The Scotch/Bourbon/Whiskey thread. - Page 4 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > General Forums > The Clubhouse
The Scotch/Bourbon/Whiskey thread. >

The Scotch/Bourbon/Whiskey thread.

Notices
The Clubhouse The Clubhouse is an area where we can post topics on all kinds of things that are not necessarily related to 'Lexus'.

The Scotch/Bourbon/Whiskey thread.

Old 02-22-13, 07:17 PM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TripleL View Post
My house will never be without Auchentoshan or as my friends affectionately call it "The German Scotch". It feels great on the tongue, goes down smooth and has an wonderful finish. All this for ~$40 a bottle.

Good memory sir! It was the summer of 2011 the first time I had this and posted about it. I'm probably on bottle 6 by now, not sure, and I'm not counting
Just bought my first bottle of this today. Sipping some, right now.

Also picked up the Balvenie 15. Will try that one later on.
Old 02-22-13, 08:06 PM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

dola,

After sipping the Auchentoshan, I've decided it will take some time to get used to that one. Being used to the flavor of the Macallan 12, the Auchentoshan leaves a little to be desired.

OTOH, the Balvenie 15 that I just opened is pretty incredible. A little on the hot side, so I added a few drops of spring water, but it has settled down to be a fine drink.
Old 02-22-13, 08:19 PM
neurocity
Scotchy, Scotch, Scotch

Local liquor store is low on selection. I'm in Milwaukee so Macallen is almost gone. I picked up Aberlour 12. $38.00 downtown Milwaukee price, Figure its one I haven't tried.

Its pretty good. Not my favorite... but totally drinkable. Its a good table scotch. (Not sure if it will replace the Glenlivet 12)

Color of this in the bottle is awesome. I have a buddy who cuts bottles/bevels and sands into drinking glasses. A bunch of Jamo bottles are in my cabinet now. This bottle... will be cut. Its cool as hell. Fat opening for pouring. Wood/cork stopper. The usual scotch stuff.

I'm two glasses in. Second glass I like better than the first.

Old 02-22-13, 08:24 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

posts are going to start getting interesting
Old 02-22-13, 08:45 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Drinking this tonight. I just cant get over how smooth it is.
Old 02-22-13, 09:44 PM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kalogerus View Post

Drinking this tonight. I just cant get over how smooth it is.
My fave!

Can't wait to try the Macallan 18 sometime.

Had a bottle of the 10 year old fine oak last week. Not bad, but it isn't as smooth as the Macallan 12, IMHO.

Been thinking about the Cask Strength for the future. Hmmm...
Old 02-23-13, 10:13 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Maker's Mark is one I gifted to my step dad. He went on a tour of the distillery and has been a fan ever since. I bought him a limited addition bottle as a gift, I think the wax seal is pretty cool on the bottle. Can't really give a review, only whiskey I drink is with my friend who owns a bar and its with "3 ice cubes and a splash of soda"(Thats how he told me I should drink, if not just on the rocks). Didn't even bother to get the name of the whiskey he was serving.
Old 02-23-13, 02:52 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

matt, for a few bucks more, the aberlour a'bunadh is really good
Old 02-23-13, 05:11 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Originally Posted by Vasili View Post
dola,

After sipping the Auchentoshan, I've decided it will take some time to get used to that one. Being used to the flavor of the Macallan 12, the Auchentoshan leaves a little to be desired.

OTOH, the Balvenie 15 that I just opened is pretty incredible. A little on the hot side, so I added a few drops of spring water, but it has settled down to be a fine drink.
Agreed it's not Mac12, but we do enjoy it. We do turn to it a lot as a 'second' or 'third' drink of the night. YMMV either way there are so many good Scotches out there to play around with!
Old 02-23-13, 06:02 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

What a great thread! I'm always looking for new stuff to try. Couple quick comments on previous posts:

I'll second whoster's recommendation of the Doublewood for the Balvenie fans.

Macallan 18 - I think the 18 is richer and has more interesting flavors (think of the feeling when drinking a proper big red cabernet or something) than the 12 does, all while being smoother. Of course, only you can decide if it is worth the price difference.

Also I noticed many of the Macallan lovers said they liked the sherry cask Macallan varieties. As an alternative to try, I would suggest Springbank 10, which is more peaty but still retains a distinct sherry flavor. In addition, I find it far more interesting than the Macallan 12 as there are a lot of complex flavors. Springbank also has the distinction of being one of only a very few distilleries in Scotland that still handles the entire process of making whisky (i.e., including malting, distilling, and bottling.) I haven't bought a bottle in a few years but I recall it was not too expensive either, maybe $60-70.

Talisker is my favorite among Scotland's distilleries. I think sometimes I'm just in the mood for some peppery peaty goodness and Talisker always delivers. Even the 10 is quite good. For those not as much into that peper peat but still want to figure out what Talisker's about, the 57 North edition (which used to be only available at duty free) is really good as well and is a little gentler.

I've also found Highland Park is quite good, but mostly the older (and pricier) ages. The 15 is my favorite of the younger ages but uses a different barrel combination than most of the other ages. Still worth a try though, depending on your budget.

All that said, I simply do not think you can beat Yamazaki at anywhere resembling the price. The 18 is just phenomenal. Despite having a lot of flavors, it's so incredibly balanced between the spicyness and sweetness with a bit of smoky peat to round it off. The 12 is something that anyone can drink - incredibly smooth, medium-bodied, very little (if any) taste of peat, but just enough complexity to be satisfying. It'd be nearly perfect if it was just a little more interesting on the nose.

BTW, for those that want to get into scotch or want to get others into scotch, my go-to is the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, which is finished in port casks. I've gotten a lot of non-Scotch drinkers (especially those of the fairer gender) into scotch on the back of this product alone. It's super light and smooth so avoids some of the more complex aspects of scotch that tend to be more offensive to new drinkers, while still retaining enough scotch and Glenmorangie character to be a good intro (which I can't say for Glenmorangie's other special-finish products). Give it a shot!
Old 02-23-13, 06:57 PM
neurocity
Scotchy, Scotch, Scotch

Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
matt, for a few bucks more, the aberlour a'bunadh is really good
Awesome... I'll check it out. the only thing at the local liquor store was the Mac's 10/12 years. Glenfiddich, Walkers, Red, green, and Gold, Glen Moray, which Ive had. And this Aberlour 12.

Going to watch Training Day and finish my Macallen.

Question.

I'm noticing all these online scotch retailers. One in general sells samples. I think I'm going to get a bunch of samples from them.

Anyone else have an online sites they use.
Old 02-23-13, 07:08 PM
armanitran
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gengar View Post
What a great thread! I'm always looking for new stuff to try. Couple quick comments on previous posts:

I'll second whoster's recommendation of the Doublewood for the Balvenie fans.

Macallan 18 - I think the 18 is richer and has more interesting flavors (think of the feeling when drinking a proper big red cabernet or something) than the 12 does, all while being smoother. Of course, only you can decide if it is worth the price difference.

Also I noticed many of the Macallan lovers said they liked the sherry cask Macallan varieties. As an alternative to try, I would suggest Springbank 10, which is more peaty but still retains a distinct sherry flavor. In addition, I find it far more interesting than the Macallan 12 as there are a lot of complex flavors. Springbank also has the distinction of being one of only a very few distilleries in Scotland that still handles the entire process of making whisky (i.e., including malting, distilling, and bottling.) I haven't bought a bottle in a few years but I recall it was not too expensive either, maybe $60-70.

Talisker is my favorite among Scotland's distilleries. I think sometimes I'm just in the mood for some peppery peaty goodness and Talisker always delivers. Even the 10 is quite good. For those not as much into that peper peat but still want to figure out what Talisker's about, the 57 North edition (which used to be only available at duty free) is really good as well and is a little gentler.

I've also found Highland Park is quite good, but mostly the older (and pricier) ages. The 15 is my favorite of the younger ages but uses a different barrel combination than most of the other ages. Still worth a try though, depending on your budget.

All that said, I simply do not think you can beat Yamazaki at anywhere resembling the price. The 18 is just phenomenal. Despite having a lot of flavors, it's so incredibly balanced between the spicyness and sweetness with a bit of smoky peat to round it off. The 12 is something that anyone can drink - incredibly smooth, medium-bodied, very little (if any) taste of peat, but just enough complexity to be satisfying. It'd be nearly perfect if it was just a little more interesting on the nose.

BTW, for those that want to get into scotch or want to get others into scotch, my go-to is the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, which is finished in port casks. I've gotten a lot of non-Scotch drinkers (especially those of the fairer gender) into scotch on the back of this product alone. It's super light and smooth so avoids some of the more complex aspects of scotch that tend to be more offensive to new drinkers, while still retaining enough scotch and Glenmorangie character to be a good intro (which I can't say for Glenmorangie's other special-finish products). Give it a shot!
Macallan 18 is definitely my choice over the 12 (:
Old 02-23-13, 07:35 PM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

Agreed it's not Mac12, but we do enjoy it. We do turn to it a lot as a 'second' or 'third' drink of the night. YMMV either way there are so many good Scotches out there to play around with!
True, there are a ton.

The last two nights, I have made it the first, and then moved on to the better...more expensive...stuff.

Maybe your way is better. Drink the good stuff first and after a couple of those, taste becomes secondary because of the buzz?

hmmm...
Old 02-23-13, 07:43 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Originally Posted by Vasili View Post
True, there are a ton.

The last two nights, I have made it the first, and then moved on to the better...more expensive...stuff.

Maybe your way is better. Drink the good stuff first and after a couple of those, taste becomes secondary because of the buzz?

hmmm...
We've found that the virgin palette deserves the best Then we move on
Old 02-23-13, 08:01 PM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

We've found that the virgin palette deserves the best Then we move on
Will flip it around tomorrow night.

Thanks, for the advice!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Scotch/Bourbon/Whiskey thread.

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: