Victor Borge....clean comedy without profanity. - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > General Forums > The Clubhouse
Victor Borge....clean comedy without profanity. >

Victor Borge....clean comedy without profanity.

Notices
The Clubhouse The Clubhouse is an area where we can post topics on all kinds of things that are not necessarily related to 'Lexus'.

Victor Borge....clean comedy without profanity.

Old 11-20-18, 09:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Default Victor Borge....clean comedy without profanity.

In a world of stand-up comedians that try to "entertain" mostly by using a constant stream of profanity and obscenity, Danish-born pianist/comedian, Victor Borge, IMO, is a real breath of fresh air. I've always liked his style, though it sometimes takes close attention and concentration to see the way he uses sarcasm and dry humor. His comedy is clean, but basically subtle and between the lines....not in-your-face with loud brash words. Sadly, this greatly talented man passed away some years ago....he will be greatly remembered.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-22-18 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-21-18, 02:40 PM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

i watched some of that and i've seen some of his stuff before, but most comedy (like car designs!) doesn't age well and this wasn't that funny to me, and painfully slow moving...
Old 11-21-18, 07:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
i watched some of that and i've seen some of his stuff before, but most comedy (like car designs!) doesn't age well and this wasn't that funny to me, and painfully slow moving...

Yeah, his type of comedy is not classic in-your-face stuff....it is sophisticated, and one has to see and follow it between the lines. He is not for the likes of those who would, for example, go to an Andrew Dice Clay performance....or even someone like Chris Rock.
Old 11-21-18, 08:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I prefer my comedy to just smack me in the face with a shovel. I do enough sophisticated in between the lines crap at work.
Old 11-21-18, 08:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS View Post
I prefer my comedy to just smack me in the face with a shovel. I do enough sophisticated in between the lines crap at work.
You'd probably be right at home, then, at an Andrew Dice Clay performance.....in the front row. That's not for me, though...profanity is not my forte, and I get offended when I have to listen to it, though I will occasionally make a vague reference, using asterisks.

Borge also tends to draw an older crowd to his performances....and people more traditional and conservative in their lifestyles.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-21-18 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-22-18, 01:03 AM
Big Andy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall View Post

Borge also tends to draw an older crowd to his performances....and people more traditional and conservative in their lifestyles.
Very old I'd imagine - he's been dead for nearly 20 years.

Next week: these youngsters, Abott & Costello - do you think they'll go far?
Old 11-22-18, 05:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You'd probably be right at home, then, at an Andrew Dice Clay performance.....in the front row. That's not for me, though...profanity is not my forte, and I get offended when I have to listen to it, though I will occasionally make a vague reference, using asterisks.

"Traditional and conservative in their lifestyles"...not sure what that means, as people will tell you I'm about as traditional and conservative as you'll find, but okay.

I think the best advice is not to judge or classify people based on what they like and don't like. Words just don't offend me. They're just words, and used in the right way they can be really funny. What makes them so funny is the silly societal taboo that surrounds them. That doesn't tell you anything about the sort of person I am or the sort of lifestyle I lead though.

Originally Posted by Big Andy View Post

I prefer this Charlie Chaplin character. He's the bees knees.
Old 11-22-18, 01:24 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

We'd caught a PBS segment when he was alive. For the Mrs that had studied piano she found his routines pretty amusing. For me this was mild comedy. There are enough comedians that don't have to use those words to be funny.

Old 11-22-18, 03:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

"Traditional and conservative in their lifestyles"...not sure what that means, as people will tell you I'm about as traditional and conservative as you'll find, but okay.

I think the best advice is not to judge or classify people based on what they like and don't like. Words just don't offend me. They're just words, and used in the right way they can be really funny. What makes them so funny is the silly societal taboo that surrounds them. That doesn't tell you anything about the sort of person I am or the sort of lifestyle I lead though.
I wasn't necessarily tagging you with those lines. What I meant (and I thought I clarified that in the post) is that Borge's typical audience is generally not what you would expect to see with Andrew Dice Clay, Chris Rock, the late Richard Pryor, or comedians who typically use stronger language. By "conservative" and traditional" I meant back when verbal standards were tighter, and the free-flowing use of profanity was not considered socially acceptable. I still don't consider it acceptable in my book, but being around it is just the reality of the world we live in today. That's why I like Borge.....his comedy comes from sophistication and his brain.
Old 11-22-18, 03:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Andy View Post
Yes, but 20 years ago they would have been 20 years younger.

Apples and oranges. Abott & Costello was a totally different type of comedy.....almost slapstick.

BTW, where have you been? Welcome back.....haven't seen you post much lately.
Old 11-22-18, 03:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RA40 View Post
We'd caught a PBS segment when he was alive. For the Mrs that had studied piano she found his routines pretty amusing. For me this was mild comedy.
Your wife has good taste.

There are enough comedians that don't have to use those words to be funny.
Unfortunately, a lot more in the past than are still giving performances today. Even Borge has been gone a number of years.

One of his best show-endings, BTW (though I don't recall it being in the video I posted), was the time he said, referring to the reasons he still gave performances at his age........."Thanks to my parents for making it possible, and thanks to my children for making it necessary".

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-22-18 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-22-18, 11:39 PM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

One skit by borge i do recall being very clever and funny was his 'inflationary speech' one. I didn't look it up on youtube but it's probably there, but here's a transcript.

http://www.whysanity.net/monos/victor_borge.html
Old 11-23-18, 06:03 AM
Big Andy
Lexus Champion

BTW, where have you been? Welcome back.....haven't seen you post much lately.
Thanks Mike, I had my left hip replaced earlier this year so I've spent the summer and autumn, cycling, hill-walking and golfing in Spain - doing all the things that had become too painful over the last couple of years.

I watch old comedy acts the way I watch old movies - you appreciate them in the context they were made in and the different mores of the times. Abbott and Costello remind me of Saturday morning TV as a child - we only had 3 channels to choose from back then!

Everyone has their own lines in the sand regarding "bad" (what does that even mean?) language, and some comedians carry it off better than others. Scottish comedian, Billy Connolly, makes frequent use of the "f" word but does it in such a manner that you're happy to sit down as a family, young (maybe not pre-teens) and old, and laugh along.
Old 11-23-18, 03:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
One skit by borge i do recall being very clever and funny was his 'inflationary speech' one. I didn't look it up on youtube but it's probably there, but here's a transcript.

http://www.whysanity.net/monos/victor_borge.html

Yes, he did that one in the long video I posted.
Old 11-23-18, 04:47 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Nobody smacked harder then Sam Kinison. I wish I saw Kinison or Dangerfield, two of my favorite comedians. I did see Seinfield once, he was really good and one of the few clean comedians that is still funny.

Language in video.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: