Sim card issue - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

The Clubhouse The Clubhouse is an area where we can post topics on all kinds of things that are not necessarily related to 'Lexus'.

Sim card issue

Old 01-08-18, 05:10 PM   #1
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Default Sim card issue

I only have a regular sized SIM card which all my previous phones have taken. Low and behold my new phone uses a nano SIM card which I just discovered when about to switch SIM cards.

Has anyone had to deal with the same thing? I see they have cheap T mobile nano SIM cards on ebay but am I going to have to pay some stupid fee to my provider on top of buying the SIM card to activate the new Nano SIM card or do you just punch in a code on the new phone and your phone number, I still have the box from my original phone in 2002 from my provider with all the information.

Unfortunately I lose all the stuff from the old SIM card but they have cheap SIM card Readers on ebay too, can these transfer my information from my regular SIM card to the new nano SIM card using my PC? Anybody have experience with them
UDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-18, 09:03 PM   #2
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic

You can cut the sim down. You pay a few dollars and some one uses a special cutter to punch it down.
LexsCTJill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-18, 09:12 PM   #3
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Just drop by a T-Mobile store. They'll transfer your line as well as your numbers to your new sim.

If you're extra nice they might even give you the sim for free lol.
yardie876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-18, 09:14 PM   #4
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

I cut mine down using an online template and a sharp knife. No problem.
bitkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-18, 11:02 PM   #5
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
I cut mine down using an online template and a sharp knife. No problem.
Really, cut them down with a sharp knife? I am sure there is a possibility of screwing that up and I will find it but I still have a couple of old phones I would like to still keep that regular sized sim card for them if I ever want to switch back. I will check some youtube video's though. Most of those card readers don't seem to get good reviews after some research.
Old 01-08-18, 11:08 PM   #6
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardie876 View Post
Just drop by a T-Mobile store. They'll transfer your line as well as your numbers to your new sim.

If you're extra nice they might even give you the sim for free lol.
I never thought about that, I think there is a T mobile store near me. I will give that a shot, hopefully they give it for free or a reasonable price because the nano sims are pricey on the site.
Old 01-09-18, 06:10 AM   #7
geko29
Oil Burner

With AT&T, you can get a free SIM at any company-owned store. Independent "authorized retailers" will generally charge $10. T-Mobile might be similar.
geko29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-18, 06:33 AM   #8
Mike728
Lexus Champion

If you're a T-Mobile customer, they should give you a free SIM. But, as has been mentioned, cutting the old SIM is not difficult.
Mike728 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-18, 04:30 PM   #9
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike728 View Post
If you're a T-Mobile customer, they should give you a free SIM. But, as has been mentioned, cutting the old SIM is not difficult.
That is what happened, stopped by the T-mobile store and they programmed a nano SIM card with my number, no charge. Thanks. I did not put it in yet, hopefully it works out.
Old 01-11-18, 12:12 PM   #10
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

I guess they deactivate your old card when you have to switch to a smaller one, I noticed before I put the nano in my new phone the phone I was using no longer had service or could make calls. So much for using that older phone as a backup.
Old 01-11-18, 12:43 PM   #11
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDel View Post
I guess they deactivate your old card when you have to switch to a smaller one, I noticed before I put the nano in my new phone the phone I was using no longer had service or could make calls. So much for using that older phone as a backup.
get an adapter for the nano:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Pcs-Nano-...item2ca35ae8a4
mjeds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-18, 12:54 PM   #12
Mike728
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeds View Post
^^ Yes, that would work. They only allow one active SIM at a time.
Mike728 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-18, 06:12 AM   #13
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDel View Post
You can't have 2 phones with 2 different sims on one phone line. You can use one sim between 2 phones so just get a nano sim adapter as mentioned.
Old 01-12-18, 01:28 PM   #14
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
You can't have 2 phones with 2 different sims on one phone line. You can use one sim between 2 phones so just get a nano sim adapter as mentioned.
I see that now, I am not sure why you can't have 2 SIMMs for 2 different phones with your same phone number so you have a backup phone. I was actually looking into doing that at one time in case I lost a phone or could take a older cheaper phone on some trips I would not care much if it got stolen/broke but never got around to seeing about doing it.
Old 01-13-18, 10:36 PM   #15
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

You can't have 2 sims on 2 phones both active because then 2 PEOPLE could use them thus ripping off the service provider.

but for your needs, there's no issue. If you still have 1 active sim you can use it in either phone (with adapter if needed). If you lose the active sim, just activate the other sim. No biggie.