Barbara Bush, America's Grandmother Passes - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > General Forums > The Clubhouse
Barbara Bush, America's Grandmother Passes >

Barbara Bush, America's Grandmother Passes

Notices
The Clubhouse The Clubhouse is an area where we can post topics on all kinds of things that are not necessarily related to 'Lexus'.

Barbara Bush, America's Grandmother Passes

Old 04-18-18, 11:35 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Default Barbara Bush, America's Grandmother Passes

It was with heavy hearts we learned last night of this great lady's passing. Hers was an exemplary life, sharing a great love affair with her husband of 72 years, President George H. W. Bush. She took on literacy as her cause, and fought for it personally, bringing attention to her crusade not just by speeches, but by getting down on the library floor with a dozen or two youngsters and reading to them while asking them to "help" her read stories to the class. They responded with great interest - and many after many years have become teachers themselves, having fallen in love with both the First Lady, and the teaching profession through her example.

She was a force of nature, infusing her audiences with dreams of a future that could be theirs while never backing down to be just a Presidential wife. Why should she? She had a mission and it wasn't being a footnote to her husband's career. She had plenty to say and was going to be heard. OK, she was everyone's feisty grandma, but she got things done. "Focusing on the family is the best place to start to make this country more literate, and I still feel that being more literate will help us solve so many of the other problems facing our society." That was her credo - one that helped raise over $14M for over 1,500 literacy programs across the country.

Barbara Bush was a national treasure. Her sometimes acerbic wit was rarely seen in public, held in check (probably with great difficulty) by her charm. Now she is at rest, and we all can take a lesson from her. Never the socialite, she was a small-town girl who as a young wife and mother taught her children a set of values, based on her Christian faith. She was most at home with her family, although she enjoyed rather anonymous evenings of family dinners in Houston's middle-class restaurants where she would visit with long-time friends. Chefs and busboys alike came to know and love the woman who treated everyone like her family.
Old 04-18-18, 11:49 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

She definitely was a Classy lady and lived a long and meaningful life. R.I.P. Mrs. Bush.
Old 04-18-18, 12:03 PM
GS3Tek
Lexus Fanatic

My son just did a biography on George HW Bush along with information on Mrs. Bush. She definitely was a classy lady and was also a great contributor.
RIP Mrs. Bush.
Old 04-18-18, 04:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

RIP, dear lady.

She was the very definition of class.....easily the best First Lady of my lifetime. I almost shed a tear when I heard of her passing.....though we knew, for the last couple of days, that she was terminal and that it was probably just a matter of time. I considered her a saint....she was the first Presidential wife that I know of who (along with her husband) took time out from their busy schedules to go just a few blocks away, right here in D.C., to visit the babies in the local D.C. hospitals who had been born to crack-addicted mothers, some of who had AIDS. (this was at the peak of D.C.'s crack and crime epidemic in the late 1980s and early 1990s).

She was also known for modesty in her dress and demeanor. When asked why she did not wear expensive jewelry or ultra-fashion-clothing like Nancy Reagan did (except for her wedding/engagement rings), she replied "I don't have any.....nor do I want any". My late mother got a chance to meet her and George one night. She played handbells in her church, and the group was so good that they were invited to play at the White House, several times, for Christmas. When she and her group went one night when the Bushes were there, she said that Barbara and George came downstairs and treated them with far more courtesy than was the case later with the Clintons.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-18-18 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-19-18, 09:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA View Post
Looking into that story further, this person's vile hatred is ugly and disgusting. I fear the university will fail to act justifiably for conduct unbecoming / hate speech due to fear of extremist litigation / activism this person will surely launch into if terminated.

Under the First Amendment, one is guaranteed free speech, as long as it is not libel or slander. One is NOT guaranteed a job. Yes, the university needs to act.

Anyhow, since I (assume) she will be buried at Arlington National Cemetery, I plan to attend the funeral service...I don't live very far away from ANC. If President Trump attends, however (and I suspect he will, out of respect, even though he's had an ongoing political feud with the Bush family ever since the 2016 primary), public-access may be restricted.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-19-18 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-20-18, 05:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA View Post
I believe she is to be buried at the George HW Bush Presidential Library in College Station, TX, on the 21st. I don't think trump is attending, the first lady will be there (as of this posting).

Yes, thanks, I saw that on the local news here. Apparently, since the family is from Texas, that's where they will bury her.
Old 04-21-18, 07:46 PM
bagwell
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
And there's always one...

California college professor spews vile hate at Barbara Bush moments after death

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...le-hate-barba/

And this

RANDA JARRAR PUT ON LEAVE BY FRESNO STATE

http://www.pacificpundit.com/2018/04...-fresno-state/

yep saw this POS... hopefully the college will have ***** and fire her!
Old 04-21-18, 08:00 PM
link13
Lexus Champion

I was sad to learn of Barbara Bush’s passing. I thought she was always classy and she poured lots of energy into literacy as a cause, while not being a political figure. She is almost a generation older than my parents, who are 78 and 75, and she was true to her beliefs and morals. RIP Mrs. Bush.
Old 04-23-18, 01:29 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

For the past two years, the President and the First Lady have been in and out of the hospital for treatment of a number of health problems. This weekend our pastor who had become personal friends of the Bush family through his own late wife's year-long stay in that Houston hospital told this story on the Bush family. It seems the pastor's wife and the President were next-door neighbors on the hospital's VIP floor, and the hallway was constantly filled with Secret Service agents struggling to control the large number of people who wanted to visit Mr. Bush.

The agents stopped them of course - and kindly asked them to leave - without confirming the President was in residence . . . but the would-be visitors couldn't understand why so many "police" were on that floor. Down in the waiting rooms, our pastor began to spread the rumor that the head of a powerful drug cartel was recovering on that floor and the mob of curious looky-loos disappeared almost immediately. The effect was almost instantaneous - no more wannabe visitors lurking in the halls for the remainder of the President's stay.

A few days later he ran into Mrs. Bush on the floor and after talking with her for a few minutes, confessed to initiating that rumor. The First Lady loved it and thought it was a pretty good idea - at least her husband could get some rest. Moments later when Mrs. Bush entered his room, the President was already roaring with laughter, saying "What's this I hear about ME being a cartel kingpin?"

Well, at least the President got some much needed rest - as did his security detail. Sometimes salacious rumors work better than armed guards at keeping celebrity-seekers at bay.
Old 04-23-18, 06:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lil4X View Post
For the past two years, the President and the First Lady have been in and out of the hospital for treatment of a number of health problems. This weekend our pastor who had become personal friends of the Bush family through his own late wife's year-long stay in that Houston hospital told this story on the Bush family. It seems the pastor's wife and the President were next-door neighbors on the hospital's VIP floor, and the hallway was constantly filled with Secret Service agents struggling to control the large number of people who wanted to visit Mr. Bush.

The agents stopped them of course - and kindly asked them to leave - without confirming the President was in residence . . . but the would-be visitors couldn't understand why so many "police" were on that floor. Down in the waiting rooms, our pastor began to spread the rumor that the head of a powerful drug cartel was recovering on that floor and the mob of curious looky-loos disappeared almost immediately. The effect was almost instantaneous - no more wannabe visitors lurking in the halls for the remainder of the President's stay.

A few days later he ran into Mrs. Bush on the floor and after talking with her for a few minutes, confessed to initiating that rumor. The First Lady loved it and thought it was a pretty good idea - at least her husband could get some rest. Moments later when Mrs. Bush entered his room, the President was already roaring with laughter, saying "What's this I hear about ME being a cartel kingpin?"

Well, at least the President got some much needed rest - as did his security detail. Sometimes salacious rumors work better than armed guards at keeping celebrity-seekers at bay.
That story, while interesting, also shows how gullible some people can be. A real drug kingpin (say, someone along the likes of Carlos Lederer or Pablo Escobar) would probably not have been in a public hospital like that in Houston. More likely, a major enemy of the U.S., like that, would have been in a heavily-guarded military hospital like Walter Reed, Bethesda Naval (now in the same complex), DeWitt at Ft. Belvoir, or the medical facility at Guantanamo.

Did you ever get to meet the Bushes yourself, Bob? My late mother met them when she and her hand-bell-group from our church were invited to play at the White House for Christmas.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-23-18 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-24-18, 07:55 PM
Och
Lexus Fanatic

Of the dead nothing but good is to be said, so I wont say anything.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Barbara Bush, America's Grandmother Passes

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: