Premium seating in sports venues - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > General Forums > The Clubhouse
Premium seating in sports venues >

Premium seating in sports venues

Notices
The Clubhouse The Clubhouse is an area where we can post topics on all kinds of things that are not necessarily related to 'Lexus'.

Premium seating in sports venues

Old 11-24-18, 12:39 PM
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic

Default Premium seating in sports venues

Just wondering what some members thoughts are on premium seating in sports venues?

We have been life long sports fans, my husband more than me. In Rochester NY, there is no major professional sports teams. But in Toronto, where I spend most of my time during the week, we have all the major sports teams except the NFL. Being life long Toronto Raptors fans, we decided to treat ourselves to some premium seating for a recent Raptors game. We know someone has access to season ticket exchange and we bought tickets for $339 CAN a seat. Although I have sat in these types of seats before (for Leafs, Blue Jays and Raptors), even SkyDome court side seats for the very first Raptors season, I have not sat in the premium section and paid for these seats for at least 15 years. (husband has been to many Leaf games in these seats but usually gets invited)

I will say, wow! what a fun experience and I totally see the value (once again) in the price point. I got it, the seats and event completely made me forget about the outside world for a few hours.

Thoughts and experiences by others would be appreciated. For reference, our seats were 10th row, directly on the center court of the Scotiabank Area in Toronto.

Last edited by LexsCTJill; 11-24-18 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-26-18, 10:52 AM
jrmckinley
Lexus Test Driver

I find that I don't really see too much value in sporting events - I tend to prefer watching from the comfort of home. Traffic in & out of the event, always some potential altercation on the verge of taking place near me, etc. just has me convinced I'm better off watching on TV. Recently paid $600 in tix for an NFL game (4 tix) - 5 rows back from the field at the 20 yard line so pretty good seats. Spent another $150 on food/drinks and a couple of souvenirs. Watched 2 guys in first row almost get into a fist fight, lots of inappropriate language all around my kids, etc. Just not worth $750 to me but it created a nice memory for the kids. I really enjoy MLS soccer games- environment is incredible, tickets are very reasonably priced, family friendly, and soccer is one of the more exciting sports to watch in-person (maybe not more exciting than hockey).

To me, my money is much better spent elsewhere. My $.02.
Old 11-26-18, 08:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley View Post
To me, my money is much better spent elsewhere. My $.02.
Agreed, for most of the reasons you indicate. Even though I live in the D.C. area, I also dislike the Washington Redskins franchise, for a number of reasons (mostly Dan Snyder, the team's owner) and sure don't want to pay good money to help him stay rich.....he and Jerry Jones (Dallas Cowboys owner) are arguably the two richest persons in the NFL.

Always liked the Pittsburgh Steelers...the city, Western Pennsylvania, the team, and its emblem/colors, which I think is the best-looking uniform in the NFL.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-26-18 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-27-18, 08:41 AM
np20412
Lexus Fanatic

This is one of the reasons I love living in a smaller market but still home to professional sports.

In Tampa Bay, we can get seats to the most popular baseball games (Yankees vs. Rays) 5 rows from the field on the home dugout side for $60. For another $15 you can basically be on the field, and you can even get suite tickets for not much over $100.

For NFL - we have the Bucs. It's NFL so ticket prices are insane regardless. We also have the Jaguars 4 hours away and the Dolphins 4 hours away in the other direction.

For NHL we have the Lightning. They are good when they are good, and bad when they are bad. An inconsistent franchise but the fans here are amazingly dedicated. All the games are close to sell outs and the environment is awesome. Ticket prices are higher than they are for baseball but not as bad as football. I am going to a Rangers/Lightning game in a couple of weeks and we paid $41 each for tickets in the topmost section of the arena. The good seats at center ice in the mid-levels go for around $120 and along the boards for upwards of $200. Still reasonable - this year tickets are more expensive so far since the Lightning are currently the best team in the NHL.

For NBA - we have to venture to Orlando. Here we see the benefit in ticket prices because there is so much other family friendly stuff to do in Orlando that the NBA franchise isn't the highest on the list. This makes ticket prices very reasonable, and add in that it is a mediocre franchise at best over the last 2 decades.

In less than 4 hours drive you can be at any one of 3 major NCAA Football programs (FSU, UF, UM) and we have our own growing programs here in Tampa/Orlando with USF (play at Bucs stadium) and now nationally recognized UCF.

We also have minor league Yankees baseball - a great and cheap and much more intimate environment.

We also have some minor league soccer teams that are also cheaper and more intimate environments.

All that said, I am the kind of guy who really prefers premium seating. I will pay more to sit closer or have a better view in most cases. When I'm with a bigger group and the vote is for cheaper seats (like the hockey game I am going to) then I get stuck sitting nosebleed. It's a different experience when you get pampered in luxury and the best view of the game, and I really enjoy it. I think it comes from years of going to New York Knicks games at Madison Square Garden and being in everything from Luxury Boxes where catered food/alcohol is included to sitting close enough to hear the players speaking on the court. One of my lifelong bucket list items is to see a Knicks game courtside ("Celebrity Row"), but tickets for those are routinely in the $10k+ range.

Last edited by np20412; 11-27-18 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-27-18, 10:31 AM
JDR76
Lexus Fanatic

I've had premium seating for basketball, and enjoyed it (perk of my wife's former career as an athletic trainer). Not sure how much extra I would be willing to pay for it at basketball.

I am a longtime season ticket holder of the Seattle Seahawks. I've always just used my two seats and have never opted for premium/club seating but I would certainly like to give it a try sometime.
Old 12-01-18, 07:59 AM
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for some of the responses. Very interesting to see what people said, although responses were limited.
Old 12-03-18, 04:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Depends on the venue, some do premium seating better than others. Just watched a Capitals game from a suite yesterday and it was great, they do them very well at the Capital One Arena, they do their club seating well too with great service, food, seating locations, etc. Doesn't hurt that the suites and club levels are the "Lexus Club" and Lexus models are in the hallways, priority parking for Lexus owners etc. The Lexus club at the Nationals stadium is also excellent, GREAT food (all you can eat Prime Rib. etc), great seats, great time. I'm less impressed with the club and suite facilities at FedEx field where the Redskins play and in general wouldnt pay there but if I get invited, sure.
Old 12-07-18, 10:02 AM
sm1ke
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not big on sports, but I have attended an NBA semi-final (GSW vs. Pelicans), an NHL Jets game at home in Winnipeg, and a Jets vs. Flames game in Calgary. We sat in regular seats for all of the games. There's definitely an appeal to watching the game in person, the atmosphere is usually quite good.

I gotta say, a Jets game in Winnipeg during the playoffs is *****ing awesome. The energy in the venue is electric.
Old 12-07-18, 10:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Playoff Hockey is awesome in general...
Old 12-07-18, 01:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS View Post
Playoff Hockey is awesome in general...

That is some game physically...one of the most stressful games I've seen. And, even with mouthguards, look at the number of professional hockey players there are with broken or missing teeth.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: