The Clubhouse The Clubhouse is an area where we can post topics on all kinds of things that are not necessarily related to 'Lexus'.

Official iPhone 6 thread...

Old 10-30-13, 06:53 PM
BrettJacks
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the 5C would sell better if it either had a lower price point or offered something drastically different that the 5S doesn't have(plastic case doesn't count, people obviously prefer the aluminum based on sales).
Old 10-30-13, 06:54 PM
geko29
Oil Burner

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L- View Post
I believe Apple shouldn't have made the 5c. Cheapening the iPhone isn't the answer IMO. Instead, offer two sizes, both premium. I think it would be huge for Apple to have the 4" at $199, and have a 5" at $299. Both the same exact phone just different size and a bigger battery for the 5 incher.
Price-wise, that's exactly what they did. The 5c isn't "cheap" like everyone expected, it's priced in the same neighborhood as top-tier devices like the HTC One, Lumia 925, and Moto X, and within spitting distance (with capacity being the main price differentiator) of jesus phones like the Lumia 1020 and LG G2. None of those are year-old tech like the 5c (whose primary differentiator from my 09/12 iPhone 5 is its less-expensive materials and manufacturing process), and all are price-competitive.

I guess you could say they went cheap on production, but they certainly didn't target the low end of the market with the 5c. They're still shooting for the premium crowd, just taking a different tack on it.
Old 10-30-13, 07:51 PM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L- View Post
I think the only way Apple gives us a 5" screen is if it is one of two iPhones. I've said for years that they need to offer two sizes. Phone's aren't a one size fits all item yet Apple continues to build just one. A majority of iPhone buyers would like a bigger screen, but a lot wouldn't want more than the current 4".
until the 5s/5c (2 phones) apple was still selling the smaller 4s as well as the 5. apple has offered two phone sizes before that too with 3gs and 4.

i would expect the 6 will be bigger plus the 5s/5c, giving 3 phones at 2 sizes.

Originally Posted by geko29 View Post
The 5c isn't "cheap" like everyone expected
apple isn't interested in the bottom (thin margin) of the market. it's never been their business model.

the 5c might not be as cheap as some expected, but over time it will be 'on sale' more i expect, to give a sales boost now and then. the 5s is more like a fine watch - very nicely made!
Old 10-30-13, 07:52 PM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

and to all - please leave the cheap shots and 'bait' comments about other brands/platform out of this thread. if you don't like apple products, maybe better not to post.
Old 10-31-13, 05:28 AM
geko29
Oil Burner

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
until the 5s/5c (2 phones) apple was still selling the smaller 4s as well as the 5. apple has offered two phone sizes before that too with 3gs and 4.
They still "sell" the 4s--it's now their free-on-contract option.

the 5c might not be as cheap as some expected, but over time it will be 'on sale' more i expect, to give a sales boost now and then. the 5s is more like a fine watch - very nicely made!
That would surprise me very much. Except for Black Friday and back-to-school promos for students, Apple pretty much never has sales. They are very firm on pricing, including at the reseller level.
Old 10-31-13, 06:39 AM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

a 5c 16GB at best buy is $99 - not sure how this is expensive.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/ap...hone-5c-112173
Old 10-31-13, 07:45 AM
bagwell
Lexus Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by anthrax144 View Post
Do you REALLY think the "majority of iPhone buyers would like a bigger screen"? The numbers say otherwise. A fraction of iPhone buyers would like a bigger screen.
yes

you wanna bet if/when this iPhone 6 with a larger screen (or whenever the larger screen is released) comes out it will completely crush previous iphone sales and be the largest success EVER by a huge amount?

matter of fact, IMO they could release one with a 5" screen tomorrow with the 5S guts and it would dominate!
Old 10-31-13, 08:20 AM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

while tons of people are ok with iphone size, tons of others also refused to get one because the screen isn't big enough, so there's a market for both small and big screens.
Old 10-31-13, 08:26 AM
Allen K
Epic Allen

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

They almost have to release 2 versions of their next phone if they go big. A lot of people are demanding something bigger than the 4 inch screen, but for others, the 4 inch screen is plenty big. Seems like a bad move to penalize them with old tech just because they want a smaller screen. If they do stick with having only 1 new model, basically gives the small screen market to the S4 Mini/One Mini variants after a few years
Old 10-31-13, 08:36 AM
bagwell
Lexus Fanatic

while tons of people are ok with iphone size, tons of others also refused to get one because the screen isn't big enough, so there's a market for both small and big screens.
quoted for truth...I'm the latter btw....that's the only reason I gave up my 3GS. Imagine the huge chunk of customers apple lost because of this....it boggles my mind.
Old 10-31-13, 08:39 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell View Post
yes

you wanna bet if/when this iPhone 6 with a larger screen (or whenever the larger screen is released) comes out it will completely crush previous iphone sales and be the largest success EVER by a huge amount?
while im not disagreeing with you, every new gen phone that comes out (3, 4, 5, not the S') crushes the previous model sales. imo i dont think iphone users care about the screen size. theres such a huge cult following for apple products that the majority of its users dont care. look at what they dont offer that other phones do and they still kill it when it comes to sales. if X amount of people jump ship because of the screen size, i dont think they really care because they know their product will sell and they will get new buyers as their OS is idiot proof with 1 button.
Old 10-31-13, 09:39 AM
bagwell
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI View Post
while im not disagreeing with you, every new gen phone that comes out (3, 4, 5, not the S') crushes the previous model sales.
I knew someone would say this and I do understand that, but -- again IMO ---- what I'm saying is that if all the customers apple has lost by not introducing a 5" screen came back along with all current customers upgrading you would see apple dominate -- right now its share has slipped to 13.1 percent from 14.4 percent a year ago.
Old 10-31-13, 10:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K View Post
They almost have to release 2 versions of their next phone if they go big. A lot of people are demanding something bigger than the 4 inch screen, but for others, the 4 inch screen is plenty big. Seems like a bad move to penalize them with old tech just because they want a smaller screen. If they do stick with having only 1 new model, basically gives the small screen market to the S4 Mini/One Mini variants after a few years
this. if they are going to have 2 phones, make them more different including the screen sizes. since debut i have always thought the 5s and 5c are too similar from outside
Old 10-31-13, 10:34 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I knew someone would say this and I do understand that, but -- again IMO ---- what I'm saying is that if all the customers apple has lost by not introducing a 5" screen came back along with all current customers upgrading you would see apple dominate -- right now its share has slipped to 13.1 percent from 14.4 percent a year ago.
agreed it would more than likely help but i dont know if its too late to switch it up. i would think all the people that left for a bigger screen are happy where there at now. could be wrong though. i think the only reason the share drop is because they didnt intro anything new with the 5s. it will climb back next year.

Originally Posted by rominl View Post
this. if they are going to have 2 phones, make them more different including the screen sizes. since debut i have always thought the 5s and 5c are too similar from outside
thats not a bad idea. sorta like what they did for the ipad. have a regular and a mini version for the phones.
Old 10-31-13, 06:03 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still not sure why people sit here and second guess Apple's marketing strategy. They pay people hundreds of thousands of dollars to do market research and come up with a plan. Do you think you know more than those inside Apple headquarters? They've done the studies, polled the population, found out what customers do and don't want, and built a phone around that. If they thought they could make higher profits by releasing a bigger phone, why wouldn't they? They just happen to be one of the most successful companies on the planet so they have obviously done something right. Yes, in some peoples opinions, Apple could sell more phones if they released a larger screen. Apparently the experts inside Apple disagree with you or they would have done it already.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official iPhone 6 thread...

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: