I think I'm becoming a knife guy. - Page 2 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > General Forums > The Clubhouse
I think I'm becoming a knife guy. >

I think I'm becoming a knife guy.

Notices
The Clubhouse The Clubhouse is an area where we can post topics on all kinds of things that are not necessarily related to 'Lexus'.

I think I'm becoming a knife guy.

Old 01-19-16, 09:10 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Some handmades from my photo collection:

Mel Nishiuchi (NV) stone handled folder

Stan Fujisaka (HI) deceased

Last edited by RA40; 03-24-16 at 10:59 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 01-19-16, 09:17 PM
Fromthesha
Rookie

I am a big fan of the esee brand. I have 2. I have others but they are my favorite . Only folders I have that I like are a big CRKT and a Kershaw Skyline.

Idomt have anything fancy and handmade, but the beatiful pics onthis thread have my wheels turning

...and some much needed fixed blade love...

Last edited by Fromthesha; 01-26-16 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-20-16, 05:43 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Seeing all of these nice knives makes me want to start collecting them. I have a few random ones laying around but nothing special.

I really like the three that Seize posted.
Old 01-24-16, 11:00 PM
djyoshi626
Lexus Champion

Nice knives! Making me want to want to expand mine... although my next EDC blade will probably be a karambit.

Here is mine (stock photo):
Southern Grind Bad Monkey

Old 02-01-16, 01:54 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

The other day I was using my beater and dropped it. Hit the bolster at just the right spot and sheared off the socket head screws. Got one out but the one is stuck in the liner. Drilling out an 0-80 is frustrating. The drill bit runs out and won't grab center of the screw portion so it wanders. I could build up another but I'm not into knifemaking these days.

Been looking at Benchmades to fulfill the EDC role for the time being. The Nakamura looks good that Seize has in his post. A William Henry would be great as well but those are some $$.
Old 03-23-16, 06:21 PM
tecman
Lexus Champion

Default Knife Gift Help..

My brothers 50th birthday is May 13 and we don't usually do gifts. I am thinking a cool auto knife and I am torn on the multiple options. I am looking to spend max $400 and need advice. Benchmade has many models in my price range.
http://www.bladehq.com/cat--Benchmade-Auto--48

Sugestions please..

My worth mentioning collection.

Old school switch blade, Money clip Spyderco, recently bought CRKT (meh,no spring assist). And what I carried for a while recently, but too large for me in the front pocket.

The cheap OTF was nice, but I needed something comfortable in the pocket when bending down with jeans or shorts. The Microtech UTX70 works well for me. After carrying the larger OTF, I miss the power along with intimidation if I have to use this for protection.
Old 03-23-16, 09:17 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

I would suggest a Chris Reeve Sebenza though these aren't auto's. $400 is a good entry point for a handmade by custom makers too.

This older piece of Allen's.

http://www.arizonacustomknives.com/g...msPerPage%3D48
Old 03-24-16, 11:19 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

A drive dig from the photo collection. Gary Blanchard button lock folder with engraved tropical fish. Knife is ~$3,200 on the conservative side.

Shot this one on film so the look is pretty different.

Last edited by RA40; 03-24-16 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-25-16, 08:29 PM
tecman
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RA40 View Post
I would suggest a Chris Reeve Sebenza though these aren't auto's. $400 is a good entry point for a handmade by custom makers too.

This older piece of Allen's.

http://www.arizonacustomknives.com/g...msPerPage%3D48
Thanks for the link RA40. It seems that I can't get an impressive auto without spending more than $400. I don't want to buy a bland black grip so looking for something unusual and impressive. Looks like my max cost is higher and I am running out of time. Here is what I found that I like, but I ask if something like this is actually functional? Would you feel comfortable using this on a daily basis? I don't want to buy my brother a knife that he will leave in a drawer thinking it is a delicate work of art. I maybe better off buying a cheaper auto that he will not be so concerned with using along with theft or loosing it.

$995 cost

http://www.arizonacustomknives.com/m...msPerPage%3D12
Old 03-26-16, 01:13 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

They are meant to be used but unfortunately many are safe queens. Dagger/dirks in that shape are typically not as good EDC tools. Typical drop points fulfill a wide range of duties from cutting boxes to light hunting chores. That would be my suggestion for a blade shape.

"Flippers" are the going trend among non-assisted folders. Many states have laws concerning an auto opening knife so these "flippers" are easy to carry and not run a foul of laws except in blade length.

There are many choices in a range of price points and the $500-$1K is pretty a good range for a solid performing knife. Arizona Custom Knives is a good shop and I would also recommend this one:
http://www.nordicknives.com/index.php
Old 03-29-16, 11:25 AM
GRJFER
Driver School Candidate

A guy always needs a good knife. Here are a couple of my EDC knives. Spyderco dragonfly, ESEE IZULA, and Leatherman skeletool.

Old 04-01-16, 06:03 PM
tecman
Lexus Champion

LOL I am still banging my head against the wall and looking for a nice side auto. I did check my state laws and as of 2012 we can carry any type of knife under 5 inches, that requires a concealed carry permit and my brother does have one. I can buy a custom Benchmade with his initials on it along with 50th for $200, but an auto is not an option

Maybe this?
Old 04-07-16, 08:18 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

If I recall correctly Pat Crawford made the glove-knife that Freddy wore in Nightmare on Elm Street. Maybe back in the early 90's I saw it on display at one of the larger knife shows.

Some drive digs of past photo's

A Gil Hibben piece:

Bill Cheatham "Chipped flint" small utility:

Dennis Friiedly and Linda Karst daggar:

Stan Fujisaka and Linda Karst:

Mel Nishiuchi damascus fodler with stone inlay:

Last edited by RA40; 04-07-16 at 09:19 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 04-22-16, 07:38 PM
tecman
Lexus Champion

Default Done and happy with my purchase.

I went back to Benchmades site and filled out a form for an auto. This is a tactical piece.

6800 with lasermarking handle and initials on the blade. I thought it was a difficult knife to open when I received it. Hard pressure was needed with one button release, but using both buttons was ok. I have opened and closed it probably 500 times now and love it. I either broke it in or got acclimated to it. One complaint I have with carrying it in the front pants is the handle grip along with the clip makes it difficult to pull out. Probably an issue with it tucked in any where with the clip too.

Premium price paid with buying directly from Benchmade, $280 ($250 elsewhere) and then the lasermarking @ $50 plus shipping.

It also has some of my blood on it while closing it, so a nice brotherly touch

Last edited by tecman; 04-23-16 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-13-16, 03:59 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

For any So. Cal peeps or those who may want the drive to a knife show:
The Plaza Cutlery Knife Show in Anaheim will be October 22-23'rd.
http://www.californiacustomknifeshow.com/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I think I'm becoming a knife guy.

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: