Has anyone had dinner at a Michelin Star restaurant? - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

The Clubhouse The Clubhouse is an area where we can post topics on all kinds of things that are not necessarily related to 'Lexus'.

Has anyone had dinner at a Michelin Star restaurant?

Old 07-16-17, 07:44 PM   #1
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic

Default Has anyone had dinner at a Michelin Star restaurant?

We were having dinner tonight and we got talking about Michelin Star restaurants. I was surprised to find that one our guests knew about the Michelin Star guide. It came as we were taking abiut Gordon Ramsays restaurants and i saw on the website and then mentioned that three of his restaurants were Michelin Star rated.

Curious, has anyone ever eaten at one of these restaurants? I have not. But one day I would seek one of them out.

Note: I posted this in car chat as the Michelin Guide is produced by the Michelin Tires company. So I figured it would be kinda cool for those who were not aware.

Last edited by LexsCTJill; 07-16-17 at 07:50 PM.
LexsCTJill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-17, 05:52 AM   #2
Johnhav430
Lexus Champion

Peter Luger, Gramercy Tavern. Is this kinda like Top Tier gas? there are entire cities that don't have a single one, and other cities that have lists as long as a basketball players arm. Don't think it should be a criteria for anyone, but that's me....
Johnhav430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-17, 05:55 AM   #3
davyjordi
Lexus Champion

I have eaten in the now closed elBulli in Catalunya.
davyjordi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-17, 06:09 AM   #4
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyjordi View Post
I have eaten in the now closed elBulli in Catalunya.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhav430 View Post
Peter Luger, Gramercy Tavern. Is this kinda like Top Tier gas? there are entire cities that don't have a single one, and other cities that have lists as long as a basketball players arm. Don't think it should be a criteria for anyone, but that's me....
Thanks both of you. Were they worth it? Or were you like "What is the big deal?"
LexsCTJill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-17, 06:18 AM   #5
Johnhav430
Lexus Champion

Well my experience was being invited by someone else, no way could I have picked up the tab....I had a lawyer friend who always insisted on paying, and always ordered everything expensive....there was one time I told him, I don't want any argument, I am paying this time, and you get whatever you want (this was a chain seafood restaurant lol)...he agreed but I think he held back knowing he wasn't paying...

Oh, the big deal is the treatment and the quality etc. I'm even impressed by the Capital Grill when a vendor takes us out.

I would have to say no, but I am more frugal. I remember a friend saying her parents went to Morimoto in Phila. (not starred but pricey)....they spent around $125 ea., and went home hungry...that's not me at all!! Just to frame things, I could see once in a while spending $50 on a steak, and I had a $24 Longhorn recently that didn't taste very good for some reason....while a $24 at Texas Roadhouse was tasty (these are not in the Peter Luger category obviously, not even prime)....
Old 07-17-17, 06:22 AM   #6
kitabel
Lead Lap

Adds a "0" to the price.
kitabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-17, 06:25 AM   #7
davyjordi
Lexus Champion

For me the entire experience was unique. The food was amazingly delicious and exceptionally creative from both a culinary and an artistic standpoint. When Ferran Adriá opens his new restaurant, I'll be more than willing to see what creative dishes he has in store.

Anyhow, was it worth it? Absolutely!
Old 07-17-17, 07:00 AM   #8
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Tanks for posting, Jill, but I never heard of the term "Michelin Star" until you mentioned it. Here in the D.C. area, restaurants are usually rated by the Washington Post Newspaper's eatery-critic, Tom Sietsema. I don't usually eat at expensive places anyway....and, without drinks or dessert (I don't drink alcohol, and rarely eat dessert), I consider anything over $20 for a good meal expensive LOL.
mmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-17, 07:30 AM   #9
davyjordi
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarshall View Post
Tanks for posting, Jill, but I never heard of the term "Michelin Star" until you mentioned it. Here in the D.C. area, restaurants are usually rated by the Washington Post Newspaper's eatery-critic, Tom Sietsema. I don't usually eat at expensive places anyway....and, without drinks or dessert (I don't drink alcohol, and rarely eat dessert), I consider anything over $20 for a good meal expensive LOL.
Michelin is known worldwide for their exclusive rankings of the world's rop restaurants.
Old 07-17-17, 07:45 AM   #10
Johnhav430
Lexus Champion

I once despised Gordon Ramsay, AND, Simon Cowell. I actually think Gordon Ramsay is a pretty cool guy, today lol Funny to read these folks' stories and realize how they overcame adversity and are who they are today. I think it has to do with persistence and personality. Ramsay has a LaFerrari....

My wife and I met Chef Ming Tsai and had our pics taken with him, of all places, at a Buick event, very humble....my wife asked him what's that bracelet you have? And he started to explain oh yeah, that's from my buddy Matt Damon's foundation water dot org, by which they are trying to provide access to safe water.....
Old 07-17-17, 07:48 AM   #11
RXSF

I am lucky to be in the bay area where Michelin starred restaurants are plentiful. There are even a lot of Michelin guide recommended ones too. I have eaten at a few, and have gone to a 3 star restaurant up in Napa. Yes, they are good, but worth the money? Im not too sure. I have never been one to appreciate spending $$$$ on food. Much rather buy things that make me more happy.
RXSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-17, 08:01 AM   #12
FastFord
Lexus Test Driver

Having been to two the food was excellent....however.

You are paying also for the overall ambiance. The service is usually exceptional, however, slow for my liking. The meals are prepared fresh so it can take 30-45 minutes for your meal to arrive. The portions are not like at a typical steakhouse, kind of on the small side. As an example, one restaurant had scallops as an appetizer...there were two scallops. Presentation of all courses was like a piece of art, especially the desserts. Menus have some different things that you would not typically find in most restaurants, I didn't venture down that road. Prices were definitely on the high side. Restaurants were beautiful, and the washrooms were unbelievable and spotless.
Excellent food, presentation, service, facilities. High prices, slow meal/dessert arrival times.
Is it worth it?...to each his/her own.
FastFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-17, 10:38 AM   #13
whoster
Lexus Fanatic

I really enjoy "fancy" restaurants with set tasting menus a lot. As far as Michelin-starred restaurants go, I've only been to one--Roister in Chicago--and it was their inaugural year in receiving a star.

My experience with "high-level" dining is a very recent thing (past 3 years), and I enjoy it immensely. It gets expensive quickly, but as an avid home cook I hate "throwing away" money for food I could have easily made at home--so eating at a "fine dining" establishments really does make it feel like a treat, and to me the level of service and quality of food justifies the higher prices.
whoster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-17, 02:15 PM   #14
geko29
Oil Burner

I've been to several:

In Chicago:
L2O: *** (now closed)
Spiaggia: *
Topolombompo: * (one of only two Michelin-starred Mexican restaurants in the US)

In Las Vegas:
Joël Robuchon: *** (twice)
L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon: *
Mesa Grill: *

And recently went to é by josé andrés, which doesn't have a star yet, but I suspect will in the near future. By and large, these restaurants are crazy expensive, have great service, and serve amazing food that I could not possibly prepare at home. I personally feel it's worth it for the experience, though obviously given the prices it's not something most people can or should do on a regular basis. I try to do one every year or two. I still remember each and every meal above, even though some were nearly a decade ago.
geko29 is offline   Reply With Quote