Any Contractors Here for ADA Advice? - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > General Forums > The Clubhouse
Any Contractors Here for ADA Advice? >

Any Contractors Here for ADA Advice?

Notices
The Clubhouse The Clubhouse is an area where we can post topics on all kinds of things that are not necessarily related to 'Lexus'.

Any Contractors Here for ADA Advice?

Old 06-13-18, 10:22 PM
RXSF

Default Any Contractors Here for ADA Advice?

I'm hoping someone can shed some light for me as ADA law is not as clear cut as I had hoped. I own a commercial apartment building with a shared male and a second shared female restroom for tenants and customer use. Currently, the bathroom is not ADA compliant and I have been hesitant to touch the stall partitions for fear of doing so will require ADA compliance. The building was built in 1950s. This has severely limited what I want to do with these restrooms, as you can imagine, and I have only been able to do light cosmetic work.

Now, I have plans to completely overhaul the restrooms down to the studs and rework the layouts. I am willing to install handicap stalls and think I have the space. I am curious if anyone has experience out there that can tell me if this will trigger ADA compliance to anything outside of the restroom, such as the hallways leading to the restrooms. I am not willing to open that can of worms. Currently, to access the restrooms, customers need to go through each of the commercial spaces, where there is a shared back hallway with the restrooms. I cannot even imagine the cost if I am forced to make the entire building compliant. If it is only confined to the restroom, then I can handle it. I am worried that when the permits go through, the city inspections are going to require more changes.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-14-18, 04:43 AM
ShrinkDoc
Pole Position

Renovations or modifications are considered to be alterations to a facility/building when they affect the usability of the space. For example, if you install a new display counter, move a wall or bathroom, replace fixtures, carpet or flooring, and even replacing an entry door, you are opening up a can of worms. A repair to a broken door, or wall, or replacing a broken toilet is not considered an alteration by the ADA, as you move more towards modifying the space, however, you incrementally move into ADA territory.

So what does this mean...it depends on who reads your plans and approves them. We've seen in our medical practice how some inspectors will wave a modification while others will stick you. There is a grey area in all of this. I wish I had a simple, straightforward answer. And while then ADA is a federal mandate, each state, each community, each reviewer, can find ways to stick to the plan or waive it.
Old 06-17-18, 05:37 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

ADA in general is a big grey area, what with exceptions/conditions like "undue hardship" and "maximum extent feasible".

My experience with ADA is purely academic, but I recall that the big trigger is when renovating/modifying "primary function areas". The restroom is not considered primary, so the question is whether making a restroom ADA compliant somehow requires that pathways/routing to the restroom are made ADA compliant.

The fact that ADA was intended to allow older buildings to become ADA-compliant gradually and over time (essentially, as owners would normally renovate the buildings so as not to present financial hardship), may lend credence to the idea that simply remodeling the bathroom is one of those steps and would not require modifications to the pathway/route to the bathroom until a separate alteration of that primary function area.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge can comment.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any Contractors Here for ADA Advice?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: