Longtime Retailer Sears & Roebuck files for bankruptcy - Page 2 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > General Forums > The Clubhouse
Longtime Retailer Sears & Roebuck files for bankruptcy >

Longtime Retailer Sears & Roebuck files for bankruptcy

Notices
The Clubhouse The Clubhouse is an area where we can post topics on all kinds of things that are not necessarily related to 'Lexus'.

Longtime Retailer Sears & Roebuck files for bankruptcy

Old 10-21-18, 10:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill View Post
Too bad the got rid of their catalog back in the 90s.
Those catalogs were quite thick, used good-quality paper for the pages and covers, and undoubtedly were costly to produce and mail. And, by the 90s, there were already signs that more and more customers would start ordering merchandise on-line.
Old 10-22-18, 03:15 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RA40 View Post
Sad though could be seen coming. Several closed up in our area in the past 8 months. The store interiors became pretty stale and that seemed obvious that spending to update wasn't going to help which relayed of other issues. Sears used to be our go to for various appliances but the big home centers had better choices. When the dishwasher needed replacement, Sears was pretty limited and same with the fridge. The Kenmore/LG product wasn't very appealing either.

As a kid I remember those huge catalogs that had pretty much everything. (Mongomery Ward's too.)
I loved those Christmas catalogues as a kid, pretty much did all my Christmas shopping as a kid from those catalogues just sitting on the coach and writing everything down or circling them. Sears, JCPenny, Service, Best, and PX were main ones.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...0s-in-pictures
https://www.starwars.com/news/collec...ears-wish-book

Last edited by UDel; 10-22-18 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-22-18, 06:55 PM
GS3Tek
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel View Post
I loved those Christmas catalogues as a kid, pretty much did all my Christmas shopping as a kid from those catalogues just sitting on the coach and writing everything down or circling them. Sears, JCPenny, Service, Best, and PX were main ones.

Thanks for those links, esp. the first one.
Brings back a lot of child hood memories
Old 10-22-18, 08:05 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek View Post
Thanks for those links, esp. the first one.
Brings back a lot of child hood memories
Your welcome, a Christmas a few years ago I was thinking about those catalogues, would love to have one just to flip through it, I went on some sites that had the pictures from them and it brought back some nice memories sitting on the couch, looking through them picking out toys, Christmas decorations up, eating those cheeses from those cheese food gifts, fire going in the fireplace, watching Dukes of Hazard, Knight Rider, or Star Wars on tv.
Old 10-23-18, 09:12 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Sears did this to itself. The CEO issues contributed for sure. But the primary issue with sears boils down to one thing.

****ty customer service.

I have never in my life had a harder time dealing with a company than when I have to deal with sears. Nearly every time I have any kind of dealings with them, there are issues.

Example: I went online to buy a storage shed for my yard. I found the one I wanted, at the price I wanted on sears' website. I placed an online order, a few days later, I was informed that my order was ready. I went to the store it said to go to, and the people there could not find my order. The merchandise pickup co-ordinator said "We don't have that item here. We just can't turn down an order." Can't turn down an order? Even if you don't HAVE the item?

So I drove 45 miles to that store, to be told I have to drive another 20 because another store has the item I wanted. What a ****show. And this is just one example. For some reason (price), I keep going back to sears for things, but not anymore. That shed was the last straw. Next time, I will pay more for something just to not have to deal with sears' bull****.
Old 10-23-18, 03:54 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by UDel View Post

Wow, there are memories. Those Best catalogs were just the right size too. Flipping pages was fun in those times. I still enjoy the few merchants that mail out sales papers for me to relax with.

As far as Sears, the last time we really shopped there was about 2-3 years ago. Mom needed some modest clothes and the prices were agreeable. We got her outfitted for $100 and that was a decent haul. Abandoned their tools when Craftsman went to China production and other similar shifts in goods pretty much kept most considerations for Sears out of mind. Wasn't 'bad' but I didn't have that desire for certain off shore products. To bad about the CEO doing all that. As well, customer service had dropped. That goes similar for the newer workforce seen these days.
Old 10-24-18, 09:02 AM
bagwell
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne View Post
Sears did this to itself. The CEO issues contributed for sure. But the primary issue with sears boils down to one thing.

****ty customer service.

I have never in my life had a harder time dealing with a company than when I have to deal with sears. Nearly every time I have any kind of dealings with them, there are issues.
Didn't used to be that way - they had top ranked customer service back in the day.

Yep I used to love those Christmas catalogs!

Sears just failed to adapt plain and simple. I think Target stores DID adapt and are thriving as a slightly nicer alternative to Walmart.
Old 10-24-18, 10:23 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell View Post
Didn't used to be that way - they had top ranked customer service back in the day.

Yep I used to love those Christmas catalogs!

Sears just failed to adapt plain and simple. I think Target stores DID adapt and are thriving as a slightly nicer alternative to Walmart.
I remember when Targets were unimpressive sparse stores in the late 80's, Wal Marts were way better in pretty much every way. Target's seemed to kind of go away/fade but then in the 2000's they seemed to get popular and had a new business model that worked and over the years got bigger and bigger.
Old 10-24-18, 11:25 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

They all better watch out though. Bezos is coming for them
Old 10-25-18, 08:25 AM
bagwell
Lexus Fanatic

They all better watch out though. Bezos is coming for them
IMO, there will always be significant demand for locally available products. Amazon will eat into the 'routine' sales but won't takeover 100%. I'm too picky about some things I buy, I like to hand select my fruits and veggies for example.

if something in my house breaks and I need a replacement ASAP, I'll go to Home Depot or Walmart and get it ASAP.
Old 10-25-18, 08:46 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by bagwell View Post
IMO, there will always be significant demand for locally available products. Amazon will eat into the 'routine' sales but won't takeover 100%. I'm too picky about some things I buy, I like to hand select my fruits and veggies for example.

if something in my house breaks and I need a replacement ASAP, I'll go to Home Depot or Walmart and get it ASAP.
I don't think online shopping will ever replace things like grocery stores, clothing, etc. either. And home improvement/hardware stores will always be necessary. But, general merchandise? Jewelry? luggage? Pots and Pans? Yeah, all that crap will be out of brick & mortar very soon. Many people are too busy to "go to a store" anymore for all but the essentials. I would be willing to bet there are people on this forum that have a personal assistant that does their shopping for them on a weekly basis.
Old 10-25-18, 01:34 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

The adaptation has been that we are accepting that shipping is a factor in our purchases now. The variety of those items is better than most local stores. Except for a few items of urgency (plumbing leaking) most of what I need to fix isn't in a rush. This last round I ordered parts for the lawn mower. The local shop got a bit of the sales because he was less than online was. For So. Cal with the accessibility of nearly any part needed that factors into what am I willing to pay for that convenience.

Last year 4 days before X-Mas the Grohe faucet began leaking at the blend cartridge along with taking several old seals with it. Grohe replaces them under warranty but to ship them I had a 2 week wait for the holiday closure. The plumbing supply cross town results in a 2+ hour round trip with suck traffic. The arm leg pro supply shop 5 miles from the house could get some of the parts next day but at $$. They got the sale.

I don't think online shopping will ever replace things like grocery stores, clothing, etc. either. And home improvement/hardware stores will always be necessary. But, general merchandise? Jewelry? luggage? Pots and Pans? Yeah, all that crap will be out of brick & mortar very soon. Many people are too busy to "go to a store" anymore for all but the essentials. I would be willing to bet there are people on this forum that have a personal assistant that does their shopping for them on a weekly basis.
The wife has one of those personal assistant's. She comes along so that I don't screw it up or I get pictures on the phone to play match and buy. Those kindergarten matching exercises have become useful. In all seriousness, food, and other essentials we'll buy locally. The sales tax in our region is 9.5% and that motivates enough out of county or online purchases. Add in the state gas tax and I'm not liking the overall cost to drive and buy at the local level except for groceries and certain items of necessity that I may not have contingencies for.
Old 10-26-18, 02:17 PM
bagwell
Lexus Fanatic

Oh, plus I can walk or ride my bike to my local grocery store.
Old 10-29-18, 08:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

****ty customer service.

Example: I went online to buy a storage shed for my yard. I found the one I wanted, at the price I wanted on sears' website. I placed an online order, a few days later, I was informed that my order was ready. I went to the store it said to go to, and the people there could not find my order. The merchandise pickup co-ordinator said "We don't have that item here. We just can't turn down an order." Can't turn down an order? Even if you don't HAVE the item?

So I drove 45 miles to that store, to be told I have to drive another 20 because another store has the item I wanted. What a ****show. And this is just one example. For some reason (price), I keep going back to sears for things, but not anymore. That shed was the last straw. Next time, I will pay more for something just to not have to deal with sears' bull****.
Had you previously asked the builder/developer of your new house to include a shed with the deal itself, or was this an add-on decision you made after the house was built and you two moved in?
Old 10-29-18, 03:06 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

****ty customer service.

it's not just Sears. I just ran into the same issue with Home Depot. nothing like a shed, this was just 2 small parts M22 - 3/8 quick connects for my Pressure washer. ordered online from my local Home Depot 2 miles away, website claimed they had 6 of each in stock. ordered last night at 3:30pm, got the notice to pick up at 4:10 pm. got to the store, was told they didn't have them in stock, they could not locate them. I pointed out the web order site said they had 6, "well, sometimes that's wrong or employees miscount during inventory", But the store 6 miles away has them we can transfer your order there, we called and they have them in stock. Drive to the 6 mile away store to discover they had no idea what I was talking about, no order was transferred and they did not have them in stock.

They offered to order them for me from the store by my office, ok I can get them tomorrow. so the order is placed and at 1:30pm today it is still in "processing" so I called, the idiot that answers the phone says, oh we don't have those, but we can order them for you it will take 2-3 weeks. ARE YOU KIDDING ME.

ordered them on Amazon 10 minutes ago for same day delivery..

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: