I need auto insurance help - Page 2 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

The Clubhouse The Clubhouse is an area where we can post topics on all kinds of things that are not necessarily related to 'Lexus'.

I need auto insurance help

Old 03-11-17, 01:10 PM   #16
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtray View Post
You make a good point about who pays for those advertising commercials.

It probably was Reckless driving. One of those speeding tickets was way over the limit. Obviously excuses mean bull$#!T but just to speak my side, I had never driven such a fast car and it sort of just climbed to the speed I was caught at without me even noticing. I mean I felt it gaining but sheesh not in a matter of seconds.

I'm pretty sure if I were to sell the car back and buy a beater, I'd be upside on the car loan. And something tells me, the vehicle itself does not matter. I was paying $1,012.00 when I had my old *** Lexus which is considered a beater.
See what you can work out getting rid of the Infiniti, I am sure there is a way to make things work and give you a grand or 2 to spend on a FWD 4 cylinder beater that isn't sporty like Prelude, Integra, RSX, Celica, etc which will still be expensive to insure in your case.

You had a Lexus SC300 correct? It is not a "beater" to insurance companies. It is a RWD expensive to fix 6 cylinder 2 door luxury coupe and that type of car is still very expensive to insure for young drivers even without a bad driving record, your newer Infiniti RWD 6 cylinder sedan is no different, it is going to be much more expensive to insure then a fwd 4 cyl older econo car or family sedan.

Ask your insurance and other insurers what the least expensive vehicle is to insure and start looking to them which will likely be a older Corolla, Camry, Focus, Accord, etc. Civic Si will still be expensive. If you can't get your insurance down to a reasonable level just get rid of your car and don't bother owning a car, get a bike or take public transportation/uber. No reason to pay a Mercedes S class payment every month just to insure your car plus a pricey car payment on a car that gets poor gas mileage and requires premium, it is just eating up most of your income and not allowing you to have any savings at all. If you lose your job which is very possible in this job market/economy you are up s___ creek.
UDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-17, 07:25 PM   #17
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I don't totally agree with the often-used argument that a big ad-budget with an insurance company means high rates. GEICO, for instance, has had an enormous ad-campaign for years........green Gecko reptiles, talking piles of dollar-bills, money being burned, 15-minute-savings ads in just about every situation you could think of, talking camels walking through offices.....you name it. Yet, even with these big-money ads, they still manage to keep rates down in comparison to most of their competitors, though they can be rather picky and selective about who they will accept, and the terms/conditions of the policy.
mmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-17, 09:01 PM   #18
SW15LS
Lexus Fanatic

Geico doesn't even offer the coverage levels other insurers do though, and they're quick to cancel with claims, etc.

Geico doesn't even offer coverage at the levels I use, and I can get coverage at the levels I need from other insurers for not much more money...
SW15LS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-17, 11:00 AM   #19
SC300Es
Lexus Champion

The DMV would most likely cancel your registration and suspend your license if they find out you're without insurance.

Definitely, take defensive driving courses. Maybe get married and turn 25?

Ed
SC300Es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-17, 11:33 AM   #20
Mike728
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC300Es View Post
Maybe get married and turn 25?
Well, that certainly won't save him any money!
Mike728 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-17, 01:25 PM   #21
abounly
Lexus Champion

I have Geico. When I turned 25 I gave them a call and said it doesn't really lower your insurance fee.
abounly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 07:27 AM   #22
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

my rates when down by a 1/3 when i turned 25 and that was with rip off overpriced Farmers
4TehNguyen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 08:42 PM   #23
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by abounly View Post
I have Geico. When I turned 25 I gave them a call and said it doesn't really lower your insurance fee.
Typically, GEICO rates change at age 30....but it depends on the specific driver and situation. That's when I first signed up with them, BTW....when I was 30. Basically, I switched from Allstate because GEICO offered me much lower rates (even with a relatively clean driving record at Allstate), was open around the clock on the phone (24 hours a day), and had a nice one-year policy instead of six months. Unfortunately, the 12-month policy didn't last long.....they switched to 6 months just a couple of years after I joined.
mmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-17, 10:58 AM   #24
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC300Es View Post
Maybe marry someone rich and turn 25?
fify. ............
bitkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-17, 07:10 PM   #25
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic

Wow. OMG. So sorry to hear about such a high insurance rate. I pay $1800ish per year for two cars and my other half pays $1500 for two cars. All my vehicles are long paid off. I also (knock on wood) having a very good driving record. I don't speed much anymore and I take it easy driving for the most part. To have an insurance rate this high, a driver must of done something rediculous, for that i hope they learn from it. It takes a long to bring your insurance costs down. I doubt a beater is going to make a huge difference.
LexsCTJill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-17, 07:30 PM   #26
PatrixUSA
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtray View Post
$649.00 That is how much I pay a month for full coverage on a 2013 Infiniti G37 S sedan. It used to be $1,012.00. But I spoke with a rep and messed around with some numbers and it lowered it to the current amount. He then told me that in June, one of my tickets will have passed some time frame where it no longer impacts my rate, and that it would then drop to ~$460.00.
Seriously? Just to confirm, you're paying $649 per month?, not per renewal period? Renewal periods are typically every six or twelve months. If you're paying every month, then this must be a month to month policy? This would mean you're paying over $7500 a year! Just wanted to validate as that is seriously crazy.

Not knowing the parameters of the policy, it would be tough to assess other than to say shop around, as there are many factors that impact premium price, as others have posted, geographic location, driving record, credit score, coverages, deductibles, policy limits, applicable discounts, etc.

Good luck and drive safe.
PatrixUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-17, 05:09 PM   #27
ArmyofOne
U.S. Army-Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW15LS View Post
Geico doesn't even offer the coverage levels other insurers do though, and they're quick to cancel with claims, etc.

Geico doesn't even offer coverage at the levels I use, and I can get coverage at the levels I need from other insurers for not much more money...
I don't know what kind of coverage levels you need, but I carry a $1,000,000 CSL policy through Geico, and an additional rider for $500,000 commercial collision damages. In addition to that I also have a large (7 figure) personal policy covering home, autos etc all under one plan. They have always covered whatever amount I have asked them to, so unless you are talking 8 figures here...I find that difficult to understand.
ArmyofOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-17, 05:57 PM   #28
SW15LS
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
I don't know what kind of coverage levels you need, but I carry a $1,000,000 CSL policy through Geico, and an additional rider for $500,000 commercial collision damages. In addition to that I also have a large (7 figure) personal policy covering home, autos etc all under one plan. They have always covered whatever amount I have asked them to, so unless you are talking 8 figures here...I find that difficult to understand.
Commercial lines are different, I'm talking ordinary consumer lines. I don't have any experience with their commercial lines, but I just got quotes from everybody for my car insurance and they couldn't offer me what I currently carry. Everyone else can.
SW15LS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-17, 06:11 PM   #29
ArmyofOne
U.S. Army-Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW15LS View Post
Commercial lines are different, I'm talking ordinary consumer lines. I don't have any experience with their commercial lines, but I just got quotes from everybody for my car insurance and they couldn't offer me what I currently carry. Everyone else can.
True, they are different, and it likely varies by state. Just seems odd that they couldn't be competitive. My personal policy coverages are high as well, because I don't like leaving anything to chance. What if I rear end a bentley? it could happen.
ArmyofOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-17, 06:14 PM   #30
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

If you switch to a cheaper beater for transportation (one you can buy with cash) then you can also drop the comprehensive coverage you have and switch to liability only with a higher deductible which should be significantly less cost.

comprehensive is generally required when you have a loan, so assume that's what you have.
DaveGS4 is offline   Reply With Quote