I think I'm becoming a knife guy. - Club Lexus Forums

I think I'm becoming a knife guy.

Old 01-05-16, 04:52 PM   #1
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Smile I think I'm becoming a knife guy.

In order:

1) Benchmade Nakamura 484-1
2) Cold Steel Code 4 (newer version with the upgraded steel)
3) Benchmade 9050

Looking to add a Spyderco next. I'm thinking Paramilitary 2 or the Manix 2.
Seize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-16, 06:27 PM   #2
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

All three of them use cutting edge technology.
mmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-16, 07:32 PM   #3
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

My wife has a nice little collection (and she's given me a couple). Three of hers are in her toolbox which isn't at our house right now - will take pics once it's back.

Think most of the brands we have are Kershaw, Zero Tolerance and Quartermaster (Zero Tolerance is her favorite). I've got a couple of functional cheaper varieties I keep in the car / truck.

Waiting for RA40 to come in and go over the top with his custom stuff
DaveGS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-16, 09:18 PM   #4
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Fanatic

A post with some OG'S I like it 2001 2002 2003 2004
LEXUS_KID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-16, 09:51 PM   #5
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

I have a couple knives, nothing special, Bucks, Boker's and Gerber's, still have the classic wood handle buck knife my uncle gave me for my Christmas when I was 13.

Only knife I really want is the boot knife Kurt Russell had in "Big Trouble in Little China".
UDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-16, 08:08 PM   #6
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Not as nicely photographed as Seize's , just a quick iPhone pic

From top left down
  • Quartermaster Karambit
  • Benchmade 755 Shane Sibert MPR
  • Kershaw 2001 ST Rogue Automatic
  • Zero Tolerance 0350ST (Ken Onion design for both ZT)
  • Zero Tolerance 0350TSST S30V (tiger stripe)
Top right down
  • 2X Spyderco Tenacious (car and truck knives)
  • Kershaw 1555 BW
  • Kershaw 2415 ST
Missing a Kershaw Tanto

Old 01-09-16, 10:19 PM   #7
RA40

Fun to see a knifeaholic. The Benchmades, Spyderco and Kershaws are excellent knives as well as many others available. They are great working tools.

One of my early pieces from '99 is a daily carry. That one has been used it to scribe steel, dig out termites, cut many types of materials for DIY projects then mild uses like food stuffs or cardboard boxes. (I'll take a pic of it tomorrow to show how beat it is after all these years.

This is a stone handled piece that I kept for myself. This one dates back to about '03 or so. Devin Thomas raindrop 1095/nickel damascus blade and bolsters. 6-4 titanium and handled in "Wyoming jade".

In October come up to Anaheim for the Plaza Cutlery Knife Show that is for custom-handmade knives. Some dealers will also have production knives available.

http://www.californiacustomknifeshow.com/
RA40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-16, 10:05 AM   #8
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarshall View Post
All three of them use cutting edge technology.
No kidding! I've cut myself numerous times now just playing with them. Luckily for me, nothing serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDel View Post
I have a couple knives, nothing special, Bucks, Boker's and Gerber's, still have the classic wood handle buck knife my uncle gave me for my Christmas when I was 13.

Only knife I really want is the boot knife Kurt Russell had in "Big Trouble in Little China".
It's always nice to have something of sentimental value.
As far Big Trouble In Little China is concerned. I love that movie, one of those movies I can watch over and over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEXUS_KID View Post
A post with some OG'S I like it 2001 2002 2003 2004
You know how we do

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGS4 View Post
Not as nicely photographed as Seize's , just a quick iPhone pic
Nice! I really like the ZT300 series. I handled a few a while back and it just seemed a bit large for me. As far as Spydercos are concerned, I love the ergos on them. I don't think I've ever handled a Spyderco that didn't feel good in hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RA40 View Post
Fun to see a knifeaholic. The Benchmades, Spyderco and Kershaws are excellent knives as well as many others available. They are great working tools.

One of my early pieces from '99 is a daily carry. That one has been used it to scribe steel, dig out termites, cut many types of materials for DIY projects then mild uses like food stuffs or cardboard boxes. (I'll take a pic of it tomorrow to show how beat it is after all these years.

This is a stone handled piece that I kept for myself. This one dates back to about '03 or so. Devin Thomas raindrop 1095/nickel damascus blade and bolsters. 6-4 titanium and handled in "Wyoming jade".

In October come up to Anaheim for the Plaza Cutlery Knife Show that is for custom-handmade knives. Some dealers will also have production knives available.

http://www.californiacustomknifeshow.com/
That's a really nice blade. Would something like that be considered what they call a full custom?
Oh and good looking out on the show. If I have some free time in October I'll try to make it up there.
Old 01-10-16, 10:43 AM   #9
RA40

Yes, a full on custom/handmade piece.

This one if from Shun Fujikawa a maker in Japan. The black lip pearl inlay is embellished in the style of Maki-e. Maki-e is powdered gold and or silver that is layered to achieve the dimensional effect.

Some really stunning pieces in the knife, pen industry and this art work is being seen in other non-traditional applications. This one is a basic, some very elaborate scenes have been depicted on traditional Japanese works. There is debate among the traditionalist Maki-e artists that the artwork is not for western pieces.
Old 01-10-16, 07:18 PM   #10
RA40

The daily beater piece from '99 that has performed well. ATS-34 blade, imitation tortoise celluloid handle scales, heat treated 420 stainless bolsters with 611 titanium liners.

Backstrap liners:
Old 01-12-16, 09:48 AM   #11
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RA40 View Post
Yes, a full on custom/handmade piece.

This one if from Shun Fujikawa a maker in Japan. The black lip pearl inlay is embellished in the style of Maki-e. Maki-e is powdered gold and or silver that is layered to achieve the dimensional effect.

Some really stunning pieces in the knife, pen industry and this art work is being seen in other non-traditional applications. This one is a basic, some very elaborate scenes have been depicted on traditional Japanese works. There is debate among the traditionalist Maki-e artists that the artwork is not for western pieces.
Wow! Very nice! I'm not even going to ask how much. The artistry, attention to detail and build quality is obviously very evident on that blade
Old 01-12-16, 03:09 PM   #12
Chocolate
Lexus Test Driver

Anyone ever try a wave knife? It has a protrusion on the knife that acts as an opening feature as you take it out of your pocket. It's an Emerson patent and a very clever idea. It's on the Spyderco Delica Wave. I like the rounded hole that Spydercos have, makes opening the knife much easier. Interesting that they also got a patent for a rounded hole, only Spyderco knives have this feature.

It's my one "nice" knife I own.
Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-16, 04:15 PM   #13
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Cool looking knife but I'm pretty sure I'd cut myself most of the time getting it out of my pocket . I really like the automatic feature on my Kershaw 2001 above vs others. Don't think they sell it anymore, but they have similar ones.

Here's a vid that shows it
Old 01-12-16, 05:50 PM   #14
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

I used to be into knives for a little while. Still have some NIB rare Spydercos. Checked the prices lately and looks like I'd be making a little cash if I sold them today compared to how low prices were back then.
97-SC300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-16, 10:53 PM   #15
Chocolate
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGS4 View Post
Cool looking knife but I'm pretty sure I'd cut myself most of the time getting it out of my pocket . I really like the automatic feature on my Kershaw 2001 above vs others. Don't think they sell it anymore, but they have similar ones.

Here's a vid that shows it
Kershaw Rogue Automatic Knife 2001, Black Plain EdgeBlade, KE2001CKT - YouTube
Where you hold the handle is opposite from where the blade deploys so it's pretty easy to use the wave feature. The benefit of this style is that you can actually carry it in Maryland (about the only thing you can carry here). Unfortunately you can't legally carry an Automatic in MD.
Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote