Hope J.C. Penney Isn't Next - Page 2 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > General Forums > The Clubhouse
Hope J.C. Penney Isn't Next >

Hope J.C. Penney Isn't Next

The Clubhouse The Clubhouse is an area where we can post topics on all kinds of things that are not necessarily related to 'Lexus'.

Hope J.C. Penney Isn't Next

Old 12-13-18, 10:00 PM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

About jc penney name... ralph lauren's real last name was Lif****z. He changed it.
Old 12-14-18, 02:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
About jc penney name... ralph lauren's real last name was Lif****z. He changed it.

Not sure what Raph Lauren has to do with it . The chain's founder, who I was referring to (James Cash Penney) was the son of James Cash Penney, Sr. and Mary Frances Penney. That was clearly the name he was born with, and didn't change anything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Cash_Penney

J.C. Penney was born on September 16, 1875, on a farm outside of Hamilton, Caldwell County, Missouri. He was the seventh of twelve children, only six of whom lived to adulthood, born to James Cash Penney, Sr. and Mary Frances (née Paxton) Penney.
Old 12-17-18, 05:02 AM
neurocity
Scotchy, Scotch, Scotch

Wait.... JC Penny still exists? I cant even remember seeing one in the last ten years.
It was one of my first charge cards ever... Twenty some years ago. Also my first lesson in introductory interest rates.

Old 12-17-18, 07:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by neurocity View Post
Wait.... JC Penny still exists? I cant even remember seeing one in the last ten years.
Yep.....still does....at least in the D.C. area. That's one reason why I opened the thread. I still like them.....and get relatively good deals on Big & Tall Men's stuff. (I don't like buying things on-line, and prefer to be in the store and actually try on stuff before I buy). Like some other big traditional retailers, though, the number of their stores is getting pretty thin.....and some of their parent malls have closed up.
Old 12-17-18, 11:55 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

CA has a good amount as anchor locations in various malls. The products are overlap for other stores. If looking for a one stop deal, they do have the basics for the mid class type shoppers. Kohls has some similar items with a comparable pricing structure. Last time anything from J.C. Penny would have been bought was probably 70's by my parents. (Montgomery Ward era too.) I haven't been into one for about 3-4 years. Some of the sale prices are tempting.
Old 12-18-18, 09:07 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Champion

Not sure how all these stores survive- there are still a ton of them around in NY.
Macys, JC Penney, Marshalls, Burlington, TJ Maxx, Kohls, Century21, NordstromRack, Macys Backstage etc

Then you have Zara, H&M, Uniqlo, Forever21.
Old 12-18-18, 12:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3 View Post
Not sure how all these stores survive- there are still a ton of them around in NY.
Macys, JC Penney, Marshalls, Burlington, TJ Maxx, Kohls, Century21, NordstromRack, Macys Backstage etc

Then you have Zara, H&M, Uniqlo, Forever21.

Some people just don't like to buy on-line. Too many potential risks and errors. .
Old 12-19-18, 06:12 AM
jrmckinley
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall View Post
Some people just don't like to buy on-line. Too many potential risks and errors. .
Agree, but emphasis is really on the word "some". I think most people are already comfortable and others are becoming more comfortable - hence why the squeeze is really on these huge retail stores for the foreseeable future.
Old 12-19-18, 06:36 AM
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley View Post
Agree, but emphasis is really on the word "some". I think most people are already comfortable and others are becoming more comfortable - hence why the squeeze is really on these huge retail stores for the foreseeable future.
The future is online as well as self serve at some stores. If you don't offer a combination of both, you are finished. JC Penney is done!
Old 12-19-18, 11:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill View Post
The future is online as well as self serve at some stores. If you don't offer a combination of both, you are finished. JC Penney is done!

J.C. Penney does offer on-line service. I'm just not a fan of that type of transaction, though, for a number of reasons. For clothing, especially, on-line ordering will not tell you beforehand if shirts, pants, coats, shoes, sweaters, etc..... will properly fit you or not. Even with a money-back guarantee (which some stores offer), IMO it's still a hassle, waste of time, etc.....not only returning merchandise through the shipping-company but also getting that money from your credit-card refunded back into your account. And, then, if you have to deal with the bank (or whoever issued the credit-card) to dispute a transaction on the return, it's even more of a hassle.

https://www.jcpenney.com/m/online-of...19-HP-88GOSHOP
Old 12-19-18, 12:05 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

This mirrors the overall shopping experience be that in person or online. Following that, Amazon has made the online shopping experience excellent in most regards. They have had a few errors along the way since I began buying in '99. If there is a mess up, they refund or exchange quickly. The ratio is excellent for them.

The other day the Mrs. called up to verify product availability at a local shop. She talked with the manager and he confirmed that they had a white ceramic version that would be put aside for her for pick-up. We took the cross town drive in lousy Xmas shopping crowds to get it. When she arrived to inspect, the item was glass not the ceramic variant. He apologized but that still was a no sale and an hour of commute wasted. One can guess who got the sale and she vowed to limit her frustration dealing with staff that doesn't know their products. In person or online have their characteristics to deal with. Depends what is more acceptable for the customer. I gladly trade the crowds and parking frustrations for online buying.

Nordstroms has been excellent as well. This relates to the overall customer service policy. Not many stores are as customer oriented these days due to many reasons like people abusing return policies, etc.
Old 12-19-18, 12:20 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

I buy most of my clothes online, I've been doing it for 15 years and learned how various brands are sized and go with that. Driving to a mall is last resort for me. There is a JC Penney about 15 mins from me that I went to once since it was right next to Wegmans where I was anyway that day. They have some ok stuff but nothing that made me want to go back.

James Cash Penney is a hilarious name though lol.
Old 12-19-18, 04:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by plex View Post
I buy most of my clothes online, I've been doing it for 15 years and learned how various brands are sized and go with that. Driving to a mall is last resort for me. There is a JC Penney about 15 mins from me that I went to once since it was right next to Wegmans where I was anyway that day. They have some ok stuff but nothing that made me want to go back.
Are you talking about the ones in Fairfax (VA)...right across the river from Maryland? Yes, they are just a couple of minutes apart....I shop at both myself.
Old 12-19-18, 04:32 PM
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall View Post
J.C. Penney does offer on-line service. I'm just not a fan of that type of transaction, though, for a number of reasons. For clothing, especially, on-line ordering will not tell you beforehand if shirts, pants, coats, shoes, sweaters, etc..... will properly fit you or not. Even with a money-back guarantee (which some stores offer), IMO it's still a hassle, waste of time, etc.....not only returning merchandise through the shipping-company but also getting that money from your credit-card refunded back into your account. And, then, if you have to deal with the bank (or whoever issued the credit-card) to dispute a transaction on the return, it's even more of a hassle.

https://www.jcpenney.com/m/online-of...19-HP-88GOSHOP
Its not a hassle to order to order or return via online. It’s pretty simple. How would it be difficult getting your money back to your credit card? Makes no sense
Old 12-19-18, 05:26 PM
Cali2is
Lead Lap

It’s all about Fashion and Fit when it comes to clothing.
Great service seems to be going away little by little. There
is still hope regarding Penny’s but it’s a very competitive
business. They have a lot of tough decisions to make in
the next 2 years.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: