portable a/c for 1 room versus using central a/c...? - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

The Clubhouse The Clubhouse is an area where we can post topics on all kinds of things that are not necessarily related to 'Lexus'.

portable a/c for 1 room versus using central a/c...?

Old 08-06-12, 08:12 AM   #1
bagwell
Lexus Fanatic

Default portable a/c for 1 room versus using central a/c...?

would a "portable ac unit" (see pic) be much cheaper to operate cooling my master bedroom at nite versus running my central ac?
only my wife and I so its the only room I need cooled at nite.

or would this be a ghetto solution? I mean I could make a nicer, more permanent install exhausting thru the wall rather than thru a window.

Attached Thumbnails
portable a/c for 1 room versus using central a/c...?-roomac.jpg  

Last edited by bagwell; 08-06-12 at 08:16 AM.
bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-12, 08:17 AM   #2
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

this is how hotel rooms do it already, each room has its own AC unit. Why cool the entire building when you only need to cool occupied rooms. I can see this saving money if you primary use a few rooms. We have one of these around 12000 BTU but they are a bit loud to me if you try to sleep in the same room. But I'm a light sleeper and I will wear earplugs.

Our AC goes down a few times a year and having a unit like this around is very handy. I also have a portable generator that can power this so in case of a sustained power outage or hurricane I will have A/C.
4TehNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-12, 09:10 AM   #3
BrettJacks
Lexus Champion

I use one of those occasionally when I'm at my parents house(no central A/C). The thing is too damn loud at night. During the day it never seems to get below 78 degrees, but i'm not sure what the BTUs on it are.
BrettJacks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-12, 09:44 AM   #4
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

I have a window unit installed through the wall in the kitchen, primarily to take heat loads out of the room when cooking in the summertime. I also have two of our three bedrooms framed and wired with 220V for window units (only cutting through the exterior sheathing and siding, plus the interior sheathing and drywall is needed to install). Yes, it makes good sense, and will save a good deal of money - if you only need to cool one room and you size the unit appropriately for the job.

Don't buy one of the price-leader 4-5000 btu air conditioners without a thermostat. We used one on the boat for years after friends warned us about this. In a small space, even an undersized unit - depending on outside air temperature - can freeze your butt. If it can't shut off the compressor it can turn the space into a meat locker.

Although they are kinda pricey, I'd be tempted to look into one of the Mitsubishi "ductless" air conditioners. They are super efficient and move the noisy parts outside.

Lil4X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-12, 09:45 AM   #5
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

I have a window unit installed through the wall in the kitchen, primarily to take heat loads out of the room when cooking in the summertime. I also have two of our three bedrooms framed and wired with 220V for window units (only cutting through the exterior sheathing and siding, plus the interior sheathing and drywall is needed to install). Yes, it makes good sense, and will save a good deal of money - if you only need to cool one room and you size the unit appropriately for the job.

Don't buy one of the price-leader 4-5000 btu air conditioners without a thermostat. We used one on the boat for years after friends warned us about this. In a small space, even an undersized unit - depending on outside air temperature - can freeze your butt. If it can't shut off the compressor it can turn the space into a meat locker.

Although they are kinda pricey, I'd be tempted to look into one of the Mitsubishi "ductless" air conditioners. They are super efficient and move the noisy parts outside.

http://www.mitsubishielectric.com/bu/air/index.html
Lil4X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-12, 10:52 AM   #6
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

^^ +1 on mits units ... was at a client with one - works well and QUIET compared to alternartives.
bitkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-12, 11:21 AM   #7
bagwell
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil4X View Post
ductless yes but still have to get the outside and the inside unit together + condensation water drainage/etc.

bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-12, 12:02 PM   #8
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

^ True. We just installed 2 at work last winter in our downstairs room at work and those things are great but very pricey.
IXI187IXI is offline   Reply With Quote