The Clubhouse The Clubhouse is an area where we can post topics on all kinds of things that are not necessarily related to 'Lexus'.

iPhone 8, X and beyond

Old 09-13-17, 11:48 AM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF View Post
People are already paying the 699 for the cheapest iPhone in the updated lineups and have been for years. The extra 300 dollars when you factor in that most people can split the phone into 24 payments makes the difference negligible.
maybe the extra $300 doesn't seem like much but it will add $12.50/mo. to a 24 mo. purchase plan, and total means over $40/mo. just for the phone... add in a $50 plan (AT LEAST) and many will be paying $90+/mo. for the X.

the X seems like a HUGE brave move and an excellent one to me. well done apple.

stupid huge top/bottom bezels and front home button were just out of date. the 8/8+ are offered though for those who don't or can't make the leap to the best, but also give apple users an option at renewal time without going over to 'the other side' lol

i am awaiting for pixel xl 2 from google (probably next month) but the X is the first iPhone i'd consider getting...
Old 09-13-17, 12:40 PM
bagwell
Lexus Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Carriers in the US all have different payment plan options and incentives in place for the iPhone X, so let’s focus on Apple’s own iPhone Upgrade Program. This is essentially a financing plan with 0% interest, so you can spread your payments out over 24 months instead of paying for iPhones in full up front. Then when a new iPhone comes out the following year, you can trade in your old one and get the new model at no additional cost, though your monthly payments may change depending on whether the new iPhone you get is more or less expensive.

If you’re a big Apple fan or just a general tech lover, you likely upgrade your iPhone each and every year. With that in mind, let’s look at what you’ll pay for your iPhone X.

If you opt for the 64GB iPhone X, your monthly payments will be $49.91. If you keep it for a full year before upgrading to a new iPhone, you’ll make 12 payments totalling just under $599 before returning the phone and swapping it out for a new one. Opt for the 256GB model instead, and you’ll pay about $674 over the course of a year. Since the iPhone X is launching late this year and is expected to be in short supply for several months following its release, people might even end up upgrading in fewer than 12 months and paying less than that.
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/iphone-x-...125141501.html
Old 09-13-17, 12:43 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The bezel is for people with thumbs. Most people read articles with the phone up and a thumb holding the bottom of the phone.
Old 09-13-17, 01:07 PM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Originally Posted by O. L. T. View Post
The bezel is for people with thumbs. Most people read articles with the phone up and a thumb holding the bottom of the phone.
i don't see anyone holding the phone with their thumb... maybe navigating with it, but most people hold a phone in the palm of their hand.

good article on this

https://www.uxmatters.com/mt/archive...le-devices.php

another enormous benefit of the X over the 8/7/6 is that the X has more screen than the 8/7/6 PLUS sizes while being barely any bigger than the tiny 4.7" screen regular 8/7/6.

Old 09-13-17, 01:31 PM
bagwell
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
another enormous benefit of the X over the 8/7/6 is that the X has more screen than the 8/7/6 PLUS sizes while being barely any bigger than the tiny 4.7" screen regular 8/7/6.
huge leap forward for iphone but I don't like the notch at the top; also, they're taking credit for the entire 5.8 when it's really not - it's actually closer to 5.5 when factoring the notch.....still as I said huge leap forward with the OLED, welcome to 2008 technology apple.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 09-14-17 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-13-17, 02:47 PM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Originally Posted by bagwell View Post
huge leap forward for iphone but I don't like the notch at the top.
well you either have a notch or you have a bezel across the top if you want a front camera, flash, etc. (like lg g6 among others). i think apple's approach was good, because the screen indicators (signals, notifications for mail, etc.) can go either side of the notch.

i don't like how the rear cameras stick out so much though.
Old 09-13-17, 09:21 PM
Draelren
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T. View Post
...who holds their phone with their thumb? That's for navigating the screen and scrolling.
Old 09-14-17, 08:00 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally Posted by Draelren View Post
...who holds their phone with their thumb? That's for navigating the screen and scrolling.
Who never stops moving? A.D.D. FTW! beyond the cat pictures and memes, there are articles.

Pics of real world use below, one with a skinny bezel. Having no bezel = another ridiculous "you're not holding it right" apple-ism.

picture credit: society for preservation of opposable thumbs
Attached Thumbnails iPhone 8, X and beyond-1-2.jpg   iPhone 8, X and beyond-1.jpg   iPhone 8, X and beyond-3.jpg  

Last edited by O. L. T.; 09-14-17 at 08:19 AM.
Old 09-15-17, 11:46 AM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

a great photo blog post about what the launch event and new steve jobs theater is like

https://www.recode.net/2017/9/13/162...e-event-photos
Old 09-15-17, 06:42 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

a great photo blog post about what the launch event and new steve jobs theater is like

That's a nice building.
Old 09-15-17, 07:03 PM
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

some really cool blog photos. I don't know how the new iPhone X will fare, it seems a little high priced. I must say, I do find it extraordinary to see the mega wealthy Apple executives next to the regular common folk.
Old 09-17-17, 12:15 PM
Hoovey2411

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill View Post
some really cool blog photos. I don't know how the new iPhone X will fare, it seems a little high priced. I must say, I do find it extraordinary to see the mega wealthy Apple executives next to the regular common folk.
It is. But believe me that won't stop people from buying it. A lot of enthusiasts 'have to have it'. Apple brand loyalty is like BMW, its mostly about the badge these days.

I seriously can't believe Apple hasn't made a 60" tv screen akin to their beautiful 27" displays. People would pays thousands for a giant screen with an Apple logo just cause. Untapped market Apple
Old 09-17-17, 06:49 PM
bagwell
Lexus Fanatic

well you either have a notch or you have a bezel across the top if you want a front camera, flash, etc. (like lg g6 among others). i think apple's approach was good, because the screen indicators (signals, notifications for mail, etc.) can go either side of the notch.

i don't like how the rear cameras stick out so much though.
I'd prefer to have the screen indicators on both side of the the notch blacked out, just looks strange to me with the notch in the display. I'd photoshop something to show you but I'm too lazy

oh and with a case the camera lens/flash sticking out will be fine.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411 View Post
It is. But believe me that won't stop people from buying it. A lot of enthusiasts 'have to have it'. Apple brand loyalty is like BMW, its mostly about the badge these days.

I seriously can't believe Apple hasn't made a 60" tv screen akin to their beautiful 27" displays. People would pays thousands for a giant screen with an Apple logo just cause. Untapped market Apple
true, people will buy it.

and re an apple 60" apple tv - apple could/would introduce a 60" 720p "retina display" tv for $5000 and people would buy it just because its apple, LOL!

Last edited by bagwell; 09-18-17 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-17-17, 09:01 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

If it were an apple tv it would have 4 year old technology, but a GREAT menu and pretty display numbers when you changed channels. People would complain about the tv and apple would tell them they are not watching it correctly. Probably suggest FOX viewing positions.
Old 09-20-17, 10:33 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

didn't want to start a new thread, but just installed iOS 11 on my iPhone 5S. It runs same same as 10.3.3. There's a cool feature called app offloading, where it would save your files and data for the app, but the application will not take up any non-volatile memory space. the app link would remain and it would redownloaded when you use it. I think it would be beneficial for apps that you seldom use but don't want to completely wipe out and save some memory space.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: iPhone 8, X and beyond

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: