Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > General Forums > The Clubhouse
so is there no possible way to tell if a cellphone is financed and has a balance??!! >

so is there no possible way to tell if a cellphone is financed and has a balance??!!

The Clubhouse The Clubhouse is an area where we can post topics on all kinds of things that are not necessarily related to 'Lexus'.

so is there no possible way to tell if a cellphone is financed and has a balance??!!

Old 09-09-15, 06:33 AM
bagwell
Lexus Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default so is there no possible way to tell if a cellphone is financed and has a balance??!!

seems as tho carriers will just tell you if the IMEI is ok to activate or is blocked....they will not give you info on whether money is still owed on the phone.

So idiot buys phone at Sprint and finances it - he then turns around and sells it for $500 cash and never makes a payment on the phone and it eventually gets blacklisted.

With the exception of checking the IMEI (again which will only indicate if it's ok to activate) there's no way to verify it's paid off, I can't believe the industry can't/won't fix this.

Last edited by bagwell; 09-09-15 at 07:36 AM.
Old 09-09-15, 08:27 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

i never understood the whole financing a phone thing
Old 09-09-15, 08:43 AM
BrettJacks
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Supposedly you can check on Swappa. But I agree, it's shady. And even if it's not financed, if they have insurance on it, they can still report it stolen to get their $$$ and the carrier/insurance will blacklist it.

I bought my Nexus 6 on Swappa in June and so far the seller seems to be clean.

i never understood the whole financing a phone thing

We're basically the only country that uses the contract or phone financing model. Some know what they're getting into and are OK with it(as it is often at 0%). Others are completely ignorant of the fact and assume they're really getting their iPhone for $99, not realizing that the rest of the $700 is built into their monthly payments.

The new lease programs are a little more honest about what you're paying for, at least. I just buy my phones outright, and usually NOT from the carrier.
Old 09-09-15, 09:59 AM
bagwell
Lexus Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks View Post
Supposedly you can check on Swappa.

Does Swappa guarantee the results of the ESN Check service?

No, we cannot guarantee the results of our ESN Check service, but we do our best to interpret and present the results as accurately as possible. Please read the terms and disclaimer.
I emailed Swappa about the financed phone issue... they said...

You can actually tell if the device is still financed by calling the carrier. If you do find out it is financed, a return is warranted unless the seller pays off the device.

Not to worry on the blacklisting of the phone as you are covered by PayPal for 180 days after the sale in accordance with their protection policies.
No carrier will give you info about someone else's phone without their account info (name + PIN?)

I'm betting that just supplying the IMEI/ESN to the original carrier doesn't give the account holder's info...it will just indicate if the phone can be activated.
Old 09-09-15, 10:24 AM
Allen K
Epic Allen

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If they gave out financing info, it would make it easier to buy phones outside of their outlets and they wouldn't want to help their consumers like that...
Old 09-19-15, 11:14 AM
LexRuger
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

The only way to be safe is to go into a store with the seller and have the rep verbally tell you nothing is owed on the phone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: so is there no possible way to tell if a cellphone is financed and has a balance??!!

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: