Hope J.C. Penney Isn't Next - Page 3 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > General Forums > The Clubhouse
Hope J.C. Penney Isn't Next >

Hope J.C. Penney Isn't Next

The Clubhouse The Clubhouse is an area where we can post topics on all kinds of things that are not necessarily related to 'Lexus'.

Hope J.C. Penney Isn't Next

Old 12-20-18, 03:37 AM
geko29
Oil Burner

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill View Post
Its not a hassle to order to order or return via online. Its pretty simple. How would it be difficult getting your money back to your credit card? Makes no sense
Simple answer: it's not, just happens automatically like magic. Hell I now get refunds from Amazon less than 10 minutes after I decide to return something, because they now accept returns at Kohl's, and there's one a half-mile from my house. The moment it's checked in, I get a refund confirmation email and a pending reversal shows up on my credit card account, which usually clears the next day.

Items ordered online from a B&M retailer can almost always be returned to a store for an immediate refund, and almost all online-only companies I've dealt with have very easy return policies. They have to, it's table stakes in today's market.
Old 12-20-18, 01:02 PM
jrmckinley
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall View Post
J.C. Penney does offer on-line service. I'm just not a fan of that type of transaction, though, for a number of reasons. For clothing, especially, on-line ordering will not tell you beforehand if shirts, pants, coats, shoes, sweaters, etc..... will properly fit you or not. Even with a money-back guarantee (which some stores offer), IMO it's still a hassle, waste of time, etc.....not only returning merchandise through the shipping-company but also getting that money from your credit-card refunded back into your account. And, then, if you have to deal with the bank (or whoever issued the credit-card) to dispute a transaction on the return, it's even more of a hassle.

https://www.jcpenney.com/m/online-of...19-HP-88GOSHOP
If you know the brands you like, chances are you know your size. Just order those online, have them delivered to you. Anything you don't like, you can take back in store (not ideal) or send back via UPS, USPS, or FedEx. Never an issue getting the refund on your credit card. They've made it way too easy! Seems like you may have tried a long time ago, had a weird experience, and given up. I'd try again.
Old 12-20-18, 06:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

JC Penney is a crappy store. Will be gone the way of Sears for sure. Macys is another one that has gone way downhill the past 5 years or so.

Department stores, I shop at Nordstrom, Saks Fifth Avenue, to a lesser extent Bloomingdales. I do a fair amount of shopping online too. I tend to buy clothes that are variations on a theme, so I know the line and sizing of different brands. For instance, I wear Tommy Bahama polos and shorts in the summer. I can just order them online sight unseen and know what I'm getting. I wear Ralph Lauren, Faconnable, Thomas Pink button down shirts and such for work, I can order them online and know what I'm getting. I can order a bunch of stuff and send back what I want. Thats way less time consuming than going to a mall.

There is zero issue with returns, its almost 2019, credit card refunds are quick and easy.
Old 12-20-18, 08:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS View Post
JC Penney is a crappy store. Will be gone the way of Sears for sure. Macys is another one that has gone way downhill the past 5 years or so.

Department stores, I shop at Nordstrom, Saks Fifth Avenue, to a lesser extent Bloomingdales.
I have the same opinion of Nordstrom that you do of Penney's. Had bad experiences there, and haven't missed it one bit.
Old 12-21-18, 12:02 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Among the stores they can be hit miss scenarios. The constant staff turn overs doesn't make for confidence for returning customers. The economics and treatment of employees is on a downhill slide as a whole in business. Mo-in-law used to work for Federated group that comprised of Bullocks, Macys, Bloomingdales, etc. The employee benefits became less and less and management level positions were squeezed by the higher ups for higher sales, longer hours, less benefits. (They like part time because they can squeeze out what little benefits there are.) By then the caring staff is shafted so they aren't working with the company in mind but to survive with what little pay they can get away with. That includes the crappy treatment by the demanding customers who feel entitled because they spend their money there.

We ceased shopping at Macy's due to the lack of good sales support. Was like going into a home improvement center where there is no staff to check inventory or assist for questions. Asking them how a particular fabric should be cared for and regarding shrinkage...they don't know. They read the label and blah-blah. When posed the questions at Nordstroms, the sales guy relayed that the shirt would shrink and to buy for a certain fitment, same for several brands of pants. He was spot on. He'd worked with the company for 8 years and was familiar with the products.

For any of these old stores to survive the people employed and customers are priorities. Not just what the end of month year end bottom line is. That's unlikely to happen as a global market pushes cheaper, higher profit while starving their employees to obtain that. Survival will depend on adaptation. Can they do that?
Old 12-21-18, 02:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall View Post
I have the same opinion of Nordstrom that you do of Penney's. Had bad experiences there, and haven't missed it one bit.
I think your negative experiences at Nordstrom are because its just not a store or an experience that is suited to you. Its a high end store, and their products are stylish and expensive...and thats not your thing. Nordstrom is most certainly not a crappy store, nor are the products sold there crappy. Even the Nordstrom branded products (the cheap products) are very good quality. I have a Nordstrom brand suit that was like $450 that is easily the equal in quality to suits I have that were $800-900. Also bought at Nordstrom but not Nordstrom brand. You also mentioned Nordstrom Rack, which is where they sell overstock, seconds (products that have a flaw or something where they wouldnt sell them in their stores). Nordstrom Rack is not the same thing. I've never been impressed by anything in a Nordstrom Rack either.

Lets put it this way, from a style perspective *I* have a hard time buying clothes at Nordstrom anymore because current styles don't appeal to me much. If you wear $8 Walmart shoes as you've said you have before, I have no idea why would even walk into a Nordstrom. Likewise, with my tastes in products I would never even walk into a JC Penneys.

From a service perspective its hard to beat Nordstrom. It just can't even be compared to JC Penney which is ugly clothes made with low quality fabrics, sold cheap with coupons, etc. Did you know that if you buy a pair of shoes at Nordstrom they will generally ALWAYS take them back on return or exchange? Guys in the suiting department at my Nordstrom I go to have been there for 15, 20 years. They know me, what I buy and what I like, they set things aside for me, etc. Just on another planet from JC Penneys. Penneys is for somebody who wants something cheap that is passable quality, nothing more.

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-21-18 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-21-18, 02:57 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

My experience with Nordstrom has been top level for the merchandise level they are at. I bought some basic white dress shirts at the half yearly sale in '17. I don't rotate them out with high frequency so these tend to sit till called on. I opened up a shirt last month to discover it had a snag left chest. Took it in and they did the refund and re-order of the shirt because it was not in stock at that location. In that time the price went up yet they gave the same price and shipped it to home in 2 days. The other is their alterations dept. They will do the basics on most clothes and if getting fitted, they do a super job in alterations.

J.C. Penny has a different shopper demographic so the shopping experience is aimed at that level of buyer. If the experience falls within one's parameters when making purchases, that's great. Certainly support the shops that service you well. Hard to see a good long standing company go under but when they yank the chain on the staff and customers, that is what comes from it.

Orvis is a small company that I like getting some clothing from too. I buy online and the sizing is consistent. The one store in Pasadena is to far for me to undertake the lousy drive.
Old 12-21-18, 03:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RA40 View Post
My experience with Nordstrom has been top level for the merchandise level they are at. I bought some basic white dress shirts at the half yearly sale in '17. I don't rotate them out with high frequency so these tend to sit till called on. I opened up a shirt last month to discover it had a snag left chest. Took it in and they did the refund and re-order of the shirt because it was not in stock at that location. In that time the price went up yet they gave the same price and shipped it to home in 2 days. The other is their alterations dept. They will do the basics on most clothes and if getting fitted, they do a super job in alterations.
This has been my experience as well. They stand behind their customer which means a lot. Nordstrom is also not crazy expensive either for the quality, of the "luxury department stores" (Nordstrom, Saks Fifth Avenue, Bloomingdales, Nieman Marcus, etc) they're the cheapest by a wide margin. Shopping in those other stores I will commonly look at a price tag and be surprised by it, I'm rarely surprised at Nordstrom. Their half yearly sales are also very good.

I think its really easy to say that Nordstrom is to retail shopping what Lexus is to automobiles.

Orvis is a small company that I like getting some clothing from too. I buy online and the sizing is consistent. The one store in Pasadena is to far for me to undertake the lousy drive.
I like Orvis as well
Old 12-22-18, 12:54 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Don't know if it's genetic, but here in Texas men's clothing has to be a bit larger. My Mom's cousin used to work for Walter Pye's in Chicago back in the '50's when he was transferred to Houston to manage their local stores. Within a month he called corporate and said half of his Texas market was over 42 Large (WP's largest stock size nationally), and he was losing sales to a lot of folks he couldn't fit. He placed special orders for sizes up to 52 Long and kept most of the trade that walked in the door.

A lot of national department stores still haven't realized Texas is a rather special market. I'm 6' 4" and while I was considered tall in college, today I'm about average on a college campus. Yeah, nutrition has changed the market - and we're growin' 'em big down here. I imagine that's becoming true throughout the "growth" states in the South and West where genetic patterns have changed the population. People are just flat BIGGER than they used to be.

For that reason, I ended up having my suits custom-tailored, dress shirts too - back when I was in Corporate America. Days when I had to go to work in the field, I had a different wardrobe that consisted of slacks, jeans, and work shirts I'd get from K-mart's "Big and Tall" section. They had plenty of clothes that fit pretty well, and those Levis "Gentelman's Jeans" wore like iron and were always supremely comfortable, especially out on the road racking up the company mileage and making rig calls where I was bound to get into something nasty . . . pipe dope, drilling mud, etc. I got my underwear and socks from J.C. Penny's because they had the best quality for anything like the money (verified by CR on many occasions), After many years I gave up on Red Wing boots because they were never comfortable, and switched to Tony Lamas when they finally introduced steel toes (required almost everywhere in industry).

I still have several pair of slacks I got from K-mart's selection of perma-press "mechanics uniforms". although they are getting pretty threadbare after thirty years of hard use and many repairs. The material held up just fine, but I had to re-sew a lot of seams over the years to keep them in service. Still they can pass for nice slacks when I need to dress up a bit for a big location shoot. I gave up worrying about getting them filthy - It seems that those old polyesters wouldn't hold grease like cotton, and a pass through the "heavy duty" cycle in the Maytag returned them to practically new condition every time. (Thank you Tide!) I had several pair of heavy coveralls in company colors and patches, but they were grease magnets, and I was actually better off in the polyesters . . . unless there was a danger of fire. THEN those old cotton jumpsuits looked a lot better.

I'm going to miss Penny's, Sears, and K-mart - they are succumbing to the market pressure of the big-box stores and online vendors. I guess it's progress, but I hate to order clothes online and get surprised by what ends up on my doorstep - mostly not in a good way.
Old 12-22-18, 06:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

^^^^^ Excellent points, Bob. Verifies a lot of what I've been trying to say. Like you, I sometimes get out the needle and thread and do temporary repairs on older but still-usable-stuff (like seams)...but when you actually get holes, then IMO it's time to go shopping.

I also believe in donating older but still-usable clothing. We have several good Thrift-Shops around here that take still-usable stuff (without holes in them LOL)....good for a tax-deduction. One of the thrift-shops helps support the same hospital system where I had both my heart by-pass and knee-repair surgeries (ripped tendons) done. That hospital and its staff did a lot for me.....so I try and give a little something back to them.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-22-18 at 06:42 AM.
Old 12-22-18, 02:50 PM
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic

I don't understand why some on here are poo pooing peoples choices for going to JC Penney. If one can see through the facade of Nordstrom, they are then better off buying their products from whomever has the best prices vs the best ease of selection and location. Nordstrom is a nicer place to shop than JC Penney however there are still some cheap prices at Nordstrom. Funny enough, Nordstrom pre price matches some items online anyways. Nordstroms return policy is actually defined as a case by case basis but is quite liberal.

For me, I personally do not care where I shop. Target, Walmart, JC Penney, Nordstrom or Saks (owned by the Bay) and Hudsons Bay. I would never ever pay full price for clothing for myself, if possible which I think is always. I pity the fool who pays full prices. I would always look for a discount somewhere on clothing and then look how easy a store is to get to. Hudsons Bay is by far, leaps and bounds my favorite store. I have bought a few things from Burberry over the years including a jacket, however I made sure to wait till clearance.

In fact, I have actually made my own clothing from scratch in the past from patterns, parts and fabric I bought, although it can be somewhat time consuming. I once recreated a small light zip up sweater/jacket for my husband who loved, loved, loved his zip up.

Last edited by LexsCTJill; 12-22-18 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-22-18, 05:17 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Back in high school I worked for an industrial painting company and usually finished a day's work covered in spray paint. Several older painters taught me to buy my work clothes from the Salvation Army. 50 would buy a decent outfit that you didn't mind sacrificing.

Today I still shop the thrift shops for work clothes and a few good casual outfits. I can't justify buying designer clothes to cut the lawn.

Today a lot of new clothes - especially leftover but new corporate golf tournament shirts for $3 - $4 each are available in thrift shops. I have a collection of new Hawaiian shirts I picked up for as little as $5 - thrifty AND festive . . . Somebody's wife probably made the buyer throw them out. Mine is willing to have her husband look foolish.
Old 12-22-18, 05:20 PM
EdgarLex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lil4X View Post
Back in high school I worked for an industrial painting company and usually finished a day's work covered in spray paint. Several older painters taught me to buy my work clothes from the Salvation Army. 50 would buy a decent outfit that you didn't mind sacrificing.

Today I still shop the thrift shops for work clothes and a few good casual outfits. I can't justify buying designer clothes to cut the lawn.

Today a lot of new clothes - especially leftover but new corporate golf tournament shirts for $3 - $4 each are available in thrift shops. I have a collection of new Hawaiian shirts I picked up for as little as $5 - thrifty AND festive . . . Somebody's wife probably made the buyer throw them out. Mine is willing to have her husband look foolish.
Yeah... Even in some 3rd world counties buying clothes isn't a problem. We have so much of them! Outside of a nice shirt with a specific style that I want you can pick up great polos/shirts at thrift stores.
Old 12-22-18, 06:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lil4X View Post

Yes, I've bought a few things myself, at the same local Thrift Shop that I donate to....when I can find stuff that fits. You may not believe this, Bob, but local Wal-Marts here sometimes, for brand-new stuff, sometimes undercut even thrift-shop prices. It is simply amazing how Wal-mart can operate at those rock-bottom prices, even after giving all of their employees a significant raise recently. Of course, you usually won't get Eddie-Bauer or L.L. Bean-quality at a Wal-mart price, either.
Old 12-23-18, 12:27 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Today many thrift shops sell primarily overstock and remnant items from large retail stores. If you know where and when to shop you can score some incredible deals on new merch.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: