iPhone 8, X and beyond - Page 24 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

The Clubhouse The Clubhouse is an area where we can post topics on all kinds of things that are not necessarily related to 'Lexus'.

iPhone 8, X and beyond

 
Old 02-11-19, 12:47 PM
  #346  
jrmckinley
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: fl
Posts: 1,295
Thanked 54 Times in 53 Posts
Default

^^ Good info on the X vs the XS. My wife really wants to upgrade from her 8 to something that has portrait mode so I'll tell her to ask Verizon if they have the X. I still have a 6S that I love but Apple is starting to target me on Twitter with attractive promo's for the XR. Any comments on the differences or benefits of the XR when compared to the X?
jrmckinley is offline  
Old 02-11-19, 02:00 PM
  #347  
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
iTrader: (20)
 
bitkahuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Present
Posts: 55,015
Thanked 58 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Congrats. Agreed very little between x and xs... xs has faster newer processor but most will never notice any difference.
the x was the first iphone i could see myself using.
bitkahuna is offline  
Old 02-11-19, 04:31 PM
  #348  
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
iTrader: (17)
 
O. L. T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: My little world
Posts: 33,809
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jrmckinley View Post
^^ Good info on the X vs the XS. My wife really wants to upgrade from her 8 to something that has portrait mode so I'll tell her to ask Verizon if they have the X. I still have a 6S that I love but Apple is starting to target me on Twitter with attractive promo's for the XR. Any comments on the differences or benefits of the XR when compared to the X?
The reason I don’t like the “budget” Xr is not because of what it is or does/doesn’t do, but the same reason Jeremy Clarkson doesn’t like the mid range Porsche 911. It was built to a price and could have been better. They could have put more into it feature wise in the software and cut it short so it wouldn’t compete with the XS/max. With budget built anything it will always run into walls that were put up to stop it from being better. Somehow Apple will stop you from doing something you want to do that the Xr SHOULD be able to do, but isn’t allowed. Likely in software features on IOS 13. I’d be concerned about future more than present with the Xr. I can’t give you a good reason not to buy it other than you can get an X from verizon at deep discount through the website if the store doesn’t have one locally. At least you know the X was designed to do all it can in future updates. For me wanting the smallest footprint possible, the Xr is too bulky.
O. L. T. is offline  
Old 02-11-19, 04:56 PM
  #349  
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
iTrader: (17)
 
O. L. T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: My little world
Posts: 33,809
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Here's Note 8, iPhone 8 plus, iPhone X size wise.


O. L. T. is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 07:05 AM
  #350  
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ON
Posts: 11,262
Thanked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by O. L. T. View Post
Here's Note 8, iPhone 8 plus, iPhone X size wise.

Nice collection of phones you got there.

Hows the X so far?
LexsCTJill is online now  
Old 02-12-19, 07:18 AM
  #351  
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
iTrader: (20)
 
bitkahuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Present
Posts: 55,015
Thanked 58 Times in 50 Posts
Default

love how the x screen is bigger than 8plus's but the phone is WAY smaller.

also, about x vs xr, the big difference is x and xs used oled screens where xr uses ips lcd. the xr is still a great phone but the screen is noticeably better on x and xs.
bitkahuna is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 10:13 AM
  #352  
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ON
Posts: 11,262
Thanked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
the xr is still a great phone but the screen is noticeably better on x and xs.
There are other problems with the XR. There is no dual camera, no force 3D touch (one of my favorite features), only human portraits as objects are locked out. Screen like you said. All for more money than the 8 plus which has the same screen but more features.
LexsCTJill is online now  
Old 02-12-19, 11:34 AM
  #353  
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
iTrader: (17)
 
O. L. T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: My little world
Posts: 33,809
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill View Post
Nice collection of phones you got there.

Hows the X so far?
Last night i enabled the virtual home button to compare the difference and it was no less annnoying than anything else. I have this issue with my note 8. You either have to make effort or you don’t so no matter if it’s a swipe or press you’re still making an effort. That is my complaint about the note 8 virtual home button. You have to find it and press it specifically. A regular home button isn’t as taxing to hit and use. Because of that i quickly turned it off so I wouldn’t get in the habit of looking for it and i just went back to the gestures. It was an easy adjustment to learn to use the X, yet it still isn’t any easier to do. After a year with my note 8 it was no less easy to use because the lack of physical home button is what it is. It’s always an effort to find it and use it.

I’m typing this on the 8 plus because of the large screen real estate. It’s quite a difference. When I’m at home i prefer the plus. On the road i got what i wanted in a smaller phone that’s easier to carry in the pocket. I can’t use the X as fast as the plus because all the gestures slow you down. You have to pause to close apps, have to lift and look at the phone to open it up. Everything takes longer. On the plus i can reach blindly and hit the home button, open the phone, close ten apps, and lock it back in 3 seconds flat. I like speed, I’ve had every iphone from release day to current and i can go as fast as the phone can. The X slows me down and complicates the experience. Everything i thought about it before having it came true.

Still worth it? Yeah i like the things about it that are considered it’s key points. The screen and size are great, cameras and performance are the same as the plus so really those two points are the only reason to have one. There seems to be a better comparison for which phone to buy between the plus and the max. You’d only choose between the plus and X based on size. You’d choose between the plus and max based off screen and IMO the plus screen is excellent and does fine. The max screen IS much prettier, but again you have to be willing to work harder and slower to buy the Max over the plus. While the max has better specs, again the plus and X haven’t been maxxed out by any apps currently so you’re getting imaginary performance promises that do not yet exist. I’d personally buy the plus. Everything about it is easier, faster, and cheaper. All the accessories and cases are less expensive that integrate to the plus specifically.

So the X, slower to use, harder to use.... thanks to complicated precise gestures. Best phone to have for size and screen.
So for the plus, can do no wrong. Fastest user experience of any phone apple makes.
So for the max, only consider if you prefer the screen over the plus. No other real world perk.


Last edited by O. L. T.; 02-12-19 at 11:38 AM.
O. L. T. is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 11:49 AM
  #354  
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ON
Posts: 11,262
Thanked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by O. L. T. View Post
Last night i enabled the virtual home button to compare the difference and it was no less annnoying than anything else.

Thought I would just mention about the virtual button, its not to replace the home button for regular able bodied persons. It was designed for those who have a problem (disability maybe) who have difficulty using the home button or swipe, and gestures. For example, if somebody is one handed, they will not be able to use the notification swipe as easily as someone who can hold the phone with right hand, and swipe down with their left index. Also, if a person is one handed, it would in impossible to use their two fingers to swipe down on the screen while holding the phone.

Originally Posted by O. L. T. View Post


I’m typing this on the 8 plus because of the large screen real estate. It’s quite a difference. When I’m at home i prefer the plus. On the road i got what i wanted in a smaller phone that’s easier to carry in the pocket. I can’t use the X as fast as the plus because all the gestures slow you down. You have to pause to close apps, have to lift and look at the phone to open it up. Everything takes longer. On the plus i can reach blindly and hit the home button, open the phone, close ten apps, and lock it back in 3 seconds flat. I like speed, I’ve had every iphone from release day to current and i can go as fast as the phone can. The X slows me down and complicates the experience. Everything i thought about it before having it came true.

Still worth it? Yeah i like the things about it that are considered it’s key points. The screen and size are great, cameras and performance are the same as the plus so really those two points are the only reason to have one. There seems to be a better comparison for which phone to buy between the plus and the max. You’d only choose between the plus and X based on size. You’d choose between the plus and max based off screen and IMO the plus screen is excellent and does fine. The max screen IS much prettier, but again you have to be willing to work harder and slower to buy the Max over the plus. While the max has better specs, again the plus and X haven’t been maxxed out by any apps currently so you’re getting imaginary performance promises that do not yet exist. I’d personally buy the plus. Everything about it is easier, faster, and cheaper. All the accessories and cases are less expensive that integrate to the plus specifically.

So the X, slower to use, harder to use.... thanks to complicated precise gestures. Best phone to have for size and screen.
So for the plus, can do no wrong. Fastest user experience of any phone apple makes.
So for the max, only consider if you prefer the screen over the plus. No other real world perk.


Interesting write up. I think Apple made a mistake with user experience with their new phones with out the home button. They jacked the price up and made it possible more difficult to use.

Do you use the 3D force touch? by far my favorite feature, very few people know about it.

Last edited by LexsCTJill; 02-12-19 at 11:52 AM.
LexsCTJill is online now  
Old 02-12-19, 12:00 PM
  #355  
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
iTrader: (20)
 
bitkahuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Present
Posts: 55,015
Thanked 58 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill View Post
Do you use the 3D force touch? by far my favorite feature, very few people know about it.
i like apple products, but HATED the 3d force touch. i found it almost impossible to use because some things required one level of 'force' and others required more force, and i could never figure out which was for what, and gave up.

like you say, very few people know about it, because it's totally un-intuitive, and i bet hardly anyone uses it. but glad it works for you!
bitkahuna is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 12:05 PM
  #356  
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ON
Posts: 11,262
Thanked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
i like apple products, but HATED the 3d force touch. i found it almost impossible to use because some things required one level of 'force' and others required more force, and i could never figure out which was for what, and gave up.
!
Which Apple product? You can turn it off completely.
LexsCTJill is online now  
Old 02-12-19, 02:00 PM
  #357  
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
iTrader: (20)
 
bitkahuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Present
Posts: 55,015
Thanked 58 Times in 50 Posts
Default

tried it on 6s and x.
bitkahuna is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 02:03 PM
  #358  
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ON
Posts: 11,262
Thanked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
tried it on 6s and x.
Interesting. You can turn it off. I do not like the force touch on my husbands Macbook Pro. it is far too sensitive. Annoying to use. I find the deletion of the feature on the XR a bad move. Do you use the long press on your Google phone?
LexsCTJill is online now  
Old 02-12-19, 03:55 PM
  #359  
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
iTrader: (17)
 
O. L. T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: My little world
Posts: 33,809
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill View Post

Thought I would just mention about the virtual button, its not to replace the home button for regular able bodied persons. It was designed for those who have a problem (disability maybe) who have difficulty using the home button or swipe, and gestures.
Its a home button for whatever you wanna use a home button for.

My note has dual home buttons, which is nice. Like on the iphone you can move them around anywhere you want. Convenient.... still hate them.
O. L. T. is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 03:57 PM
  #360  
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
iTrader: (17)
 
O. L. T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: My little world
Posts: 33,809
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
i like apple products, but HATED the 3d force touch. i found it almost impossible to use because some things required one level of 'force' and others required more force, and i could never figure out which was for what, and gave up.

like you say, very few people know about it, because it's totally un-intuitive, and i bet hardly anyone uses it. but glad it works for you!
i have an option to adjust force touch in ios 12 to whatever level i want, but idk how long that setting has been available. Side note, i just noticed on the screen shot that the software fills in the blank for the notch. That was taken on my X.






O. L. T. is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: iPhone 8, X and beyond


Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: