Home Repair/Maintenance Forums? - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion


The Clubhouse The Clubhouse is an area where we can post topics on all kinds of things that are not necessarily related to 'Lexus'.

Home Repair/Maintenance Forums?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-19-15, 08:52 AM   #1
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
IXI187IXI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philly
Posts: 8,386
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Home Repair/Maintenance Forums?

just curious if anyone is on any home repair/maintenance forums? I know there is probably a ton out there but just wanted to get an idea from other members if they like one forum over another or found one that has good info. I recently bought my first house and would like to start researching and reading any much as possible on any issues just so i can get a well rounded idea on how to fix/repair any issues i come across. Thanks!
IXI187IXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-15, 09:37 AM   #2
geko29
Oil Burner
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: IL
Posts: 3,813
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I do most of my research for "home" topics on The Gardenweb. Not an officia" endorsement, just my own preference. I've used it for research on appliances, kitchen design, that sort of stuff, but there's a "Home Repair" section there as well.

Format/layout is not great, IMO, but I've always found good info.
geko29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-15, 10:11 AM   #3
GS3Tek
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: so cal
Posts: 11,658
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default

I've done some readings on this forum in the past.

I like it, but then again, I'm not there much.

http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/
GS3Tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-15, 10:26 AM   #4
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
IXI187IXI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philly
Posts: 8,386
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

thanks guys!

the 2 ive been eye are:
http://www.houserepairtalk.com/forum.php
http://www.homerepairforum.com/forum/forum.php

the layouts look pretty good and they appear to cover a broad range of topics. just want to start reading random threads to get an idea of issue and solutions
IXI187IXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-15, 05:26 PM   #5
Individual
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (7)
 
Individual's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Lakewood, CA
Posts: 1,659
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Congrats on your home purchase.

My wife and I bought our first home a few months ago as well, and we like to tackle certain projects on our own. I finished removing all the popcorn texture from all of the ceilings, along with doing other stuff, thanks to searching on such forums.

Thanks for the links, one of them is actually not blocked from my work
Individual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-15, 04:29 AM   #6
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
IXI187IXI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philly
Posts: 8,386
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Individual View Post
Congrats on your home purchase.

My wife and I bought our first home a few months ago as well, and we like to tackle certain projects on our own. I finished removing all the popcorn texture from all of the ceilings, along with doing other stuff, thanks to searching on such forums.

Thanks for the links, one of them is actually not blocked from my work
congrats to you as well!

yea i already ran into a few small issues but my brother in law is pretty handy and has helped me plus i work in a construction company as a detailer so i have a ton of resources at work i can bounce things off of as well too.
IXI187IXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-15, 07:12 PM   #7
LazarusLng
Pole Position
 
LazarusLng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MI
Posts: 226
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

A word of advice. If you don't know how to do something, don't fake it. It will only frustrate the guy who comes along after you. I am currently in the middle of a remodeling project on my house. Approx 700sqft. master bedroom. The previous owner had done some work, new windows, insulation, drywall, and electrical on the two exterior walls. The drywall was poorly done, the insulation was also done wrong, and the framing that was attempted for the new windows was a joke. Wiring was safe, but the outlets were too close to the floor, and not spaced out properly. The windows seemed like decent quality, but it turns out that the glass packs have leaked, so I need to replace the sashes. I was not planning on redoing all of that when I started. It has turned into a total tear out, but when its done, it will practically be new.
LazarusLng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-15, 03:48 AM   #8
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
IXI187IXI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philly
Posts: 8,386
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazarusLng View Post
A word of advice. If you don't know how to do something, don't fake it. It will only frustrate the guy who comes along after you. I am currently in the middle of a remodeling project on my house. Approx 700sqft. master bedroom. The previous owner had done some work, new windows, insulation, drywall, and electrical on the two exterior walls. The drywall was poorly done, the insulation was also done wrong, and the framing that was attempted for the new windows was a joke. Wiring was safe, but the outlets were too close to the floor, and not spaced out properly. The windows seemed like decent quality, but it turns out that the glass packs have leaked, so I need to replace the sashes. I was not planning on redoing all of that when I started. It has turned into a total tear out, but when its done, it will practically be new.
i agree. im the first to admit when i dont know something. it will cost more to fix if i mess it up more
IXI187IXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-15, 05:31 PM   #9
LazarusLng
Pole Position
 
LazarusLng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MI
Posts: 226
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXI187IXI View Post
i agree. im the first to admit when i dont know something. it will cost more to fix if i mess it up more
I figured as much. Most people who attempt to do things that they have no clue about, aren't going to seek knowledge on their own. Do you have any projects in mind? Or are you just preparing for when something happens?
LazarusLng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-15, 04:47 AM   #10
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
IXI187IXI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philly
Posts: 8,386
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazarusLng View Post
I figured as much. Most people who attempt to do things that they have no clue about, aren't going to seek knowledge on their own. Do you have any projects in mind? Or are you just preparing for when something happens?
just preparing for when something happens. almost everything in the house is new to newer so its really just keeping up with the maintenance of things. i did have an issue over the weekend though with water coming through the water in my basement. its 90% a finished basement minus a little section closed off for the washer/dryer/furnace/hot water heater. long story short with all the freezing rain we had, something backed up behind my neighbors central air unit and i had some seepage coming through a mortar joint. easy fix but just want to read up on all kinds of things to help extended my knowledge. i spent years and years on car forums to learn everything so now that i have a house, i think its time to make a switch over
IXI187IXI is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clearing Navi IXI187IXI GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) 5 08-02-11 12:37 PM
04'-06' LS430 or Mercedes CLS500/550 ?? TrueLexLov LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) 39 01-13-11 05:10 AM
Yearly repair/maintenance costs? prwdmd GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) 14 10-14-10 11:35 AM
What To Do With Extra Headlights? IXI187IXI GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) 15 02-11-10 11:08 AM
Getting Booze on A Cruise Ship IXI187IXI The Clubhouse 23 11-20-09 09:43 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:15 AM.


Copyright © 2000-2017 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: