to be right in my opinion.

And, quite frankly...I don't buy clothes often at all. Good quality clothes well cared for, I have clothing I've had for 10, 15 years I still wear. Timeless stuff that never goes out of style. I buy quality shoes that I have resoled vs buying new shoes, etc.

If I spend $500 on clothes in a year that's a lot for me.
Old 12-24-18, 12:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS View Post
Exactly. "Full price" vs "discounted" is all relative. Clothing in stores like JC Penney, Kohls, WalMart, Target etc are low quality, Chinese made, etc. They cost next to nothing to produce. Higher end clothing has a huge markup too, its just the nature of the product.
With one exception, I haven't had many early-wear-problems with the stuff from Walmart's or Penney's. The only thing I buy there that regularly wears out are the fabric/rubber pull-on sneakers from Walmart that are only $7.99....yes, they are junk, durability-wise. But they are comfortable, easy to put on and off (no strings or tying), easy to clean, don't hurt or pinch my toes, don't give me blisters, versatile, and are pretty much the answer to my everyday needs except for church, social events, etc.... If I have to buy three or four pair of them a year, so what? That's chump-change. But the rest of the stuff I buy there lasts a reasonable amount of time.....better, I might add, than the stuff I've tried from Nordstrom.

If I spend $500 on clothes in a year that's a lot for me.
Is that just for you or both you and the family? Typical for me is $150-200...but I'm single.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-24-18 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-24-18, 01:40 PM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Everyone’s made their points. Thank you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: