The Clubhouse The Clubhouse is an area where we can post topics on all kinds of things that are not necessarily related to 'Lexus'.

The Scotch/Bourbon/Whiskey thread.

Old 02-23-13, 07:38 PM
KristaP
Empress of the Known Universe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting thread and I'd never considered or even heard of Japanese single malts. Am looking forward to sampling the Yamazaki if I can find it locally.
Old 02-24-13, 08:17 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Jameson 12 last night on whiskey stones
Old 02-24-13, 09:48 AM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KristaP View Post
Interesting thread and I'd never considered or even heard of Japanese single malts. Am looking forward to sampling the Yamazaki if I can find it locally.
I live in Chicagoland and we have a huge local chain called, "Binny's." They don't carry it from what I can tell.

I might just have to order it online.
Old 02-24-13, 09:53 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Vasili View Post
I live in Chicagoland and we have a huge local chain called, "Binny's." They don't carry it from what I can tell.

Where are you... There are few places that I know have everything. Unfortunately you might be closer to them than I.

One place is in Bannockburn. The other near Winnetka.
Old 02-24-13, 01:08 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Eh really? Binny's was my go-to when I was out there. Bought many bottles of the 18 - maybe they're just out right now. I even got this gem at the Marcey store:

Old 02-24-13, 01:40 PM
JessePS

Originally Posted by gengar View Post
I would love to take a sip of that. I need to find a Japanese whiskey bar somewhere in North America, where I can try different ones One thing is for sure, if I do have $600+ on me and I see this when I am in the US. I will for sure bring it home with me.
Old 02-24-13, 02:22 PM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gengar View Post
Eh really? Binny's was my go-to when I was out there. Bought many bottles of the 18 - maybe they're just out right now. I even got this gem at the Marcey store:

Go to Binny's website and search for Yamakazi. I came up empty. Also tried to google search Yamakazi Binny's. all I got was crickets.

I even asked the scotch expert at the Algonquin store and he said they don't carry it.
Old 02-24-13, 02:25 PM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by neurocity View Post
Where are you... There are few places that I know have everything. Unfortunately you might be closer to them than I.

One place is in Bannockburn. The other near Winnetka.
NW suburbs. What store in Bannockburn? I'll make a special trip to grab some Yamakzi. Heard great things about it. It would be worth the trip. Gives me another excuse to cruise my new GS.
Old 02-24-13, 02:57 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS View Post
I would love to take a sip of that. I need to find a Japanese whiskey bar somewhere in North America, where I can try different ones One thing is for sure, if I do have $600+ on me and I see this when I am in the US. I will for sure bring it home with me.
Ya I was amazed when I walked into Binny's that day and saw that in their special room. Look, I'm not saying that $600 isn't a lot (there's a reason I haven't opened that bottle yet right? haha), but considering only something like 300 bottles were even exported to the US, I'm wondering if I shouldn't have just bought another one (or two) while they had it.

Go to Binny's website and search for Yamakazi. I came up empty. Also tried to google search Yamakazi Binny's. all I got was crickets.

I even asked the scotch expert at the Algonquin store and he said they don't carry it.
That's a real bummer. Wonder if they just had trouble keeping it in stock or something. I won't believe Chicago people don't buy it up either, knowing how the residents of the city tend to have very good palettes.
Old 02-24-13, 04:08 PM
JessePS

I just checked, the 1984 was limited to 2500 bottles. So there is a chance, I wont find one. I wonder in like 50 years from now or even 100 years from now, someone going to auction it off for like 100x its original value.

Last edited by JessePS; 02-24-13 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-24-13, 04:22 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts

Old 02-24-13, 05:58 PM
whoster
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LA in general is home to plenty of Japanese bars that stock whiskeys.

I've got a local izakaya (japanese tapas) place just down the street that always carries both Yamazaki 12 and 18, as well as a host of other single malts. Ridiculous prices, too.
Old 02-24-13, 06:26 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts

Accounting for the still not so nice exchange rate at 94:1 and the usual double pricing structure, it is wallet hurt. The prices there, you would go crazy as in good crazy! What I'm saying is divide the cost by about half. When you hit north of 20 years, it still is a tough expense. We tried a variety of these while visiting and these made for quite an enjoyable evening.

Amusingly the Kentucky Bourbons were big $. Woodford Reserve $28-$32 here was hitting north of $75. If you talk boutique bottlings the price was easily be 3X. ( I joked about funding a trip by bringing some Kentucky Bourbon with me.) Tequila costs were also very high but rare to find.
Old 02-24-13, 06:35 PM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RA40 View Post
Yeah, that's the one. I guess I spelled it as Yamakazi, instead of Yamazaki. Oops.

At any rate, I can't find it at my local chain. I'll check around for it.
Old 02-24-13, 07:34 PM
JessePS

Yeah, that's the one. I guess I spelled it as Yamakazi, instead of Yamazaki. Oops.

At any rate, I can't find it at my local chain. I'll check around for it.
What is interesting, for the past few years Suntory has been beating out the Scots at their own game.

I did manage to find a store selling the 1984, but it seems they are selling it buy a case of 6. Who is up for a group buy? Only issue, they are in Spain.

Last edited by JessePS; 02-24-13 at 07:38 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Scotch/Bourbon/Whiskey thread.

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: