Official Android Thread - Page 361 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

The Clubhouse The Clubhouse is an area where we can post topics on all kinds of things that are not necessarily related to 'Lexus'.

Official Android Thread

Old 11-13-18, 07:42 AM
LexRuger
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
lol, doesn't bother me in the slightest. best phone i've ever had.
I forgot you had one. No offense bro
Old 11-13-18, 06:51 PM
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic

t. best phone i've ever had.
What makes it so? I had two Google phones before my current phone. I really liked them.
Old 11-13-18, 09:17 PM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill View Post
What makes it so? I had two Google phones before my current phone. I really liked them.
i personally don't like phone vendor software (particularly samsung) layered on top of Android. samsung does a particularly lousy job in that out of the box you get two ways to do many things - the google app or the samsung app. samsung doesn't even want to use google's assistant, instead defaulting to their own 'bixby'. so a google phone with 'pure android' is very appealing to me. it's also appealing because other vendor phones take forever to get android updates (even security fixes) because the vendor gets the android update, retrofits their stuff on top and then the carrier retrofits their stuff on top of all that if the phone's bought from a carrier. so no thanks, i buy a google phone from google. not tied to any carrier, and i get android updates right away. and selling a phone not through a carrier later is trivial with swappa.com.

the pixel 3xl is the best phone *i've* had because obviously it's the fastest for one, it has the best camera for two, it has the best screen i've owned for three, it has the largest screen to body ratio (thinner bezels) i've ever had for four. battery life is excellent (although actually not quite as good as the 2xl i had before, which had a slightly larger battery plus i believe that screen consumed less juice, or maybe i just use the 3xl more )

Old 11-14-18, 05:56 AM
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic

i personally don't like phone vendor software (particularly samsung) layered on top of Android. samsung does a particularly lousy job in that out of the box you get two ways to do many things - the google app or the samsung app. samsung doesn't even want to use google's assistant, instead defaulting to their own 'bixby'. so a google phone with 'pure android' is very appealing to me.
Just so you know, for the future there are a number of Android phones that offer "pure" Android with no skin overlay. Not sure if Samsung still does but they did offer the Galaxy at one time.

the pixel 3xl is the best phone *i've* had because obviously it's the fastest for one, it has the best camera for two, it has the best screen i've owned for three, it has the largest screen to body ratio (thinner bezels) i've ever had for four. battery life is excellent (although actually not quite as good as the 2xl i had before, which had a slightly larger battery plus i believe that screen consumed less juice, or maybe i just use the 3xl more )
Thanks, I always liked my Google phone until the screen went goodbye.
Does the Google feature in your G90 sync with your Google phone?
Old 11-14-18, 09:02 AM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Just so you know, for the future there are a number of Android phones that offer "pure" Android with no skin overlay. Not sure if Samsung still does but they did offer the Galaxy at one time.
samsung has never offered a pure android experience as far as i know. they've offered unlocked developer phones, but that's different. but yes, oneplus and nokia offer pretty close to pure android experiences which is great. the oneplus i believe 6t model? seems like an excellent phone.

Does the Google feature in your G90 sync with your Google phone?
the g90 'google button' works independently of the phone (g90 must have its own cell service i guess although i don't pay anything for it). g90 doesn't yet have android auto / apple carplay but apparently that's coming in the '20 refresh. by '21 i'll be ready for my next vehicle which may be that or a genesis suv, or something else entirely.
Old 11-14-18, 11:18 AM
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic

samsung has never offered a pure android experience as far as i know. they've offered unlocked developer phones, but that's different. but yes, oneplus and nokia offer pretty close to pure android experiences which is great. the oneplus i believe 6t model? seems like an excellent phone.
Samsung certainly offered a pure android phone. It was a special edition called the Google Play Edition. I am not sure if it is still available. The very first ever Google Phone was a Samsung, they also have Google Nexus tablets, I had it and then had the Nexus phone. I am with you though, the Samsung skin on top of Android is definitely not for me.

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i95...review-951.php

Last edited by LexsCTJill; 11-14-18 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-14-18, 11:30 AM
Mike728
Lexus Champion

.... The very first ever Google Phone was a Samsung,
Actually, it was HTC.
Old 11-14-18, 11:33 AM
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike728 View Post
Actually, it was HTC.
well maybe the second or third it was Samsung.
Old 11-14-18, 05:29 PM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

yup, second apparently, 8 years ago...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_phone
Old 11-14-18, 07:57 PM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

so google just released night sight mode in the camera app. i believe this is only for google pixel 3 / 3xl phones right now, not sure. anyway, it's a complete game changer as far as photography. i took a picture in my living room in almost complete darkness, and phone says 'hold steady' while a progress circle goes around for about 10 seconds. after that, a PERFECTLY LIT photo emerges...

but don't take my word for it...

https://www.cnet.com/news/night-sigh...-3-is-awesome/
Old 11-14-18, 08:13 PM
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic

so google just released night sight mode in the camera app. i believe this is only for google pixel 3 / 3xl phones right now, not sure. anyway, it's a complete game changer as far as photography. i took a picture in my living room in almost complete darkness, and phone says 'hold steady' while a progress circle goes around for about 10 seconds. after that, a PERFECTLY LIT photo emerges...

but don't take my word for it...

https://www.cnet.com/news/night-sigh...-3-is-awesome/
I wonder if this is just software or actual hardware. Past Google phones are getting the update. Nice feature.
Old 11-17-18, 08:57 PM
bagwell
Lexus Fanatic

OnePlus 6T 'McLaren Edition'

• The OnePlus 6T "McLaren Edition" has incredible specs and performance, and it's still cheaper than the majority of the competing smartphones from bigger companies.
  • It also comes with an astoundingly fast charging brick. It's stunningly quick.
  • And yet, it's hard to recommend when the regular OnePlus 6T models are already so good and cost less than the McLaren Edition.
  • The McLaren Edition is like McLaren cars themselves: supreme performance that few people really need.
Somehow, OnePlus continues to one-up not only the competition, but its own phones, which are already some of the best Android phones you can buy. The $700 OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition comes with 10GB of RAM and 256GB of storage, making it the most powerful and fastest smartphone OnePlus — and probably any smartphone maker — has released to date.

And yet, the McLaren Edition OnePlus 6T is still cheaper than rival smartphones from big names like Samsung, LG, Google, and Apple.The McLaren Edition also comes with OnePlus' new "Warp Charge" charging brick, and I've never seen a phone charge as quickly. It's absurdly fast and it decimates competing fast-chargers. It's even faster than OnePlus' own standard Dash Charge, which was already the fastest charging brick available for any smartphone.Apart from the RAM, some design touches, and Warp Charge, the McLaren Edition is pretty much identical to the regular OnePlus 6T models.

Should you feel like you're missing out if you recently bought a OnePlus 6 or OnePlus 6T?

No, you shouldn't feel like you're missing out. To be honest, I didn't sense much of a performance upgrade with the OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition and its 10GB of RAM over the model with 8GB of RAM. It's possible that that the standard 6GB model might seem a little slower, but OnePlus phones are already some of the fastest Android smartphones you can buy.If you bought either the OnePlus 6 or OnePlus 6T, you still have one of the best Android smartphones you can buy, and you paid hundreds of dollars less than you would have with some of the big-name phones. In a way, the McLaren Edition actually highlights just how good the regular OnePlus 6 and OnePlus 6T are.

The OnePlus 6T with 8GB of RAM. Antonio VIllas-Boas/Business Insider And even if you're looking to upgrade from an older phone, the OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition wouldn't be my first recommendation. 10GB of RAM is overkill for most users, and there's little justification for spending $700 on a smartphone with so much RAM when the $580 OnePlus 6T with 8GB of RAM already exists. In fact, most smartphone users don't even need 8GB of RAM, but the OnePlus 6T with 8GB of RAM is so inexpensive compared to the competition that I'd recommend it to everyone regardless.With that said, if you want 256GB of storage, the McLaren Edition might actually be worth a serious look. The only other OnePlus 6T model with 256GB of storage costs $630, and it has 8GB of RAM. For $70 extra, the extra 2GB of RAM and Warp Charging brick make a compelling case.The McLaren Edition is a little bit like McLaren cars themselves: uncompromising performance and quality that certainly have a place in the world, but something few people need on a day-to-day basis. Still, at $700, you'd still be paying less than with competing smartphones.Had it included wireless charging and an official water-resistance rating — things that the regular models also don't have — the OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition would be much easier to recommend for the $700 price tag.

https://www.businessinsider.com/onep...pgrade-2018-12

Last edited by bagwell; 12-13-18 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-31-18, 10:34 AM
RX469
Lexus Champion

Post Migrate iOS WhatsApp to Andorid

Hello all, so I'm still in love with my Note9 and have only one setup hiccup and that is, how to migrate my WhatsApp history from iOS to my Android??

So iOS wants you to backup to iCloud while Android allows you to backup to Google Drive and of course these applications do not communicate with each other. There's so much confusion on the interwebs about this topic that allot of it seems like smoke and mirrors.

Have anyone been successful with migrating their iOS WhatsApp history to a new Android device?
Old 01-01-19, 07:05 PM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Old 01-03-19, 11:32 AM
RX469
Lexus Champion

Thanks Bit. This was one of the options I looked at and they don't seem to work though...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official Android Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: