refund being held hostage - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
The Clubhouse The Clubhouse is an area where we can post topics on all kinds of things that are not necessarily related to 'Lexus'.

refund being held hostage

Old 08-23-18, 02:36 PM
leftyguns
Driver

Default refund being held hostage

sorry for long thread, figured the background story will help with my question. short story. i am attempting to get a refund from a shop that did not provide service. they will only issue this, if i promise to not leave negative reviews.
full story
i wanted to get a clear bra and my windows tinted for my new GX. i found a shop close to my house that happened to also be the cheapest. i got what i paid for. they did an absolutely horrible job, especially on the clear bra. they told me they would wrap in 1 piece they wrapped in 6 pieces. there was several gaps, it looked like a 2 year old cut it. non straight lines, the pieces did not even line up. the tint has specs in it and the corner was cut on drivers door. the other windows the tint is pulling up from the bottom. i had to smash it back down. i took it back and they re-did the clear bra. but again in 6 pieces. slightly smaller gaps but I still have them and still not happy with it. the owner guy told me they have fired 2 installers due to bad work, including the one who did my clear bar. because of my time wasted they gave me $100 credit to use on something else. stupid me i used them for something else. while still trying to get my clear bra fixed i ordered red vinyl wrapping from another company (I paid $60)for my taillights and used the $100 credit for the labor. at no point did they say they do not install customer owned parts and had no issues with the install. this is where it gets bad. again they did a horrendous job. the very next day it started peeling up on each corner. i contacted the company i got the wrap from and he knew right away, it was due to bad install. even the shop admits it was done incorrectly. they didn't get the water out and did not wrap fully around the edges. they went to the edge and cut it. i went back and the "owner" told me he would redo it. i can either order the wrap again myself, out of my pocket, or he can. i said you order it but make sure its the right color. 4 weeks have gone by and nothing. every time i called to get a status i was put on hold for 15+ mins and i just had to hang up. today i got sick of it and drove in. the owner was there again. i told him just give me a refund for the vinyl they ruined, $60, and i will go elsewhere to get it done. he claimed hes been searching every where for the color with no luck. how a shop claiming they do vinyl wraps has a hard time finding red is beyond me but whatever. he said fine hell refund me the money i paid for the vinyl, while he is doing whatever on his computer i told him i took my car to another shop to get a 2nd opinion on the clear bra install too. the other shop literally laughed at their work and said there is no way the car would have ever left their shop looking like that. this apparently set him off. he stopped doing what he was and told me to leave his shop. i said no, i want my refund for your crappy work since you aren't going to fix it. he went and looked at my car again, he had no come back to why they used so many pieces and knows they did a bad job on the lights. i said you guys need to redo it or give me a refund. he continued with no and "sometimes you just have to cut your loss and deal with bad customers". more talking about how bad their customer service is and how i am about to leave negative reviews every where. he then says he will give me a refund for the taillights ONLY if i sign a legal document stating i will not leave any bad reviews but he wont do anything about the clear bra. at this point i walked out.

how can a company hold your refund hostage with the threat of negative feedback? what legal action do i have?

btw, if you are in Denver area, stay the F away from tint my ride on Parker road. the 3 times i have been to the shop for work, my car wasn't the only one they messed up.

Old 08-23-18, 02:55 PM
tecman
Lexus Champion

Did you use a credit card? It sounds like a good reason for disputing the charges.
Old 08-23-18, 03:23 PM
leftyguns
Driver

Originally Posted by tecman View Post
Did you use a credit card? It sounds like a good reason for disputing the charges.
i didn't with them no, except on my clear bra. that was done in March so might be too far gone for a charge back/dispute. the vinyl i paid another person (who is not at fault) and used a credit for labor.
they are blackmailing me in a way. this doesn't seem legal at all.
Old 08-23-18, 04:43 PM
Hoovey2411

he then says he will give me a refund for the taillights ONLY if i sign a legal document stating i will not leave any bad reviews but he wont do anything about the clear bra. at this point i walked out.
lol! Bye Felicia. Write those negative reviews and call the BBB.
Old 08-23-18, 05:05 PM
leftyguns
Driver

i have emailed our local BBB office for guidance. leaving negative reviews is great and all, but does not put money back in my pocket or fix my taillights/clear bra. the moral victory is taking money out of their pockets.
he even told me i could sue him he doesn't care (i did not even mention legal action), he has a good lawyer. why would you be willing to pay lawyer fees instead of fixing the mistake.
Old 08-23-18, 07:30 PM
tecman
Lexus Champion

I reported a company once to the BBB for a dehumidifier bought at Sams Club. The product failed several months later and I tried to use the manufacturer warranty and no response. BBB said that the company is not a member with them but they would still reach out to the company. Within 1 week I received a response from the company and a new unit was sent to me.

Regarding posting a bad review, be carful and confident with accusations....

https://www.howtogeek.com/352302/can...-a-bad-review/
Old 08-24-18, 07:35 AM
leftyguns
Driver

thank you for that link @tecman i had read a few links similar but that one is more to the point. so long as i am not saying any false things i should be good. everything i have said is fact and all true

i contacted BBB last night. i also saw that Colorado has a good consumer page linked by the FTC and i can report here too
Old 08-24-18, 11:50 AM
Amish
Rookie

When he was working up the refund and you told him how the other shop laughed about the work performed....that sealed it right there. You should have waited for your refund before insulting him further. You are within your rights to demand a refund but I think you should have held off on that comment until you had cash in hand.

I feel your pain dude and I might have said the same thing to the guy. You are totally in the right...I just figure that comment sent him over the edge.

Last edited by Amish; 08-24-18 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-24-18, 12:25 PM
leftyguns
Driver

Originally Posted by Amish View Post
When he was working up the refund and you told him how the other shop laughed about the work performed....that sealed it right there. You should have waited for your refund before insulting him further. You are within your rights to demand a refund but I think you should have held off on that comment until you had cash in hand.
in hindsight, maybe. but that's no way to run a business. letting your ego control customer service. he could have still said well here is your money back and good luck.
Old 08-24-18, 12:56 PM
Amish
Rookie

Originally Posted by leftyguns View Post
in hindsight, maybe. but that's no way to run a business. letting your ego control customer service. he could have still said well here is your money back and good luck.
I agree! And he should have. I have learned that no one likes to be insulted or laughed at even when they are at fault. He reacted poorly for sure.
Old 08-24-18, 05:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

"btw, if you are in Denver area, stay the F away from tint my ride on Parker road. the 3 times i have been to the shop for work, my car wasn't the only one they messed up."

didn't you just leave a bad review about them?

and for 60 bucks? i would just blast the hell out of them on the internet and local channels
Old 08-24-18, 06:18 PM
rmason
Rookie

I'd make them eat it and just go ahead with the reviews....but that's just me.
Old 08-27-18, 03:58 AM
lexusrus
Lexus Champion

NEVER too late UNTIL you try.

Tell them that place was trying to defraud you by delaying you from asking for a FULL REFUND BY TELLING YOU THAT THEY WILL GIVE YOU ADDITIONAL CREDIT TOWARDS SOMETHING ELSE!!! AND THEY WERE NOT UPFRONT WITH THE ENTIRE PROCESS FROM THE BEGINNING WHEN YOU HAD ASKED YOUR MONEY BACK.

I'll bet if you call up your credit card company and explain what happened, they will work with you to get your money back. DO NOT ACCEPT ANY MORE CREDIT FROM THAT PLACE TO GET ANYTHING ELSE DONE. STICK TO A FULL REFUND!!! AFTER YOU GET YOUR REFUND, MAKE YOUR BAD EXPERIENCE KNOWN TO EVERYBODY ON THE NET!!!

Make sure you document everything and after you hang up talking with the credit card company, either send them a letter with Certified Mail with RETURN Receipt OR email them with CC to yourself to document the conversation. Also to get the full name of the person you talked with (if he/she wontw give you the full name, then ask for employee ID#).

Originally Posted by leftyguns View Post
i didn't with them no, except on my clear bra. that was done in March so might be too far gone for a charge back/dispute. the vinyl i paid another person (who is not at fault) and used a credit for labor.
they are blackmailing me in a way. this doesn't seem legal at all.

Last edited by lexusrus; 08-27-18 at 04:05 AM.
Old 08-28-18, 05:14 PM
leftyguns
Driver

thanks @lexusrus i looked in to charge back more. i will call my CC company and see what they say. only part of the issue was on my CC though. i read that the merchant can turn around and sue me if i do a charge back and its best to resolve with the merchant. obviously the merchant is an idiot and wont work with me so a charge back might work. they do not reply to emails at all so im not sure how i can keep track, i really wish i had recorded the conversation of him saying he will only refund me if i dont leave any reviews. i took several pics of their sloppy work and ready to blast them but want to make sure i do it in right order.
Old 12-05-18, 05:37 PM
leftyguns
Driver

Default update

i tried to do a charge back, but the bank has a time frame of when you can request one and i was passed it. so i again tried to go back to the shop and ask for a refund and again i was told no. i finally decided to file a complaint with BBB, if anything they would at least have a ding on their record and that would hurt the business. BBB took my complaint and sent it to the business. 5 weeks of waiting on a response from them, they finally responded and asked me to come back in to the shop so they can take a look at it.....again.

First thing they asked me when I showed up, if i will call BBB and remove the complaint. no apologies or anything else. 2nd thing, they offered me 50% refund if i kept the clear bra on and removed the complaint. he said they will attempt to "straighten the jagged/pealing edges" and "its still protecting" and its a "win win" for both of us. not sure how its a win for me. i politely declined and asked him to remove it fully and give me a full refund. i had already removed the vinyl on my taillights. they ended up removing the clear bra today and issued me a refund. once it clears my bank i will advise the BBB

They kept trying to tell me they have great customer service and want to resolve everything and make customers happy. the guy who did both installs (since they tried twice) was fired and i was just "unlucky". i told them they weren't helping me at all until i called BBB. if they had just taken care of it months ago neither of us would be in this situation and i might have considered the partial refund. i am so relieved to get this over with and not have to look at that horrible clear bra any longer.

i have an appointment with another shop on Jan 2nd. the shop did my other car so i know their work and trust them. they are $200 more, this is what i get for trying to save a few bucks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: